Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drogheda intruder 3 hours ago

• 12-09-2019 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

At 3.40 I woke up to hear someone in my living room. He had opened my front door quietly (not sure how yet, I’ve the only keys).
    I keep a knife under my bed and shouted at him that I was going to slit his throat.
    He said in an Irish enough accent something like ‘come on then’ or ‘go on then’ and then ran out the door. The guards have him on local cctv. I live in drogheda town center.
    He’s about 5’10”, skinny, between 25-35. I don’t want to give other specifics other than let people know that this is someone who is willing to break into a mans house knowing that he’s asleep in the house. I’m 48 but I have elderly neighbors. If he had have broken into their houses he could have hurt them or caused them to have heart attacks.
    If I had have stabbed him I would be in trouble with the guards and his scum associates.i don’t know how the guards deal with this filth day in day out. In fairness to them they were on the street 2 minutes after I rang.
    I’m not sure if I’ll reply to this but I wanted people to know that there are maggots like this in drogheda now willing to break into houses in the middle of the night when they know that there’s people inside.
    I’ve lived in the working class area all my life and never heard of this type of burglary happening. I’m surprised it didn’t end in one of us dead.
    I’m not sure if I’ll reply publicly to this post I’ve things to do over the next few hours with the guards. Not even sure if it’s a good idea to post this . I’ll keep an eye on my private messages in case I can be of help to someone but I may not reply.
    Scumbag is Irish or living in ireland long enough to have an Irish accent.without a doubt he’s done this before. Imagine the mentality needed to break into a house where u know there’s at least one person inside. This is a dangerous piece of ****. I also have a cctv camera with a blue light flashing at the front of the house. Area is also covered with cctv. This scumbag knows he’s only going to get a slap on the wrist if he’s caught. A couple of months of easy time and he’s back out. Safe to say I’m not in a happy place right now.
    As I said, I may reply to pms but probably won’t get into specifics here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

Hope you are ok. It will be a while before your house feels normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

That's horrible - I'd recommend changing the cylinders on your doors (front and back if you have them) to anti-pick/anti-bump - about €30 a door if you do it yourself and it gives great peace of mind. Sounds like that creep bumped your front door which is so easy to do that it's scary (google you tube vids on bumping locks).

Hope you and your family get over it and get on with enjoying your lives again real soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Really sorry to hear. Only piece about story that puzzled me a little is you keeping knife under your bed. Has crime in area been increasing lately and is this why you opted to have knife under bed?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Sorry you've been through that. An awful experience. Thankfully no-one was hurt.

No harm in seeking out someone to talk to about this for you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Really sorry to hear. Only piece about story that puzzled me a little is you keeping knife under your bed. Has crime in area been increasing lately and is this why you opted to have knife under bed?
    That’s right. The town is full of drug dealers and addicts. I wish that was an exaggeration.

I waited 8 hours for the Gardaí to check for fingerprints and now I’ve been told they are not coming. Almost too late to change the locks if I hadn’t bought them at lunchtime. A man breaks into my home and stands over me while I’m sleeping and that doesn’t warrant further checks .if I didn’t have the knife I could be in hospital now. This has been a real wake up call for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

...I wanted people to know that there are maggots like this in drogheda now willing to break into houses in the middle of the night when they know that there’s people inside.
    Have you been living under a rock? This is rampant all over the country. For a few weeks last year it was a nightly occurrence in Highlands/Riverbank/Rathmullen with them usually just looking for car keys. A few prison sentences put a stop to it but I'd imagine they're all out again now.
    I keep a knife under my bed.
    This is a mistake. Nothing in your home is worth dying or killing for? Once you introduce a knife to a fight you are telling the other guy he has to kill or be killed. It's a very dangerous scenario to put yourself in. Many many people are killed with their own knife! Get an alarm system instead.

I wouldn't of warned him, i'd have stabbed the f*cker, felt my life was in danger.

(more than likely shot him than stab him but you get my drift)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I wouldn't of warned him, i'd have stabbed the f*cker, felt my life was in danger.

(more than likely shot him than stab him but you get my drift)

And risk serving 8-12 years in prison for manslaughter.... I don't think so!!

Scotty # wrote: »
    Nothing in your home is worth dying or killing for?

His family and his own life.

I don't keep a knife upstairs myself but if my family was at risk there'd only be one outcome.

If anyone ever did kill a toerag like this in their own home say nothing until you see a solicitor and then remember the following: "I was in fear for my life".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't Ireland pass a new law a few years back, about using force to protect yourself in your own house if you felt you were under threat?

Not sure if its been tested yet?

Bottom line, if scumbag doesn't break in to your house, he doesn't get hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You shot them and then shout "Stop or the next one goes into you", then shot the wall.

The changed the law a few years ago that you don't have to retreat from scumbag burglars. You can now use reasonable force and every home is full of weapons that a thief could pick up and attack you with.

Good news, I got him perfectly on cameras. Not sure if I should post it here. I’ve shared it with lots of folks. The Gardaí are incredibly laid back about it, they don’t even want to see the footage tonight even though this scumbag is robbing car keys every night. I’ll have a think about it before posting it all over social media. Would I jeopardize the legal case if I posted his face all over social media? Tired now, been up 18 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Good news, I got him perfectly on cameras. Not sure if I should post it here. I’ve shared it with lots of folks. The Gardaí are incredibly laid back about it, they don’t even want to see the footage tonight even though this scumbag is robbing car keys every night. I’ll have a think about it before posting it all over social media. Would I jeopardize the legal case if I posted his face all over social media? Tired now, been up 18 hours.

Dont post online, it will cause more trouble than provide any benefit

If you wanted to put up the footage where Irish people can see it, then try the Ireland sub on Reddit they are a lot more laid back then the mods and others on boards.

I don't see what trouble it will cause you sharing the footage of the scumbag who broke into your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If you wanted to put up the footage where Irish people can see it, then try the Ireland sub on Reddit they are a lot more laid back then the mods and others on boards.

I don't see what trouble it will cause you sharing the footage of the scumbag who broke into your home.

It's more a legal thing, fear of being sued...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy an alarm, dog and much better door and window locks.

Good news that you have clear images. I'd demand to speak to the Station Sergeant in charge. That's not on at all. Chances are they know the scrote too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Best not to take the risk. I suspect the perp is known to Gardai and he may well be implicated in other stuff already. In a place like Drogheda the list of suspects is likely to be pretty small. I'd also say chill and rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Can you pm the photo ?

If you keep a weapon always within reach you might be in trouble. If you just happen to pick something up while investigating you're probably alright.
    There's no point calling the Gardai, they have no interest and in my experience try to talk you out of reporting it. It doesn't count unless a full report is done apparently. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Slightly off-topic, but is it legal to own a spear?

The reason I ask is if you have to go up against someone who is armed with a knife apparently you are almost guaranteed to win the fight if you have a spear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Slightly off-topic, but is it legal to own a spear?

The reason I ask is if you have to go up against someone who is armed with a knife apparently you are almost guaranteed to win the fight if you have a spear.

Yeah, but once they cop on to that, they'll all just starting long bows to counter your advantage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I find a gun fixes that...

If you keep a weapon always within reach you might be in trouble. If you just happen to pick something up while investigating you're probably alright.
    There's no point calling the Gardai, they have no interest and in my experience try to talk you out of reporting it. It doesn't count unless a full report is done apparently. :rolleyes:

I think u may have misread my posts. The Gardaí are moving forward with this. I’ve spoken to a few good men and with the crystal clear cctv I’m going to nail this sob and anybody else who wants to get involved.
    I’ve spoken to a couple of people I know in the newspaper business and I have a couple of legal people already but I trust the Gardaí I know and I’m going to give them time (Some time) to nail this maggot scumbag . When things are moving forward I’ll share the cctv of this piece of ****.
    I’m leaving this thread for a couple of days but if u have any problems just pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

OP...Sorry to hear this. Have you not got an alarm installed?

This is the scum targeting doors that have to be double locked on the inside for the four bolts to engage. He’s targeting houses in Drogheda, Louth, Meath, Ashbourne. Probably Dublin and anywhere else he can get to.
    Edit: video didn’t upload. I’ll try again.

I’ll upload the video and pics later after work, they are too large to send.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'd advise against that in general, but definitely dont upload them onto boards.ie thanks.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you could upload the footage to this Subreddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/iamatotalpieceofshit

Or the r/Ireland sub?

Advertisement