Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ID for non alcoholic beer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The government should do something about it as they should be doing EVERYTHING they can to get more people drinking non alcoholic beer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Greyfox wrote: »
    The government should do something about it as they should be doing EVERYTHING they can to get more people drinking non alcoholic beer

What should the government do about it?
    There is no duty on beer under 1.2%abv.
    What can the government do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

When i was 28 i was id'd in Dunnes buying a vegetable peeler. I didnt have id with me so they wouldnt sell it to me.

What did they think you were gonna do? Peel someone to death?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

This has come up a few times. It contains a very small % of alcohol, so ID is required.

That was the case about 20 years ago.Most non alco beer these days (and there is a lot to choose from) are completely alcohol free.

This has come up a few times. It contains a very small % of alcohol, so ID is required.

No.
    Legally, anything under 0.5% is considered alcohol free. If the shop is asking for ID, it's just a company policy, not the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

What should the government do about it?
    There is no duty on beer under 1.2%abv.
    What can the government do?

Tell the supermarkets there not allowed ask for ID and that they can sell non alcoholic beer when they want. Non alcoholic beer is really good for society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

dmc17 wrote: »
    One thing I noticed in one off license recently is the amount of different brands of non-alcoholic beer in the fridge now. Almost found it hard to find one with alcohol in it :D Surely it isn't something people buy to drink at home? I would have though it was more something you might have in the pub if you were driving....

There might be a marketing reason behind the sudden emergence and very planned placement of non alco drinks. When the new laws eventually arrive (Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018) it will severely restrict how alcohol products can be advertised ..... however, if you have a very similarly branded non alco option it could keep your brand name out in the open, serving a useful brand awareness purpose that would otherwise be denied to the major alcohol producers.

The big brand alcohol companies are usually well in front of any restrictive advertising/marketing measure that could be introduced against them. This way everyone wins... the government introduce their clampdown legislation and accept the plaudits for having taken decisive action to protect public health and the companies exploit their found loophole.... as it has always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What did they think you were gonna do? Peel someone to death?

The sale of knives got a lot stricter since that little bollox Clancy in Bray went to Supervalu, bought a knife then stabbed his ex, her new boyfriend and his brother.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The sale of knives got a lot stricter since that little bollox Clancy in Bray went to Supervalu, bought a knife then stabbed his ex, her new boyfriend and his brother.

Jaysus, now that's a blast from the past. I shared a room with that lad once, working a few weeks on a summer job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Wherever you go everyone should carry id anyway. What happens if ur in an accident and are in a coma or worse. Cops don't know who you are family are worried sick. I know of one person this happened to. Three days it took cops to track down family. Sorry off topic but how hard is it to carry id. That way if you're asked its no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Wherever you go everyone should carry id anyway. What happens if ur in an accident and are in a coma or worse. Cops don't know who you are family are worried sick. I know of one person this happened to. Three days it took cops to track down family. Sorry off topic but how hard is it to carry id. That way if you're asked its no issue.

My name is written on me jocks

Ger Roe wrote: »
    There might be a marketing reason behind the sudden emergence and very planned placement of non alco drinks. When the new laws eventually arrive (Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018) it will severely restrict how alcohol products can be advertised ..... however, if you have a very similarly branded non alco option it could keep your brand name out in the open, serving a useful brand awareness purpose that would otherwise be denied to the major alcohol producers.

This could well be what is going on, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I just peel the real Heineken labels off and replace on the zero ALC.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

When i was 28 i was id'd in Dunnes buying a vegetable peeler. I didnt have id with me so they wouldnt sell it to me.

I was around 28/30 and asked for ID in boots when buying razor blades.... Fair enough if it was a "cut throat " blade, but nope Venus for women!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was around 28/30 and asked for ID in boots when buying razor blades.... Fair enough if it was a "cut throat " blade, but nope Venus for women!!
    I used to need to show ID buying Stanley knife blades in America after 9/11. Axes , billhooks or any thing you'd need to decapitated and cut someone up, fine .but Stanley blades no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I remember buying Club Shandy, with its 0.001% alcohol. Me and my friends would go around pretending to be drunk, taking drags on our chocolate cigarettes and knocking the shandy back.

We also used to pretend that Tic Tacs were drugs.

Twenty-eight years old, we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

My name is written on me jocks

Are you Calvin, Hugo, or Tommy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Funny, my young lad was quite happily served a pint of the 0.0 the other weekend in a pub on his 14th birthday.

Definitely seems to be a company policy thing though, as he was asked to switch to Coke / Club Orange in the hotel his uncle was getting married in a fortnight before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Are you Calvin, Hugo, or Tommy?
    Don't know the posters first name but he's one of the Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What about mouthwash?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mouthwash has a very high percentage of alcohol.

“For example, original formula Listerine is about 54 proof with 26.9% alcohol, and many of the mint flavored mouthwashes are almost 22% alcohol. The alcohol content of Scope weighs in at 18.9%, and Cepacol at 14%”

That’s not a tiramisu or baileys Hagen Dazs ice cream, that’s a coma after a 5 Euro litre bottle...and before you ask, yes, the seasoned veterans are downing these like no tomorrow. Tesco express 24/7

Well that's tonight sorted

Advertisement