Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    With an absolute majority one would assume. How would that tally with the GFA? It's ardent defenders the DUP will ensure it is protected of course.

I think so.

But it's still economic madness to have to have such a debate every 4 years. Very destabilising for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Significant update:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184508027728257025

Fascinated to see how they expect to win over the DUP on the so-called consent issue.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 53,756 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Scotland will be in an uproar with the NI situation

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Significant update:

Fascinated to see how they expect to win over the DUP on the so-called consent issue.

They won't if history is anything to go by. Why would the DUP change a lifetime of being awkward to become suddenly helpful ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,300 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Significant update:

Very confusing given the DUP are still out on the airwaves with demands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They're annoyed with the EU spilling the beans! I think they want to announce it themselves "reluctantly" upon mature reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,300 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

is_that_so wrote: »
    They're annoyed with the EU spilling the beans! I think they want to announce it themselves "reluctantly" upon mature reflection.

That or they are under a bus. Is Boris going to try do it without them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Reuters reporting the NI assembly would have a vote every 4 years and this has now been agreed.

Johnathan Powell on Sky News now...

Still lots of questions if this is true

Is it opt-in or opt-out?

Isn't now the time to agree what happens in the event of the sea border being done away with some day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe the Tory whips think they have enough Labour votes, they have been talking after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think it has more to do with them not being able to control the narrative on this. The DUP always fancied themselves as a big player in this, today, that changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any word yet on how the NI consent vote works?

Maybe the Tory whips think they have enough Labour votes, they have been talking after all.

It's as good a call as any harry in this mental mess that brexit was at the start and has played out as such. Maybe the Tory whips have got the calculator out and carried the one and found themselves at the magic number to get a deal through Parliament and discovery that the Northern Ireland votes aren't needed. That would stink for Mrs Foster and her party a bit.

Sounds like Johnson's side expect they will have a job selling it:

https://twitter.com/TimesONeill/status/1184513931634790400

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

That or they are under a bus. Is Boris going to try do it without them?
    With or without them! If he can find numbers elsewhere he might but as they are already inside the tent he'd rather have them on board I suspect.

Sounds like Johnson's side expect they will have a job selling it:

https://twitter.com/TimesONeill/status/1184513931634790400

So Boris is going to have to break out the old used car sales man lark is it ? I can't see boris Johnson being like Boycie from only fools myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When will we find out all the greasy details of this deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Any word yet on how the NI consent vote works?

No, that's what they're debating right now with no details yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's as good a call as any harry in this mental mess that brexit was at the start and has played out as such. Maybe the Tory whips have got the calculator out and carried the one and found themselves at the magic number to get a deal through Parliament and discovery that the Northern Ireland votes aren't needed. That would stink for Mrs Foster and her party a bit.

Of course some of those notional Labour votes might have a pang of conscience about "selling the DUP down the river"

What a poser for Kate Hoey

Of course some of those notional Labour votes might have a pang of conscience about "selling the DUP down the river"

When you say votes do you mean vote ? I ask because outside of Kate Hoey who is technically in labour who else would feel concerned about throwing the DUP metephorically under the bus ?

I think it's a fair that's been made on BBC five live by Anna foster who is in Brussels prior to the summit tomorrow. It's that while it's encouraging to be at this point but "we've been here before six months ago." I'm not saying any posters here are getting ahead of themselves and I think it's wise to just stall the digger just a bit. There are many more steps to go before we might be able to open the slightly warm champagne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

The Guardian referring to Tony Connelly as the man who moves markets.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    The Guardian referring to Tony Connelly as the man who moves markets.

Well he seems to have gold plated sources and is the guy that is seriously in the know and not like some of the British journalists.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Are we any further forward on knowing what this loophole is that Boris intends to use to get around the Benn Act, should a deal not be agreed or one be agreed but rejected by Parliament?

There's still talk about it today in the media that he will comply with the law but still leave at the end of October and it seems that there's been clear instructions to keep it quiet internally in the Tory party as you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

devnull wrote: »
    Are we any further forward on knowing what this loophole is that Boris intends to use to get around the Benn Act, should a deal not be agreed or one be agreed but rejected by Parliament?

There's still talk about it today in the media that he will comply with the law but still leave at the end of October and it seems that there's been clear instructions to keep it quiet internally in the Tory party as you'd expect.

just piss the EU off enough that they say no, he only has to ask for an extension, not be granted one, could just ask for one and ask them to decline it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly regardless of a deal or no deal I simply cannot see anything passing the HoC right now UNLESS any deal comes with a referendum on that deal vs remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Regarding NI; If it all comes to pass, and the NI Assembly consent vote every 4 years gets the rubber stamp, it could have the effect of re-cementing the polarised politics of the north with no return to the pre-brexit moderation of NI politics we had begun to see. Everything will be framed as nationalists trying to pull NI out of the UK and vice versa.

To think it's not even four years since people were widely commenting on how much the "middle ground" in NI politics had grown and parties like the Alliance were a mainstay at the big table. This whole fiasco has been such a mess.

Perhaps we shouldn't get too excited for news this evening.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1184528909850812416

Another version of where the DUP might be at!

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1184362807523008513

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So the Sterling is gone up 5c against the Euro to a five month high of €1.16 - do people think it's going to continue to go up now or is it impossible to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So, can someone clear this up for me.

If this deal goes through, does the rest of the UK still leave the SM and CU? So in essence they get their hard Brexit at the expense of NI?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement