Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those who read books in a language that isn't their mother tongue: any tips?

• 30-07-2019 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I'm living in Germany and trying to improve my German a little. I'm at between a B1 and B2 level.

I've heard reading a book in your target language can be a big help. Do you do this often? Have you got any tips to help me not be as nervous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Look up 'Lernkrimis' in your target language at your target level. They're great, detective novels with comprehension questions throughout.
    If you want to go with real novels, you could start with a translation of a Jane Austen or other novel that you're familiar with, so you can focus on the language without trying to figure out what's happening. Or try young adult fiction. I would recommend reading a chapter with a pencil in hand and underline words you don't understand. Then, look up the words and read the chapter again. When children are learning to read, they are told about the rule of 5: look at a page and count the words you don't understand. Any more than 5 words per page and the book is too challenging for now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Deutsch Perfekt is very good. I listen to them the whole time driving, walking the dog etc..... There are texts also to accompany them. I use Audible, but they also have their own website and app. Euronews is great also as the text is the same as to verbal report.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

I would say that the first ten pages of any book are usually the worst. You're beginning the book with no context, new characters, and generally lots of new vocab.

After that you generally realise that it's the same words that keep coming up, and look one or two up occasionally. I'd also say it's better to just plough through and read as much as possible, as opposed to stopping every time there's something you don't understand. You'll probably pick up the meaning through context.

Try to pick up a book where you already vaguely know the story i.e. you might have seen the film or the book is very well known, that way you're not worried about getting lost in the plot.

And don't worry about not remembering/understanding everything, you're not studying for an exam on the book. Also pick something you're likely to enjoy and not too long, as opposed to a 700-page doorstop about some lad in a sanitorium. (unless you like that sort of thing!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Another thing you can do is buy the book on Kindle and Audible so you're listening to the book as you read it. It's called whispersync. I've done this with Euronews, where the text and speech are the same.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I found it helpful to read books in the new language that I'd already read in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I remember my English improved dramatically when I started reading books in English in high school. Buying Penguin popular classics was cheaper than late fees I was always paying in library. There was no intention to actually improve language but my spellings improved dramatically, so did my comprehension. Mostly you can get the meaning even if you don't understand every phrase. Other option is to find German version of boards and argue with people. That's great too because you have time to compose replies and see how people communicate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Audio books in a the target language that you are already familiar with is a good way to get familiar with pronunciation - for me the works of Jane Austen are commonly available and usually good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Pick topics or writers you really love and dive in.

Don't worry if you can't understand bits. I mean that is why you are doing it right?

My spanish teacher used to say there is intensive reading and then extensive reading. And that i should apply this to listening too.

Ok so . ...you read and go over every word. You understand every word and each turn of phrase and make notes. In another language its the same you go over ever word ..with the purpose of understanding every aspect of the sentence.

Extensive reading is just reading for pleasure ..reading for the story ....but you might not be able to quote things or focus on every word. When i read in english i might actually only read for the jist believe it or not. Even tho if i focused i might read every word ...but lets say in shakespeare ..i would have to read intensively.

We tend to always try to read intensively in another language. Its good for some things ...but its slow.

You have to read both ways ....my teacher used to say ..and she spoke four languages. French Spanish Catalan and English ..and she spoke them all fluently.

Intensive reading = Reading every word ..understanding every word and sentence.

Extensive reading = Reading for the jist or the main story ..reading for fun.

My teacher said extensive reading is where you learn the most.

She used to tell me to use extensive listening and intensive listening alternating too.

I still tend to focus on intensive reading too much. Its just slow tho. And tiring.

In our own language we use skills to help us read ..skimming you are supposed to use some of those skills in reading a foreign language too.

In your mother tongue you never focus on things word per word ...and often when you do the meaning is lost anyway ...

Accept you won't understand everything. But if you stop to looking up every daisy in a dictionary you won't get to your destination!

BUT it means you have to read a lot ......keep reading ..and reading ..more books more websites etc.

By the way.....for intensive reading ...audio books with accompanying texts are good. They make you read slowly.

But i was always told to focus on extensive reading. Even though it might feel wrong.

I mean think about it ..when you read my post ..did you focus on every word ..or is it possible you let yourself miss some stuff?

Advertisement