Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Don't know wether to put this in the Funny thread or here, but it's anti-vaccination and while the video is comically stupid, anti-vaccination is a hazard so I guess it belongs her.

There's an anti-vax thread already. This guy is a "DC" so it's wrong to call him "Doctor." He's "Doctor of Chiropractic," which isn't the same thing. Not surprised he's a Chiropractor, that's just another form of voodoo medicine like holistic and naturopathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't want my child's body to become a temple of TB, whooping cough, diphtheria, polio, chicken pox, HPV-related cancers...

The only thing that might knock a bit of sense into these idiots is a good old-fashioned polio epidemic :mad:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I don't want my child's body to become a temple of TB, whooping cough, diphtheria, polio, chicken pox, HPV-related cancers...

The only thing that might knock a bit of sense into these idiots is a good old-fashioned polio epidemic :mad:

Having known polio victims growing up, I would never make light of it. The best thing that can happen if you contract polio, is to die from it quickly. It's truly horrible stuff.

I know that. I'm not making light of it (and I remember seeing polio victims too, there were epidemics in the 50s) but some people are so fcuking thick that they need to have the consequences of an action to be visible right in front of them before they'll acknowledge that it exists.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Don't know wether to put this in the Funny thread or here, but it's anti-vaccination and while the video is comically stupid, anti-vaccination is a hazard so I guess it belongs her....
    I know that. I'm not making light of it (and I remember seeing polio victims too, there were epidemics in the 50s) but some people are so fcuking thick that they need to have the consequences of an action to be visible right in front of them before they'll acknowledge that it exists.

I'm a bible believing, evangelical Christian and I think he's an idiot as well.

The cynic in me wonders whether this has less to do with "Dr" Fields supposed Christian convictions, and more to do with the marketing value of slapping "Christian" on something in the US to give it credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ChrisJ84 wrote: »

The cynic in me wonders whether this has less to do with "Dr" Fields supposed Christian convictions, and more to do with the marketing value of slapping "Christian" on something in the US to give it credibility.

That could very well be true, but it also shows how meaningless the term "Christian" has become.
    Those who identify as such can vary from pacifist to war hawk.
    Charitable to (for want of a better term) Professionally Grasping.
    Forgiving to 'Hang 'em High'.

It's a catch all term that encompasses those who mean "I follow the ethos of Jesus as outlined on the Gospels" to "I use the Bible to state why people I don't approve of are going to burn eternally" to "I'm white and Western" to "Buy what I'm selling because Jesus".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It's a catch all term

That's why there is also the much more selective term "real Christian". Anyone from a different place on the spectrum is a Christian when big numbers help the argument, but not a "real Christian" when shown to be awful in one way or another.

Ever so slightly harsh perhaps to come down on this guy for "abusing" the christian label for marketing purposes, when churches rake in billions tax-free and "prosperity gospel" charlatans criss-cross the globe by private jet.

Whatever about belief itself, religion is marketing - marketing belief, selling salvation by the pound.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/islamic-body-seeks-to-become-patron-of-new-school-in-west-dublin-1.4011578#.XXcc7As_dpU.twitter

Islamic Foundation of Ireland to open secondary school in Dublin. The Islamic Foundation of Ireland regularly hosts Islamist hate preachers including supporters of violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Ever so slightly harsh perhaps to come down on this guy for "abusing" the christian label for marketing purposes, when churches rake in billions tax-free and "prosperity gospel" charlatans criss-cross the globe by private jet.

Whatever about belief itself, religion is marketing - marketing belief, selling salvation by the pound.

That's overly simplistic.

I would agree that people who do abuse others to line their own pockets should have their tax exempt status removed.

Other churches (mine included) which are transparent about expenses highlighting their accounts at the annual church meeting and being accountable on it, where staff have a modest salary to cover their needs without very much if anything in surplus at all aren't really in the same grouping as this.

• Advertisement

That's why there is also the much more selective term "real Christian". Anyone from a different place on the spectrum is a Christian when big numbers help the argument, but not a "real Christian" when shown to be awful in one way or another.

Reminds me of trying to put your finger on a bit of mercury. Impossible to pin down.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

That's fair. He could be a Christian and be horribly misguided. Or he could be a charlatan. Either way I think we can agree that his stance on vaccines is completely wrong.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/islamic-body-seeks-to-become-patron-of-new-school-in-west-dublin-1.4011578#.XXcc7As_dpU.twitter

Islamic Foundation of Ireland to open secondary school in Dublin. The Islamic Foundation of Ireland regularly hosts Islamist hate preachers including supporters of violence.

Did you even read the headline? "Seeks to"

I hope it doesn't happen. But we really shouldn't be allowing any more religious patronage schools of ANY religion.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I don't think they should get a cent of tax money, but I don't think they should be banned.

Muslim, CofI, Catholic... none of them.

We're talking publicly funded schools here.

If religious groups want to abuse kids' brains in private with their own money there is little that can be done to stop them.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Taking, cough, a line from Colombia, an orthodox priest from Tver who's trying to cut down on sin by means of Holy Rain.

https://twitter.com/MoscowTimes/status/1172291298533027840

Hail Mary voted Ireland's favourite prayer at Ploughing Championships

The Hail Mary has been voted Ireland's favourite prayer at the National Ploughing Championships in Co Carlow.

The competition was held at stand 399, which was run by the Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin, and had the theme 'Digging Deeper – Rooting For Christ'.

Visitors chose their favourite prayer from a shortlist, which included Our Father and the Rosary.

Hail Mary received 61% of votes, while O Angel of God (the Guardian Angel Prayer) received 39%.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hail Mary voted Ireland's favourite prayer at Ploughing Championships

The Hail Mary has been voted Ireland's favourite prayer at the National Ploughing Championships in Co Carlow.

The competition was held at stand 399, which was run by the Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin, and had the theme 'Digging Deeper – Rooting For Christ'.

Visitors chose their favourite prayer from a shortlist, which included Our Father and the Rosary.

Hail Mary received 61% of votes, while O Angel of God (the Guardian Angel Prayer) received 39%.

No surprise that the shorter prayers won

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No surprise that the shorter prayers won
    "'Twas the short mass that kept the Faith alive in Ireland."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Two men in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh have been arrested for allegedly killing two Dalit (formerly untouchables) children who were defecating in the open, police say.
    Roshni, 12, and Avinash, 10, were attacked on Wednesday while defecating near a village road, they said.
    The children's family told BBC Hindi that they have no toilet at home.
    Millions of poor Indians defecate in the open, which especially puts women and children at risk.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49835830

• Advertisement

File this under "Should have seen this one coming":

Psychic medium event in St Keverne interrupted by prayer group

With video goodness.

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/17923428.psychic-medium-event-st-keverne-interrupted-prayer-group/

Irony, much?
    But Reverend Deirdre Mackrill, Assistant Curate of St Keverne Church, said that clairvoyance poses a risk to people's mental health and that her prayer group was only trying to help.

She said: "There's always a risk when people dabble in the occult, calling on spirits.

"I know of three people who have gone down that route and suffered long-term serious mental health issues, some of whom might have been quite vulnerable if they have lost a loved one."

She added: "I think from a Christian's point of view there's plenty of biblical evidence about why people shouldn't engage in those kinds of activities. It's in fact wrong and dangerous.

"The power of prayer is immeasurable. When two or three, and we were more than two or three, gather together we have the power of the Lord God himself."

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-49850408

Nigerian police say they have rescued nearly 500 men and boys from a building in the northern city of Kaduna, where the detainees were allegedly tortured.

Those held at the building, which housed an Islamic school, included a large number of children and some were found chained up, police said.

A family who spent nine years in a basement "waiting for the end of time" have been discovered by police in the Netherlands after one of them turned up at a local pub, reports say.
    A man, 58, and six adults - aged 18 to 25 - were living at a farm in the northern province of Drenthe.
    They were found after one of the six ordered beer at a bar in the nearby village of Ruinerwold.
    He then told staff he needed help, broadcaster RTV Drenthe reported.
    The older man was initially assumed to be the father, but local mayor Roger de Groot later told reporters that was not the case. Nor was the man the owner of the farmhouse, Mr de Groot said, adding: "I've never seen anything like it."
    The public broadcaster said that the family had been living in isolation waiting for the end of time.
    Bar owner Chris Westerbeek described how one family member had come in, ordered five beers and drunk them.
    "Then I had a chat with him and he revealed he had run away and needed help... then we called the police," he said.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50054044

Terrible state of affairs if you can't have a few scoops waiting for the end of the world.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Terrible state of affairs if you can't have a few scoops waiting for the end of the world.
    That's what Ford Perfect thought and look what happened to him.

Speaking of which - the actor who voiced Marvin the Paranoid Andriod died the other day:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50035065

"I think you ought to know that I'm feeling very depressed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50081466

_109267456_mediaitem109267455.jpg

The Vatican is hoping to pull in tech-savvy youngsters with the launch of an "eRosary" bracelet.

The gadget, which costs $109 (£85), can be worn as a bracelet and is activated by making the sign of a cross.

It is connected to the "Click to Pray eRosary" app, which is designed to help Catholic users pray for world peace and contemplate the gospel.

The app tracks a user's progress, and contains visual and audio explanations of the rosary.

The traditional rosary is used to aid prayer and meditation. Its beads are counted as prayers are recited.

Users can choose from three ways of praying. There is the standard rosary, a contemplative rosary or a thematic rosary.

The rosaries are made up of 10 black agate and hematite beads, plus a metal cross that detects movement.

"This project brings together the best of the Church's spiritual tradition and the latest advances of the technological world," a Click to Pray press release said.

Taiwan-based tech company GadgTek Inc developed the gadget, which is water-resistant and compatible with Android and iOS smartphones.

This is not the first time the Catholic Church has attempted to attract young people with technology.

In 2018, a Catholic evangelical group launched "Follow JC Go!", a Christian take on the hugely successful Pokemon Go gaming app. It let players "catch" saints or Bible characters, instead of monster characters.

Life ain't always empty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50081466

_109267456_mediaitem109267455.jpg

The Vatican is hoping to pull in tech-savvy youngsters with the launch of an "eRosary" bracelet.

The gadget, which costs $109 (£85), can be worn as a bracelet and is activated by making the sign of a cross.

It is connected to the "Click to Pray eRosary" app, which is designed to help Catholic users pray for world peace and contemplate the gospel.

The app tracks a user's progress, and contains visual and audio explanations of the rosary.

The traditional rosary is used to aid prayer and meditation. Its beads are counted as prayers are recited.

Users can choose from three ways of praying. There is the standard rosary, a contemplative rosary or a thematic rosary.

The rosaries are made up of 10 black agate and hematite beads, plus a metal cross that detects movement.

"This project brings together the best of the Church's spiritual tradition and the latest advances of the technological world," a Click to Pray press release said.

Taiwan-based tech company GadgTek Inc developed the gadget, which is water-resistant and compatible with Android and iOS smartphones.

This is not the first time the Catholic Church has attempted to attract young people with technology.

In 2018, a Catholic evangelical group launched "Follow JC Go!", a Christian take on the hugely successful Pokemon Go gaming app. It let players "catch" saints or Bible characters, instead of monster characters.

A praybit.
    Just what the world needs.

No to the Yoga. Givin people ideas, so it is.

Bishop of Waterford & Lismore Alphonsus Cullinan has written to schools across Waterford City & County warning against the teaching of Yoga and mindfulness. In the letter, which was sent on October 10, Bishop Cullinan said that “Yoga is not of Christian origin” and was not suitable for a parish school setting “especially not during Religious Education time”.
    https://waterford-news.ie/2019/10/18/bishop-warns-against-yoga-and-mindfullness-in-schools/?fbclid=IwAR1o_agVO9S5lBrXrT4j6pnusXXzVC_Ixrv5GPrTj_y_p0w_stRwh_gfFuY

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Odhinn wrote: »

when i first looked at the URL i thought it said waterfordwhispers.

• Advertisement

The Bishop concluded by asking teachers and principals to encourage children to “pray the Rosary” and help them spend time with Jesus in “adoration or in quiet meditation” in the classroom.

Is Phonsie for real?

Life ain't always empty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement