Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boiler replaced but all pipework exposed

Options
  • 13-10-2019 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi, I got a new boiler in and the pipework in the hit press is completely exposed. To me it looks very dangerous and it's only a matter of time before someone (or the kids) puts something in it or something falls on it and damages the work. Or they burn themselves.

But I may be overreacting...

Can someone look at the attached pics and give an opinion please?

l5x8tH.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Yes your overreacting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The plumbing isn't ideal in that the pipes could have had a couple of extra joints and been run further back in the cupboard but nothing really wrong with what you have (tank could have been turned through 90 degrees to the left).

You could put a couple of shelves in there so one covers the bottom pipes and then another so the higher up pipes and valve are under a shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Looks normal to me. A little messy maybe.

Can I just point out that it's not actually supposed to be a hot press. We aren't supposed to use it as an airing cubard. I think we are the only nation in the world that uses it as an airing cubard. The electric immersion, switches, timers etc are supposed to have air circulation around them. Stuffing the press with clot is a fire hazard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Looks normal to me. A little messy maybe.

Can I just point out that it's not actually supposed to be a hot press. We aren't supposed to use it as an airing cubard. I think we are the only nation in the world that uses it as an airing cubard. The electric immersion, switches, timers etc are supposed to have air circulation around them. Stuffing the press with clot is a fire hazard

No they have them in the UK as well. In fact I've lived in houses where the airing cupboard was as big as a small bedroom and with room for all the household linen and some.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

my3cents wrote:
    No they have them in the UK as well. In fact I've lived in houses where the airing cupboard was as big as a small bedroom and with room for all the household linen and some.

Thats not an airing cubard though. That's a room. Plenty air circulation there. Timers, immersion switches need air circulation. Lots of timers say in the instructions not to install inside an airing cubard. Most high limit stats that keeps popping are usually covered in Bath towels and that why it's over heating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Building a few shelves sounds like a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Insulation around the pipes would be a better idea. It will als mechancally protect from impact damage.
    But put a support under and preferably over that lower outermost pipe. Its a perfect place to step right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

this is taken from the building regulations part L TGDs

1.4.4.4 The primary flow and return from the
    heat generator to the heat exchanger should
    be insulated. The hot pipes connected to hot
    water storage vessels, including the vent
    pipe, should be insulated for at least one
    metre from their point of connection. All
    insulation of pipes should be to the standard
    outlined in paragraph 1.4.4.3 above

so the pipes coming from your boiler to the cylinder and returning to boiler should be insulated and all other pipe work attached to cylinder should be insulated for one metre from cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Expansion vessel (red tank) should be installed / fixed to the wall in a way that the Schrader valve is easily accessible. At the moment it looks to be sitting on the floor.
    The Magnetic filter could have been put on the inner side of the pipe which would have allowed the radiators return pipe to run tighter along the return pipe instead of looping out around the filter.
    Both pipes then supported with a fixing to the floor.

Advertisement