Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have a cheque or draft question?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Sterling bank draft purchased in Bank or Ireland branch in Monaghan. This was lodged to my bank account in Natwest UK, London. 

I've now received a letter from Natwest stating that they're treating it as an 'unpaid cheque'. 

The reason is that it was returned to them by the issuer (i.e. Bank of Ireland) due to poor image quality. How can Bank of Ireland return a draft that the bank itself has issued :confused: :confused: What's the point of a bank draft in that case....

This is really annoying. Would appreciate a response asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

petros1980 wrote: »
    Sterling bank draft purchased in Bank or Ireland branch in Monaghan. This was lodged to my bank account in Natwest UK, London. 

I've now received a letter from Natwest stating that they're treating it as an 'unpaid cheque'. 

The reason is that it was returned to them by the issuer (i.e. Bank of Ireland) due to poor image quality. How can Bank of Ireland return a draft that the bank itself has issued :confused: :confused: What's the point of a bank draft in that case....

Hi petros1980,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

In this instance, you need to ask your bank to present a clearer image of the draft when resubmitting it to us for payment. Sorry if your own bank wasn't clear about this process.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

petros1980 wrote: »

Hi petros1980,

In this instance, you need to ask your bank to present a clearer image of the draft when resubmitting it to us for payment. Sorry if your own bank wasn't clear about this process.

Thanks
    Tara
    Thanks Tara.

So to clarify - the normal process for clearance is for my bank in UK, Natwest, to send an image of the draft to Bank of Ireland in order to release the funds; not the draft itself? 

The whole process seems crazy though; shouldn't Bank Of Ireland have gotten in touch with Natwest and requested a clearer image rather than just rejecting it and wasting a lot of time???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Thanks for getting back to us petros1980,

This is how cheque presentations work. The bank presenting a cheque or draft for payment are obliged to ensure they submit a clear image to avoid any delays for their customer. If this is a regular payment that you're receiving perhaps an electronic transfer would suit as these are a faster option with no clearance times involved.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Misssally

I found an old cheque book of mine from about 6 years ago. Would this be still valid if I wanted to write a cheque or do they expire? I’m still using the same bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Misssally wrote: »
    I found an old cheque book of mine from about 6 years ago. Would this be still valid if I wanted to write a cheque or do they expire? I’m still using the same bank account.

Hi Missally

Thanks for getting in touch to check here with us.

Yes you can use the cheque book. The actual book will not expire, only if you're writing a cheque it will be valid for a period of 6 months from the date written.

Hoping the info helps,

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jd213213

Hi there,

What's the highest amount I can lodge in a single cheque using a lodgement ATM?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

There would be no limit on the amount that can be lodged in to an LATM machine by cheque.

You can certainly make this lodgement at any of our internal or external LATM's. I have attached a link here to our branch locator, this can be used to find the most convenient LATM for you.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Aising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Damo1990

I have a cheque from An post savings scheme that I want to cash. Can you I lodge it to my bank of Ireland account at an atm and lodge? And is there a charge on this service? If so will it be deducted from my bank fees or do I need to have cash in the account to deduct the fee (if there is one). Also how long do cheques from An post take to cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Damo,

Thanks for reaching out to us here today, we hope that you're keeping well.

You can certainly lodge your cheque with your card at a lodgement ATM. There is a 25cent transaction fee which is included in your quarterly fees. For information on current account fees and scheduled dates please see the below link.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/personal-current-account/fees/

Non-BOI cheques will take 5 working days to clear into your account.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I logged a cheque via cashier in branch on Friday afternoon. It was from an overseas bank. The money has not yet shown in my account. Can you tell me how long it should take? The cashier said it would be in my account within 48 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi Brock Turnpike,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.

I'm sorry for any miscommunication in the branch. Please be aware that foreign currency cheques can take up to 5-10 weeks to clear, depending on the type of cheque and issuing bank timeframes. Once the funds have been cleared and approved by the foreign bank the funds will become available to you.

Thanks, Aisling.

Hi Brock Turnpike,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.

I'm sorry for any miscommunication in the branch. Please be aware that foreign currency cheques can take up to 5-10 weeks to clear, depending on the type of cheque and issuing bank timeframes. Once the funds have been cleared and approved by the foreign bank the funds will become available to you.

Thanks, Aisling.

Thanks for getting back to me, Aisling. Just to be clear; when you said weeks, that wasn't a typo? It's 5-10 weeks as opposed to 5-10 days??

Hi There,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us here.

Yes exactly, it can take a number of weeks for the foreign cheque to be approved and cleared on an account. This is based on the approval timeframes of the foreign bank.

Thanks, Aisling.

Hi There,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us here.

Yes exactly, it can take a number of weeks for the foreign cheque to be approved and cleared on an account. This is based on the approval timeframes of the foreign bank.

Thanks, Aisling.

Thanks again, Aisling. I'll cancel Christmas so. Please also thank the foreign bank and the banking system as a whole for the fantastic service it provides its customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Hi is it possible to post as cheque to my local branch during this pandemic , I live with my elderly parents and I'm nervous ab oiut going into the local branch s ok I was hoping to post it in if that's possible.  
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Henwin wrote: »
    Hi is it possible to post as cheque to my local branch during this pandemic , I live with my elderly parents and I'm nervous ab oiut going into the local branch s ok I was hoping to post it in if that's possible.  
    Thanks
    Good afternoon Henwin

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

You can certainly post this cheque to your local branch for lodgement. Would you mind sending us a PM with what branch you are looking to send it to and we would be more than happy to help.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks, 
    Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Amolloy77

Hi,

I took out a bank draft in March 2020 but no longer need it due to covid so I need to cancel/refund it. However, the branch I got the draft from has since shut down permanently. Where do I go to cancel it?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Amolloy77 wrote: »
    Hi,

I took out a bank draft in March 2020 but no longer need it due to covid so I need to cancel/refund it. However, the branch I got the draft from has since shut down permanently. Where do I go to cancel it?

Thanks
    Hi Amolloy77,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can we ask you which branch you purchased this draft in? We can certainly check with our colleagues to see how this can be cancelled.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Hi, I used to have an account with BOI. Not sure if it is still open. I have a US dollar cheque I need cashed. Is it possible to do this in one of your branches if I don't have an account with you?

• Advertisement

Hi There,

It wouldn't be possible to cash a cheque at one of our branches. It would be necessary to lodge it to an account.

Thanks, Aisling

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Hi,

I have a cheque book from branch X that will be closing.
    Branch X is where I had opened my account.

The cheque book thus has all cheques with the name of Branch X on them.

I won't have any issues using the remaining cheques?

What happens with the next cheque book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Champ wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a cheque book from branch X that will be closing.
    Branch X is where I had opened my account.

The cheque book thus has all cheques with the name of Branch X on them.

I won't have any issues using the remaining cheques?

What happens with the next cheque book?
    Hi Champ, thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

Please be assured that you can certainly use the remaining cheques in your current cheque book as normal. 

You account would be moved to the nearest branch and so if you order a cheque book after this date it should have the new branch on these cheques. 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks, Eve 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hi

I have a bank draft from Permanent TSB made out in my Wife's and my name. We both have individual current accounts with BOI but not a joint account. Can we lodge it into one of our own accounts once we are both present at the bank?

Thanks

Hi thanks for getting in touch with us today.

A bank draft can be endorsed (sign back of cheque) providing it is in personal name and not made out to a business.

If it has 'account payee only' on it, I'm afraid it cannot be endorsed and would need to be lodged to account in joint name.

Hoping the info helps,

Many thanks,

Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AgnesTruluv

A friend has a bank draft that she hasn't used, dated 2019. Is this still okay?

I thought I read somewhere that bank drafts don't expire. Thank you.

Hi Agnes thanks for checking in with us here.

If it is a domestic bank draft (within ROI) these will not generally expire and can be lodged to an account.

Hope this helps,

Many thanks

Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spikeysyco81

hello, i have a bank of ireland cheque, i dont have a bank account and im being rejected for all account i apply for, i have an out of date passport and a birth cirtificate, ive been homeless so i cannot prove my address for the last 3 years so getting ID has not worked either, i need some help with cashing the cheque please, i've had it two months and its for £1936, wich i cannot afford to lose

Hi There,

It would be necessary to lodge the cheque to an account as we would not cash cheques in any of our branches.

Can we ask if you are attempting to open an account in NI?

Thanks, Aisling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ahsurelook

Hi, how do I go about getting evidence of processed BOI cheques from Bank of Ireland?

Advertisement