Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the best jeep to buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Yeah but want something to throw the kids into as well. Cheap tax on them.

When u say cheap ... 270?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Legally u would need to use the tractor if the box was full.

Pajero here is rated for 3300. If over 3500 it's still illegal behind the tractor,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Kinda in a similar situation here. Thinking of upgrading to a crew cab, I've wrecked a few cars. What's d story with insurance on a commercial vehicle. I've been told I'll lose my private no claims bonus, it also impacts open driving and my driving of other vehicles ( terribly confusing for me to be able explain ) .

You must cancel the insurance on your domestic vehicle to carry the no claims across.
    Anyone over 25 with a full Irish license can drive vehicle but you don't have any cover getting into a different car like you might have with non commercial insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You must cancel the insurance on your domestic vehicle to carry the no claims across.
    Anyone over 25 with a full Irish license can drive vehicle but you don't have any cover getting into a different car like you might have with non commercial insurance

Another load of bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

I’m in the same boat myself. Do about 12,000 miles a year to work then school runs, after school activities etc. and then draw a good few cattle from marts and to factory with a tri axel etc. Running an old jeep and an old car at the minute. Was thinking about getting rid of both and buying a crew cab but filling with diesel to go to work would be painful.
    If just pulling an 8x4 would a van do your job? Much easier ran than a Jeep.

Yes maybe a caddy or berlingo/partner would do the job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I’d no problem with the Tri axle behind the crew cab, but I’d be in high 4wd (as crewcabs are light behind).
    The other thing is legally the crew cab shouldn’t be pulling a triaxel (towing weight)

What advantage would high 4wd have over 2wd in this situation? I thought 4wd was only for use on slippery or loose surfaces and that driving for long periods on the road with it engaged would damage the drive train. I use low 4wd when driving down steep hills or reversing into awkward spots to save the clutch but would change back in high 2wd when back out on the open road.

As for the crew cab being light behind I agree but I also think how you load the trailer has a massive bearing on stability. I always try to tighten up half loads with the dividing gate to keep weight on the jeep, with full loads you just have to drive accordingly. A lad put on 2 weanlings (maybe 300kg a piece) for me at the mart one day. the dividing gate was closed half way and he left them on the back rather than putting them up the front. I only had about 10 miles to go with them but thought I never would make the house. On the straight the trailer was twitching and going round corners I was nearly back in 1st to stop it fish tailing, I never crossed 35kmh the whole way back because I'm sure all would have ended up down the field if I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Yes maybe a caddy or berlingo/partner would do the job

They've no towing capacity worth talking about.

Bigger vans will be plated for about 2000kg

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭josephsoap

What advantage would high 4wd have over 2wd in this situation? I thought 4wd was only for use on slippery or loose surfaces and that driving for long periods on the road with it engaged would damage the drive train. I use low 4wd when driving down steep hills or reversing into awkward spots to save the clutch but would change back in high 2wd when back out on the open road.

As for the crew cab being light behind I agree but I also think how you load the trailer has a massive bearing on stability. I always try to tighten up half loads with the dividing gate to keep weight on the jeep, with full loads you just have to drive accordingly. A lad put on 2 weanlings (maybe 300kg a piece) for me at the mart one day. the dividing gate was closed half way and he left them on the back rather than putting them up the front. I only had about 10 miles to go with them but thought I never would make the house. On the straight the trailer was twitching and going round corners I was nearly back in 1st to stop it fish tailing, I never crossed 35kmh the whole way back because I'm sure all would have ended up down the field if I had.

What type of rig have you Albert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Muckit wrote: »
    When u say cheap ... 270?

300 odd I think. Maybe not cheap but cheaper than what I’m paying on a 05 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Anyone had a Ford Ranger? What are they like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What sort of crew cab have you? Hopefully the license would cover you if stopped.

L200
    Pulled a neighbours Ifor triaxel for a few weeks when his Jeep was in the garage.
    Far ahead of the double when empty, just glides behind Jeep.
    No problem with a full load
    Had a half one day, you could find the load move on a corner, so we pulled into a friends yard and made him split them
    Have the BE

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

i notice around marts,alot of lads don't have the ball hitch on the jeep in the upper holes to put that bit extra weight on the jeep for better stability when out towing on the highway.

Not on the L200 just wear tyres more
    The high 4wd is to give more traction especially on corners
    Found the Low box hard to use as the diff is on, especially reversing with a load up a hill (Dowra mart)
    Always load to the front, found years ago with trooper I was doing the snake with 2 cows in a 12x5, swore never again.
    dividing gate is a blessing

Nobbies wrote: »
    i notice around marts,alot of lads don't have the ball hitch on the jeep in the upper holes to put that bit extra weight on the jeep for better stability when out towing on the highway.

Would you need the higher tyres on the trailer?
    650’s rather than 600’s

josephsoap wrote: »
    What type of rig have you Albert ?

I had a 02 lwb land cruiser for a few years but it was getting too expensive to keep tested and suffered from general wear and tear so I opted for a single cab 08 Ford ranger about 3 months ago. I'm happy enough so far, only real difference I see is it's easier on diesel apart from that there pretty similar imo anyway. I'd have bought a similar age land cruiser but there over priced imo and I couldn't find a well minded rust free example.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Would you need the higher tyres on the trailer?
    650’s rather than 600’s

I,ve only the 600s on mine. had the hitch in the lower holes myself for awhile when 1st got a jeep. moved it up and don't get that same sway on jeep being controlled by the trailer load.

Not on the L200 just wear tyres more
    The high 4wd is to give more traction especially on corners
    Found the Low box hard to use as the diff is on, especially reversing with a load up a hill (Dowra mart)
    Always load to the front, found years ago with trooper I was doing the snake with 2 cows in a 12x5, swore never again.
    dividing gate is a blessing

It's not something I've ever attempted but if it works then that's all that matters. I find the low box a great job in tricky spots, the jeep will creep away without over revving it or riding the clutch. Granted if your turning tight on solid ground it will scrubbed the tyres but there cheaper than a clutch and easier changed. Dowra is somewhat exceptional as regards awkwardness, a serious short hill up to it and zero room for expansion.

I had a 02 lwb land cruiser for a few years but it was getting too expensive to keep tested and suffered from general wear and tear so I opted for a single cab 08 Ford ranger about 3 months ago. I'm happy enough so far, only real difference I see is it's easier on diesel apart from that there pretty similar imo anyway. I'd have bought a similar age land cruiser but there over priced imo and I couldn't find a well minded rust free example.

What sort of miles are you getting on a full tank of diesel in the ranger? I have been looking, these can be picked up for good value in the UK.

They've no towing capacity worth talking about.

Bigger vans will be plated for about 2000kg

What do you recommend so?

L200
    Pulled a neighbours Ifor triaxel for a few weeks when his Jeep was in the garage.
    Far ahead of the double when empty, just glides behind Jeep.
    No problem with a full load
    Had a half one day, you could find the load move on a corner, so we pulled into a friends yard and made him split them
    Have the BE

How you find the l200? Had it narrowed down to a dmax or a high lux. Never thought too much about the l200 and I believe the ranger is hard on juice.

• Advertisement

What sort of miles are you getting on a full tank of diesel in the ranger? I have been looking, these can be picked up for good value in the UK.

I've had the ranger about 3 months and have put up nearly 5000 miles in that time. From some rough calculations I'm getting somewhere in the region of 30-32 mpg for mixed journeys including a fair bit of towing. If I left off the trailer it might stretch to nearer 35 mpg or drop to late 20's if doing a lot of heavy work. The land cruiser would have been a good bit heavier on diesel, it had a 90 litre tank compared to 70 litre on the ranger. From what I see they'll both do roughly similar milage on a full tank only the ranger will have 20 litres less fuel used.

I've had the ranger about 3 months and have put up nearly 5000 miles in that time. From some rough calculations I'm getting somewhere in the region of 30-32 mpg for mixed journeys including a fair bit of towing. If I left off the trailer it might stretch to nearer 35 mpg or drop to late 20's if doing a lot of heavy work. The land cruiser would have been a good bit heavier on diesel, it had a 90 litre tank compared to 70 litre on the ranger. From what I see they'll both do roughly similar milage on a full tank only the ranger will have 20 litres less fuel used.

Are these rangers all 2.2 litres? What are they like to pull?

Are these rangers all 2.2 litres? What are they like to pull?

No mine is a 2.5 litre and I find it almost as powerful as the 3 litre land cruiser it replaced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Why the hell isnt a company of some description making a replica of the 3.1 trooper.
    We have had 2 3.1l troopers and now working a 3l with a 3.1l engine. Absolute workhorse.
    Does everything here drawing cattle to weekly shop.

How you find the l200? Had it narrowed down to a dmax or a high lux. Never thought too much about the l200 and I believe the ranger is hard on juice.

I like it, I’ve given it serious abuse and it’s stood up to it.
    It’s the 06 model, I’ll miss it when OH puts boot in for 7 seater
    No matter what you get see, I’d insist on high low box rather than button because it in snow you want to be in hi 4wd without diff on

Nobbies wrote: »
    I,ve only the 600s on mine. had the hitch in the lower holes myself for awhile when 1st got a jeep. moved it up and don't get that same sway on jeep being controlled by the trailer load.

The 650’s are supposed to be easier on fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Why the hell isnt a company of some description making a replica of the 3.1 trooper.
    We have had 2 3.1l troopers and now working a 3l with a 3.1l engine. Absolute workhorse.
    Does everything here drawing cattle to weekly shop.

Probably because of emission regulations.
    EGR valves, DPF's and ECU fired injectors all required to meet emission standards.
    Ironically they sometimes burn more diesel than older simpler models as a result of DPF re-gen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

... in snow you want to be in hi 4wd without diff on

Agreed.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

What do you recommend so?
    2008 2.2 honda crv
    2008 ford kuga (probably out of budget)
    2005 Suzuki vitara xl7

Avoid 2006+ 2.2 sante fé

Anything bigger will have much higher running costs.
    A 2.0hdi dispatch/expert has a 2000kg towing capacity and would be pretty easy ran.

A few cars have a 2000kg towing capacity too.

If you've the cash to buy and run one a BMW x5 could also suit. Definitely well able to tow and comfy to commute in. The 3.0 6 cylinder m57 engine is a solid and relatively reliabile lump too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

Anything bigger will have much higher running costs.
    A 2.0hdi dispatch/expert has a 2000kg towing capacity and would be pretty easy ran.

A few cars have a 2000kg towing capacity too.

If you've the cash to buy and run one a BMW x5 could also suit. Definitely well able to tow and comfy to commute in. The 3.0 6 cylinder m57 engine is a solid and relatively reliabile lump too.

Tax and gearboxes are an issue with the x5.

Advertisement