Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

silly question can you select what network you want with the 3uk sim over in the states ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

silly question can you select what network you want with the 3uk sim over in the states ?

No, you are automatically assigned a network. Can't remember which one. Possibly t mobile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

No, you are automatically assigned a network. Can't remember which one. Possibly t mobile.

ah ok thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

got a 3 uk sim car for going the states tomorrow, ordered from mymeroy 3 weeks ago but it only arrived today.

I've put the sim into my phone but nothings happening, says emergency calls only and i get an error when trying to manually search for a network.

Do i need to do something first to get it activated and working?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

got a 3 uk sim car for going the states tomorrow, ordered from mymeroy 3 weeks ago but it only arrived today.

I've put the sim into my phone but nothings happening, says emergency calls only and i get an error when trying to manually search for a network.

When I ordered my sim I had to pick an activation date. When you arrive in the states just pop the sim into your phone and it should automatically find a network. If it does not, then you may need to refer to the documentation that you received to manually set it up.

• Advertisement

i ordered the sim from my memory.co.uk, it didnt offer an activation date. I've had the sim in the phone here in dublin for about 45 mins now, but cant get a signal

• Registered Users Posts: 46 landlord

Your phone needs to be unlocked even if you’re on the three Ireland network

sim card is unlocked, i switch networks every few months to get good sim only deals

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two is besides the fact you have minutes on one and data and just data on the other.

If I'm using only data then the cheaper one with minutes and data is a no brainer? Or am I missing something

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-pack-aio20-3000-minutes-3000-texts-12gb-data.html

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the difference between these two is besides the fact you have minutes on one and data and just data on the other.

If I'm using only data then the cheaper one with minutes and data is a no brainer? Or am I missing something

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-pack-aio20-3000-minutes-3000-texts-12gb-data.html

The cheaper one which is out of stock anyway only lasts for one month where as the other one the data is good for a whole year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

@Eamon,

try registering the SIM card at https://www.three.co.uk/My3Account2018/My3Register?intid=my3_login_register

That's what I did for the SIM cards I got for our holiday, they worked fine when tested in Ireland and worked fine when we got to the US.
    All automatic, no messing with manual network selection.

Cheers,
    Eddie

Finally got it working,l after about 5 hours after putting the sim in the phone. I got in to customer service in UK and they said that putting the sim into the phone starts a request to activate the sim and the number and it can take 2 to 4 hours for it to work. After about 5 hours, got a text saying that the sim was being activated, then got another text saying to slrestart the phone and sim would them be OK for use.

Tested it here and seems fine so far, heading ststes in morning so should work straight away now that the sim is up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Works in 71 countries. Unfortunately for me it doesn't cover Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The small print says roaming is capped at 9GB on the 24GB 2 year SIM.
    Go Roam.

Use your data allowance to get online at no extra cost in 71 destinations worldwide. Limits apply, PAYG requires an add-on. For holiday use only. Limits apply including a fair use data limit of 9 GB in Three Mobile go roam destinations. See manufacturing website/feel at home.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Doodah7 wrote: »

Would this be suitable for my car , there is a sim slot which provides a hotspot and live traffic plus car net service. Also can it be activated in Ireland?

Doodah7 wrote: »

In the info of this deal it says....
    “Limits apply including a fair use data limit of 9 GB in Three Mobile go roam destinations.”
    ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Is that 9gb per week/month or per country so once the 9gb is used in the US for example then the balance of your 24gb would have to be used elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It seems like it's 9GB of the 24GB is the roaming limit, so the balance is only usable in UK.

So it's actually a 9GB roaming SIM.

The full 12GB seems available for roaming on the 1 year SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Just tried topping up for another trip and its now requesting I enter an address to make payment, and I can only enter UK postcodes, it says it must match card address. Any way around this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Whatever you do, do not get Simple Mobile prepaid sim, complete crap, only 2g signal all over New York. I asked for T Mobile and the guy slipped me Simple Mobile only noticed when was miles from shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

banchang wrote: »
    Apparently GK Travel Sim covers US, Canada & 35 other countries.

Has anyone had any experience of them ?

Bought one of these from the GK TravelSim website.

https://gktravelsim.co.uk/

They're also on Amazon.

It didn't work in either US or Canada. Seriously screwed up my holiday. Got full refund.

Supposed to work in 37 countries.

Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is the consensus that the Three SIM is still the best option? West coast USA (should have AT+T GSM coverage). Ting gets good press stateside but doesnt do PAYG.

ED E wrote: »
    Is the consensus that the Three SIM is still the best option? West coast USA (should have AT+T GSM coverage). Ting gets good press stateside but doesnt do PAYG.

I am in the states approximately four times a month all through the year and I have had no problems using the three Sim in my mobile hotspot in destinations all over the states. My only recommendation is make sure you buy an unlocked 4g sim, not an unlocked 3G Sim as I made the mistake of buying. Still works in the 3G Sim just a bit slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Currently using the 3 sim and can't fault it. Limited only by my phone tbh 3g here in Arizona and lte in California

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

So i got one of the MyMemory ones there and will be using it next week. I've put it into the phone and its unlocked. Activated it online and logged into mythree. I see the balance on it is £0.00. How do i know i have data roaming abroad?? Do i need to spend another 20 odd and top up?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

DuffleBag wrote: »
    So i got one of the MyMemory ones there and will be using it next week. I've put it into the phone and its unlocked. Activated it online and logged into mythree. I see the balance on it is £0.00. How do i know i have data roaming abroad?? Do i need to spend another 20 odd and top up?

The data allowance should show the GB amount remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I got this. Heading to the states in a few weeks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079S2HHXX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems far better and you can get the SIM delivered to you before travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

I got this. Heading to the states in a few weeks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079S2HHXX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems far better and you can get the SIM delivered to you before travel.

Be VERY careful about using T-Mobile SIM cards. Their 4G service isn't necessarily compatible with our devices, they use frequency bands and features not supported by all devices. I just returned from the states and used a T-Mobile SIMcard, and I could only get 2G service with EDGE data (around 135kbps throughput).

The reason is that my device (a Motorola g6 plus) isn't compatible with their 4G service.

You can check if your device is supported by putting the IMEI into the following web page.
    https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

Note, doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but it did work when I tried it over there, and it told me my phone wasn't compatible with their 4G service, so I was stuck with 2G.

Advertisement