Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai giving out personal info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Reati

Was the drone over public or private property ... ?
    Big difference between overflying someone's home / business at close proximity and just taking photography in the street / a genuine public space.

They are very distinct rules for drone operations and home / business isn't a one of them.

Though if the OP operated from a private carpark of the person he's pissed off then he has civil trespassing as a come back to worry about. You need to get permission to operate a drone from private property. If it was inside a town then there a bunch of other issues.

Edit. Also to add, I've flown drones for years in pretty public places (with correct permits). I guessed from the way of the first post there was a drone involved. Only once has someone came over and asked me what is going on. I still think the business person had reason to suspect the OP for something, hence the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its easy to get info on a family in ireland,and most country,
    since people post so much info on facebook ,instagram, social media websites.
    See recent facebook leak, 1000,s of names with personal info including
    phone no,s /

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

riclad wrote: »
    Its easy to get info on a family in ireland,and most country,
    since people post so much info on facebook ,instagram, social media websites.
    See recent facebook leak, 1000,s of names with personal info including
    phone no,s /

From a car reg on demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hi folks.

Unsure if this is the correct place to post this. Mods can feel free to move it to anywhere better suited.

Pretty much, I do a bit of work around the place, often involving taking photos of property, landmarks, historical sites etc.

Anyway I got a phone call today off someone who wanted to know what I was taking photos of near his business. Which is grand in itself.

However, he addressed me by my full name, obviously had my phone number to ring me, and he said he got these details 'from a friend', as he seen me on cctv and had my car reg plate.

He was polite, and I was polite with him in return. After the call ended, I rang the local (to him) garda station, who were adamant they'd never give out personal details.

But I can't imagine any other way of getting my details?

My car is a plain private car (ie not a commercial van with branding or information on it).

I asked the Garda was there anything I could do to figure it out and they pretty much just said no. Which seems odd.

Anyone been in a similar situation before? Unsure how to proceed. Not happy with my info being handed over to someone (especially as my line of work would sometimes take me to malicious people).

No point ringing the Garda Station nearest you as the guy could have got your details from a garda friend of his anywhere in the country, all he needed was your reg.I have a mate in the gards and he has done this for me a couple of times over the years.

Edit, I don't know how he got your num though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Why were you taking photos of/near his “business”?

There's always one on boards...:-S

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    No point ringing the Garda Station nearest you as the guy could have got your details from a garda friend of his anywhere in the country, all he needed was your reg.I have a mate in the gards and he has done this for me a couple of times over the years.

Edit, I don't know how he got your num though.

Car ownership details are usually merged with your PPS number, you will never get your logbook sent to an address not matching with your PPS, the mobile number is also captured at change or ownership or linked in with other state services.

Your Garda mate if he was employed in any other country in the EU would be risking his career releasing that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Make a complaint, When the gardai log into the pulse system which is where all your information is going to be they have to log in with their own user id. If someone looked at your information they can see who it was..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Whatever about who/ how from whom they got his number I'm glad they did . Either you were to no good like casing the joint or working on a forcloser issue either way your a fcuking clown for getting caught so easily then posting on boards for sympathy or more insidious reasons . FO OP

Have you provided the guards with your name/address previously? I doubt very much if anyone was that stupid because if they do have your details on file then their computer systems record every time they're accessed.

You can make a FOI application for all details they hold on you and specify that you want details on when and where your details were accessed too.

Or you could ring the person back, ask him who provided him with your details and if he refuses tell him you are reporting it to the gardai and asking them to look in to it. It might spur him into revealing his source otherwise he could be getting them in a load of trouble.

Whilst you're technically correct there is zero chance of this happening in real life.

Car ownership details are usually merged with your PPS number, you will never get your logbook sent to an address not matching with your PPS, the mobile number is also captured at change or ownership or linked in with other state services.

Your Garda mate if he was employed in any other country in the EU would be risking his career releasing that information.

Sure I know that and so does he, but it WAS in Ireland.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    Whilst you're technically correct there is zero chance of this happening in real life.

It's like the implementation of the penalty points system it's open to abuse by crooked and incompetent Gardai not qualified to review the Police Academy movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

so the OP who fancies himself as a PI while scouting his target was in fact blind sided by his target and now is pissing in his seat with the fact that he was caught with his pance down .should be carefully who you peep on cause they could come looking for you , never know who knows who , or who you may be messing with ,
    that's why I.like to mind my own business , pal .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

kerry cow wrote: »
    so the OP who fancies himself as a PI while scouting his target was in fact blind sided by his target and now is pissing in his seat with the fact that he was caught with his pance down .should be carefully who you peep on cause they could come looking for you , never know who knows who , or who you may be messing with ,
    Well said Kerry

kerry cow wrote: »

And in a normal country he would have been reported to Police and they would investigate and where necessary prosecute, but in Ireland no they give out his details to someone else who could potentially do all sorts with the information given, banana republic kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I'd guess the caller was either ex-Garda or in the insurance industry. Many of us willingly enter our phone number and reg looking for a cheaper quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭billie1b

My car is registered under a different name and address to me, an address i’m not linked to, i’ve never once provided my PPS number to the DOT either as they don’t need it. To add also, all state agencies/services are not linked due to data protection, the revenue, hse and social welfare etc have been trying for years to get linked systems but can’t get around the data protection issues.

I'd guess the caller was either ex-Garda or in the insurance industry. Many of us willingly enter our phone number and reg looking for a cheaper quote.

Unlikely anyone employed in the insurance company would risk their career for that as they would be sacked on the spot if it was exposed and their company fined loads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

For what purpose would he intimidate anyone?

I think lads are losing the run of themselves.

Like I said, it can be unintended too

billie1b wrote: »
    My car is registered under a different name and address to me, an address i’m not linked to, i’ve never once provided my PPS number to the DOT either as they don’t need it. To add also, all state agencies/services are not linked due to data protection, the revenue, hse and social welfare etc have been trying for years to get linked systems but can’t get around the data protection issues.

Your insurance is then not valid.

Additionally read this...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/why-were-my-car-registration-details-in-a-database-used-by-welfare-1.3203933

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Unlikely anyone employed in the insurance company would risk their career for that as they would be sacked on the spot if it was exposed and their company fined loads.

You find the right guy with a gambling addiction, grudge against the company, get him a honey pot and he will get you anything you ask for. One lad with a gambling addiction in the Social Welfare office in Donegal was giving details to a debt collector........ gospel. Lost a permanent pensionable job in the backs of beyond where jobs are hard to comeby.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/civil-servant-jailed-for-a-year-for-selling-social-welfare-records-1.3369567

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And in a normal country he would have been reported to Police and they would investigate and where necessary prosecute, but in Ireland no they give out his details to someone else who could potentially do all sorts with the information given, banana republic kip.

Yep, it's funny how people would rather make up their own stories in their heads about the OP rather than acknowledge that

You find the right guy with a gambling addiction, grudge against the company, get him a honey pot and he will get you anything you ask for. One lad with a gambling addiction in the Social Welfare office in Donegal was giving details to a debt collector........ gospel. Lost a permanent pensionable job in the backs of beyond where jobs are hard to comeby.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/civil-servant-jailed-for-a-year-for-selling-social-welfare-records-1.3369567

And you would be able to somehow on a one off on the fly somehow source him/her and pay them out of the blue on a random occurance of a fella's reg plate that their company would somehow be exactly have delt with before, more chance of the Euromillions?

On the other hand...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/snooping-on-pulse-nine-gardai-facing-disciplinary-action-for-misuse-of-the-system-3539090-Aug2017/

And you would be able to somehow on a one off on the fly somehow source him/her and pay them out of the blue on a random occurance of a fella's reg plate that their company would somehow be exactly have delt with before, more chance of the Euromillions?

On the other hand...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/snooping-on-pulse-nine-gardai-facing-disciplinary-action-for-misuse-of-the-system-3539090-Aug2017/

That guy exists in every company. You just have to find him and play on his weakness. We all know an alcoholic, bitter old boy or the sex pest. You find him once and you have him for life or until screws up and you can then cut him loose.

That guy exists in every company. You just have to find him and play on his weakness. We all know an alcoholic, bitter old boy or the sex pest. You find him once and you have him for life or until screws up and you can then cut him loose.

Ok so tomorrow I will ring up an alco in Axa to ask who I want to know who owns 191D1 and he will somehow from a magic show give me the details which he couldn't possibly have if the car was never ever insured by Axa.

Does the guy you know use a magic show or something?

*I don't know or say there's an alco in Axa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Get Real wrote: »
    You're correct in that insurance would not be valid. However your original claim that a logbook wouldn't be sent to an address that isn't linked with that person's pps number is utter nonsense (no offence)

Anyone in the country can send a logbook off and fill out "John Johnson, 123 Main street" etc.

Perfect for those who may have reason to engage in such antics/be involved in a criminal society.

Anyone, you, me, someone reading this. We might have a logbook in the car/drawer/biscuit tin. Nothing stopping me filling out false details in a false "change of ownership" scenario and posting it to Shannon. Then in 6 months time I'm observed not paying a toll/using a car in a robbery/shooting. And it's registered to a false name and address.

For people doing that type of thing, having no insurance is the least of their worries/they accept it as part of the risk.

www limerickleader.ie

/news/home/475752/brazen-limerick-criminals-register-cars-in-names-of-gardai-to-give-them-the-two-fingers.html

Ok so tomorrow I will ring up an alco in Axa to ask who I want to know who owns 191D1 and he will somehow from a magic show give me the details which he couldn't possibly have if the car was never ever insured by Axa.

Does the guy you know use a magic show or something?

*I don't know or say there's an alco in Axa.

It doesnt work like that either. Industrial espionage is very real thing. It takes time to culture an informant. They are usually one of the three above. You pay money for an introduction. You introduce them to what they want and a hey presto you pump them for information. Its a trick as old as time. There is always a weak link in the chain.

It doesnt work like that either. Industrial espionage is very real thing. It takes time to culture an informant. They are usually one of the three above. You pay money for an introduction. You introduce them to what they want and a hey presto you pump them for information. Its a trick as old as time. There is always a weak link in the chain.

Ok so in OP's case the odds of someone in his insurance company being linked to the caller based on his/her registration to him would be?

I'm guessing at least 7/1.

Ok so in OP's case the odds of someone in his insurance company being linked to the caller based on his/her registration to him would be?

I'm guessing at least 7/1.

I never said anything about and specific insurance company and I know nothing about the odds you are talking about. I was just demonstrating that is how you get an informant and keep him on a short leash for as long as he is useful.

Carry on with surmising about this insurance company.

Hi again all.

I had a longer reply typed out, but reading the replies I decided to cut it short as many posters are just having a go at me because they're imagination is running away with reasons I was taking photos.

Again, what I was doing was entirely legal and above board. If a garda car pulled up at my house, as has happened before, I'd have no issue with that.

The general go-to of the Gardai is to use my reg plate to get my address and call around to me. I have supplied the Gardai with my phone number in the past so they would have that.

I'm confident it must have been a garda that gave my info.

So the upshot is that I'll ring the data protection commission tomorrow and GSOC and see what they have to offer in terms of advice or opinions. Although my googling of GSOC makes me apprehensive. Not many seem to have good things to say about them.

In relation to the poster that keeps repeatedly asking over and over what I want to be the outcome of this: I want to make sure it can never happen again. This chap seemed polite and courteous on the phone. Other people might not be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Yeah you never want it to happen again.
    but that means nothing because of your are not looking for compensation then you are simply doing it out of a vexation and to fulfill a vendetta against whatever Garda might have given the information out.

Be careful. If you get a Garda in trouble, they will know it was you reported them and they will be out to get your for years to come and they may have their buddies tipped off to give your a hard time.
    I'm talking more frequent visits, inspections of your activities, pulling you for traffic issues, doing you over a slightly worn tyre or a blown bulb. Just making your life awkward.
    Are you willing to go down that road just to prove some point on gdpr?
    If you were looking for Garda vetting they might block it saying that there were complaints of you snooping with a drone. Might have been spying on underage children with it, etc.
    Be very very careful. The gardai look out for themselves, they are not too be messed with our vexed as you will come out the worst of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement