Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Aughrim

• 22-06-2017 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market to buy a house, and I'm looking as far out as Aughrim.

I work in Dublin city and currently get in by bus - takes about 40 mins.

I wanted to figure out what are the specific options for commuting into town if I do buy in Aughrim.

I need to be in work on Baggot St by around 9.30am. How do people normally get in from Aughrim, how long does it take, is it an ordeal? And also what's it like getting home late if you decide to get drinks after work?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

You could drive about 15 minutes to Rathdrum and get the train into Dublin which would get you in for about 08:40.
    The train leaves Rathdrum at about 07:15.
    The train would leave Dublin at 4:40 5:40 6:40 etc and you'd be back in Rathdrum about an hour and 20 later.

I can't imagine too many people are driving as either way you'd have to leave at about 7 in the morning.

I think you'd regret commuting from Aughrim very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm currently in the market to buy a house, and I'm looking as far out as Aughrim.

I wanted to figure out what are the specific options for commuting into town if I do buy in Aughrim.

I need to be in work on Baggot St by around 9.30am. How do people normally get in from Aughrim, how long does it take, is it an ordeal? And also what's it like getting home late if you decide to get drinks after work?

Thanks for any help

Aughrim is lovely.

About a dozen people drive from Aughrim to Rathdrum to avail of the train service mentioned previously so must not be too bad.

Maybe have a look at Rathdrum itself? Any further north and house prices shoot up.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Another option is to go to Arklow, which is about 10 minutes drive and get the Wexford bus into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

If you are driving from Aughrim, you’d want to be on the N11 and passing wicklow town no later than 7am to avoid heavy traffic (the school holidays should mean you can leave a little later in the mornings in July/August). After 7am it is almost always bad from Kilcoole heading north.

Coming home will be a real headache – the M50/N11 starts getting congested from 4pm, is almost gridlocked from 5pm and does not start to ease until well past 6:30pm. Once past Bray south traffic is pretty okay however.

If you start very early and leave early it might be okay – if you are stuck with normal office hours than commuting by car will be a frustrating experience for 10 months of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks! Driving isn't really an option as I've nowhere to park in my current job.

The Rathdrum train sounds like a good option.

Would there be anything coming back late at night if you're out for drinks in Dublin? A late train back to Rathdrum + a taxi to Aughrim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thanks! Driving isn't really an option as I've nowhere to park in my current job.

Would there be anything coming back late at night if you're out for drinks in Dublin? A late train back to Rathdrum + a taxi to Aughrim?

Have you tried the Irish Rail website?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Last train is 1837 ex Connolly.

Local taxi down that way is Aughrim Cabs. Reliable enough...

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,370 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Moved to Woodenbridge recently. 45 minutes daily commute up to Tallaght area of Dublin. I do have a motorbike though.

Love the area, wouldnt change it for the world.

listermint wrote: »
    Moved to Woodenbridge recently. 45 minutes daily commute up to Tallaght area of Dublin. I do have a motorbike though.

Love the area, wouldnt change it for the world.

That's a beautiful part of the county, your very lucky! As a car owner though, it would be right at the edge of what i'd consider a reasonable commute. But different for a motorbike i'd imagine. I knew someone who used to commute from Tinahely to Dundrum on a regular basis - now that I would consider a nightmare commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

No late trains, but you could get late night bus to Arklow, Bus Eireann or Wexford Bus, and get a taxi from there

• Advertisement

dogmatix wrote: »
    That's a beautiful part of the county, your very lucky! As a car owner though, it would be right at the edge of what i'd consider a reasonable commute. But different for a motorbike i'd imagine. I knew someone who used to commute from Tinahely to Dundrum on a regular basis - now that I would consider a nightmare commute.

45 minutes? Sure most of my family friends and cousins spend a minimum of that traveling from Dublin to jobs around Dublin or the city Centre. You won't find a bus for example that will get you from the suburbs of Dublin to city Centre in the morning for less than that.

Often I find people have no concept of distance when they are inside the county.

Wouldn't change it for the world get to come home daily to holiday views and good air :)

45 minutes? Sure most of my family friends and cousins spend a minimum of that traveling from Dublin to jobs around Dublin or the city Centre. You won't find a bus for example that will get you from the suburbs of Dublin to city Centre in the morning for less than that.

Often I find people have no concept of distance when they are inside the county.

Wouldn't change it for the world get to come home daily to holiday views and good air :)

According to Google Maps it's 81km, 1 hour 12 mins commute each way, that's excluding traffic delays.

That would be a real drag for me personally and very expensive on petrol.

murpho999 wrote: »
    According to Google Maps it's 81km, 1 hour 12 mins commute each way, that's excluding traffic delays.

Aye - but for me the biggest headache is the gridlock on the N11 between 16:30 and 18:30 every working day. I cannot handle gridlock. If I’m coming home during those hours I’ll avoid the M50/M11 and head through the hills – Kilternan/Enniskerry/Roundwood etc – takes the same time as the gridlocked motorway but at least you are moving and the scenery is great.

It’s one of the reasons I work from 7 to 4 now. But even leaving the office at 4 is still no guarantee the M11 won’t be gridlocked, even at that hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That's why I'd go by public transport if you have a good connection point. My man works in the Custom House and Wexford bus stops in front of the office as well as Connolly Station is right there. At least you don't have to drive this on your own and can have a nap after work.

Oh Google maps is the be all and end all. I've. Just told you I do it daily in 45 minutes and have been for three weeks are you calling me a liar.?

Oh Google maps is the be all and end all. I've. Just told you I do it daily in 45 minutes and have been for three weeks are you calling me a liar.?

Not a liar but Google Maps distances are very accurate so I'd call you more a dangerous speeding driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jeez this escalated

Thanks everyone!

Not a liar but Google Maps distances are very accurate so I'd call you more a dangerous speeding driver.

Thats gas, because i just put the journey in and google says 57 Minutes. So in terms of dangerous speeding driver you are wrong. Give up the day job if its anything to do with Maps and The Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I used to do Rathdrum to Dublin West and the journey could differ by as much as 30~45 mins defending on traffic & conditions. Also Google Maps is very good, but you can find a faster route regularly. Usually due to local knowledge, or knowing, if theres some event on or something has happened.

Thats gas, because i just put the journey in and google says 57 Minutes. So in terms of dangerous speeding driver you are wrong. Give up the day job if its anything to do with Maps and The Internet.

I'm quite capable of using the internet and maps thank you, no need to be insulting.

When I search Woodenbridge to O'Connell Street it varies from 1hour 10 mins to 2 hours as shown below.

Google Maps

• Advertisement

I'm quite capable of using the internet and maps thank you, no need to be insulting.

When I search Woodenbridge to O'Connell Street it varies from 1hour 10 mins to 2 hours as shown below.

Google Maps

Who is commuting to O Connell Street ? Because i wasnt, why are you twisting things. This is now pointless....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hey guys,

Thanks for any help

Tbh it's just too far, it'll be the bane of your life.

My aunt lives a little further on in Tinahely and used to commute from there into Blackrock every day. She eventually had to find alternative work closer to home as the commute had her exhausted.

Who is commuting to O Connell Street ? Because i wasnt, why are you twisting things. This is now pointless....

OP works in Dublin City and i picked a central point, which I now realise is Baggot Street and is only a few minutes away.

I just don't believe that one can get from Aughrim to City Centre in rush hour in 45 minutes due to road conditions and traffic and those that are doing so are travelling at dangerous speeds.

OP works in Dublin City and i picked a central point, which I now realise is Baggot Street and is only a few minutes away.

I just don't believe that one can get from Aughrim to City Centre in rush hour in 45 minutes due to road conditions and traffic and those that are doing so are travelling at dangerous speeds.

I never stated that though, thats my point! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SausageDogDave

Hi

Wife and I are thinking about moving to Aughrim. I found this thread about the commute. From reading the above, it sounds tough. My wife works in the Pheonix Park, so I'm thinking she'd have to drive (she can park though). I work near Baggot Street so I might have to motor bike it or wexford bus it. Sounds like we'd both face ~70 - 90 mins if we leave early enough.

Does anyone have simliar experience? Has it getting worse or better?

Traffic has been getting steadily worse since 2017 - the more the economy improves, the more people are starting to drive. If you are driving from Aughrim I would suggest you leave no later then 6am if taking the N11. Coming home is worse - it's getting to the point that if you are not on the M50 heading southbound by 15:30 you will have a very good chance of being stuck in very slow moving traffic.

But once past Bray things get a lot freer and faster - I normally take the Dundrum-Sandyford-Kilternan-Enniskerry road and then get back onto the N11 at Kilmac when driving home in the evenings. I can't comment on bus or train options.

In short, the main problem is Bray north and south interchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭ Jada Gorgeous Villain

I would say 6am is too late to leave Aughrim if you plan on taking the N11. Realistically you want to be on M11 at Rathnew/Ashford by 6:15, after that and you may get caught at kilpedder. There is an accident between there and the Glen of the downs pretty regularly - 3 days in a row last week.

I would say 6am is too late to leave Aughrim if you plan on taking the N11. Realistically you want to be on M11 at Rathnew/Ashford by 6:15, after that and you may get caught at kilpedder. There is an accident between there and the Glen of the downs pretty regularly - 3 days in a row last week.

Aye - the first significant frosts of the autumn/winter period will be here soon and that is always guaranteed to catch a number of motorists out as they speed down the entrance slip-ramps for the first week or two. Happens every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭ Jada Gorgeous Villain

dogmatix wrote: »
    Aye - the first significant frosts of the autumn/winter period will be here soon and that is always guaranteed to catch a number of motorists out as they speed down the entrance slip-ramps for the first week or two. Happens every year.

I am finding this year a lot worse than last year. Most years, the traffic doesn't seem to peak until November time, today it was already backed up to the Newtown exit (J13) by 7am - 1st or 2nd gear all the way to Bray. The busses and trains are packed too, in the evenings the trains are standing room only to Greystones or sometimes further. The busses are stuck on the roads with the cars.

Going from Aughrim, you might be better going across the mountains into Glendalough, Roundwood etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Croohur1

A lot depends on when you leave. My wife commutes 5 days a week to the City Centre. She has a car park space. She works from 7-3 instead of 9-5. So she leaves at 5:40 and is at her desk usually before 7am. She leaves at 3pm and is home in Aughrim at 4:30 barring any road issues. While not easy getting up early every morning she is at home early and doing the quickest possible time by avoiding the traffic on each trip.

Advertisement