Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Bertie21 wrote: »
    Welcome any advice on whether taking a few lessons before starting the training with Dublin Bus would be a good or bad idea ?

Most places seem to only give lessons on Manual Transmission Buses and I believe DB use only automatic.

Thanks.

Save Your Money,They Are Very Good in The Training School.They Will Get You Through The Test.
    All DB Buses Are Autos,
    Best Of Luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't bother as above you're given more then adequate training if not some of the best...

Just remember safety it's all about safety.

One thing I found did help though was driving a box van or lwb sprinter as it's got similar blind spots and of course bigger then a car....

They won't have you out on the road till you are comfortable as you will go around the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bertie21

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    Save Your Money,They Are Very Good in The Training School.They Will Get You Through The Test.
    All DB Buses Are Autos,
    Best Of Luck.:)

Thats encouraging.
    Thanks for that. .
    Sound man.

Don't bother as above you're given more then adequate training if not some of the best...

Just remember safety it's all about safety.

One thing I found did help though was driving a box van or lwb sprinter as it's got similar blind spots and of course bigger then a car....

They won't have you out on the road till you are comfortable as you will go around the yard.

Thanks for that.
    Sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Bertie21 wrote: »
    Welcome any advice on whether taking a few lessons before starting the training with Dublin Bus would be a good or bad idea ?

Most places seem to only give lessons on Manual Transmission Buses and I believe DB use only automatic.

Thanks.

For reasons others have given, it'd be a bit pointless. Although if you're very nervous about driving a bus for the first time, it might help make your first day a bit easier.

• Advertisement

For reasons others have given, it'd be a bit pointless. Although if you're very nervous about driving a bus for the first time, it might help make your first day a bit easier.

Thanks for that,
    After hearing here and elsewhere about the quality of the training and the trainers, I am really looking forward to starting.

Thanks all for the feedback . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I seen one of the training buses out this evening at around 8:30. Didn't know they train drivers at night now aswell as during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I seen one of the training buses out this evening at around 8:30. Didn't know they train drivers at night now aswell as during the day.

That's drivers doing night training..its really for lads that having driving at night on a bus to show the difference between day and night..there was 3 buses out and about I was on AV50 last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

They do a night drive after you pass the test and the week before you goto your new garage. Its part of the training for everyone now. Like type training. Bit pointless if you ask me, but its done all the same.

No harm to be honest as things change....

I'd no night training or winter training such as ice or snow and it isn't like driving a car....

db use to have a skid pan but because of h&s this was stopped....

Absolute madness to be honest as I was out in the worst of it 2010/2011 and never experienced anything like it.....

Left foot braking, handbrake and acceleration at the same time was the only way to stay on the road at times....

Best vehicle to control were the 99 RV as they didn't have abs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sundrive89

I've just been invited for an assessment this Friday as 1st part of hiring process. Could anybody please shed some light on what's the assessment's all about? Just haven't got a clue but I want to prepare for it..thanks kindly for any help or suggestions

Sundrive89 wrote: »
    I've just been invited for an assessment this Friday as 1st part of hiring process. Could anybody please shed some light on what's the assessment's all about? Just haven't got a clue but I want to prepare for it..thanks kindly for any help or suggestions

Know some stuff about the company, think about safety and how to talk to customer and deal with them in a friendly manner etc...

It's most likely driving assessment unless you have done so but if not this will be a drive in a car to see what you are like driving then onto the bus if they deem you successfull

Know some stuff about the company, think about safety and how to talk to customer and deal with them in a friendly manner etc...

It's most likely driving assessment unless you have done so but if not this will be a drive in a car to see what you are like driving then onto the bus if they deem you successfull
    Hi..thanks for reply..so does this mean it's not merely classroom exam and it involves driving assessments as well? Thanks again😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

First assessment is a written one, so you'll have fare calculation (without a calculator), a written report on an accident and then a series of 8 questions with ranking answers that you have to self-rank. It's not overly hard or awkward.

First assessment is a written one, so you'll have fare calculation (without a calculator), a written report on an accident and then a series of 8 questions with ranking answers that you have to self-rank. It's not overly hard or awkward.

Hi..thank you very much. Really appreciate all the tips..now looking forward to my upcoming assessment this Friday and be done with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mr Regal

If you do get in be fully prepared to have no life and no set hours or even know what you will be doing.

No prospect of ever getting marked in.

I seriously do hate how this country is being sold off.

This reply hits the nail on the head, describes the job perfectly. People can dress it up how they want, job for life all the usual nonsense, but this man said exactly what it is.
    I'm three years there now and put an awful lot of time and effort and stress into that job to realise my family life is zero and social life is zero. You basically hand them your twenty four hours five or six days a week and say do as you please with it, I'll fit in sleep, family time and social time in the the rest. It's not as if the rewards are outstanding either for the lack of work life balance. I can honestly say I've missed the majority of those three years of my kids lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Mr Regal wrote: »
    This reply hits the nail on the head, describes the job perfectly. People can dress it up how they want, job for life all the usual nonsense, but this man said exactly what it is.
    I'm three years there now and put an awful lot of time and effort and stress into that job to realise my family life is zero and social life is zero. You basically hand them your twenty four hours five or six days a week and say do as you please with it, I'll fit in sleep, family time and social time in the the rest. It's not as if the rewards are outstanding either for the lack of work life balance. I can honestly say I've missed the majority of those three years of my kids lives.

yep. Agreed in part. I see the drivers getting very young. Early 20s. No way I would have stayed at that age. Getting your weekend sucked away every weekend. Getting marked out on the double time Sunday hours, and getting every pig duty there is.

But in fairness, I spend more time with my kids now. And the job is easy compared to what I used to do. As long as you can sleep.

They will squeeze every minute out of you as a junior spare driver.

It amazes me how they get away with working you till you are literally falling asleep at the wheel while, driving an 18 ton battering ram, through tight streets filled with drunks , cyclists and taxis. And 100 souls on board.

Yet if you drive a small lorry full of stock on empty roads, you have a tacho and have to take more rest hours.

yep. Agreed in part. I see the drivers getting very young. Early 20s. No way I would have stayed at that age. Getting your weekend sucked away every weekend. Getting marked out on the double time Sunday hours, and getting every pig duty there is.

But in fairness, I spend more time with my kids now. And the job is easy compared to what I used to do. As long as you can sleep.

They will squeeze every minute out of you as a junior spare driver.

It amazes me how they get away with working you till you are literally falling asleep at the wheel while, driving an 18 ton battering ram, through tight streets filled with drunks , cyclists and taxis. And 100 souls on board.

Yet if you drive a small lorry full of stock on empty roads, you have a tacho and have to take more rest hours.

Agree with you 100%. And glad to hear you get the family time now that's the most important thing in life, and happiness. You are obviously marked in and can plan around it more so, albeit still working unsociable hours missing family occasikns or nights out, leaving you with little holidays come late in the year. I just couldn't hang around another 9 + years for that. But good to hear you got there.
    And your point on the truck is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 moka54

Hi folks, been following this thread for a while. Been thinking about putting in an application as current work situation is not working out. I've driven multi-drop on a C licence a few years back so wouldn't be my first rodeo driving in dublin. I've seen a good few comments on here, some good, some not so good about the job. The thing that's playing on my mind is I'm looking for job security as we're a single income family. We have a young family and the hours for new drivers look like they could be hard on family life. I'd be grateful to hear your experience in regard to the above and what you enjoy vs. What you dont about the job. If any of the lads who started driving this year are sytill on here, what's it been like for you as new drivers? All comments welcome and thank you in advance lads.

moka54 wrote: »
    Hi folks, been following this thread for a while. Been thinking about putting in an application as current work situation is not working out. I've driven multi-drop on a C licence a few years back so wouldn't be my first rodeo driving in dublin. I've seen a good few comments on here, some good, some not so good about the job. The thing that's playing on my mind is I'm looking for job security as we're a single income family. We have a young family and the hours for new drivers look like they could be hard on family life. I'd be grateful to hear your experience in regard to the above and what you enjoy vs. What you dont about the job. If any of the lads who started driving this year are sytill on here, what's it been like for you as new drivers? All comments welcome and thank you in advance lads.

If you like long days, shift work and not seeing the kids 5 days a week then go for it.

I was in before had a kid so wasn't as hard.

Tiredness is something you will have to fight and dealing with the public is draining.

Driving in the city is stressful and is very draining as you are constantly saving lives and watching out for others mistakes, such as stepping of the path while on the phone or listening to music, cyclists and scooters shooting up any gap whether that be enough to squeeze the little wheel in...

Some get on grand and I did love it when I started but over time it's quite a toll especially when there are other incidents of altercations, attacks, deaths and injuries etc....

It of course has it's good points but for me they really aren't enough anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 moka54

Cheers punisher, doesn't sound great but thank you for your honesty. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

Cheers punisher, doesnt sou d great but thankyu fr your honesty. Anyone else?

plenty of people join DB a little unsure of what to expect. Some really enjoy it, are surprised and stay for years. Others hate it and leave soon after. To be honest your own attitude and circumstances are a major factor in whether you like it or not.

I'd say to you, put in an application, if you are successful you get paid training and hopefully a D licence, if you don't like the job/shifts/wages just walk away, no money owed like GAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I did it for 3 years. Liked it to begin with but the stuff punisher mentions gradually wore me down so I got out, not to mention the prospect of being spare and having no ability to plan anything was likely to last 8 or 9 years I just had to go. Being junior spare is no laugh.That said there's loads of lads who are there decades and still love it. You really will never know yourself until you give it a go.

I'm there a week so I don't really qualify for the aul opinion yet... But eyes wide open and make your own decision. Every driver I've met, I've asked their own opinion on the job and 9/10 love it and are there over 20 years. The only drivers I've noticed that hate their job seem to be the ones that post here on boards. If you don't like it, then just move on. It's nothing lost and you've gained class training and a new licence category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'm there a week so I don't really qualify for the aul opinion yet... But eyes wide open and make your own decision. Every driver I've met, I've asked their own opinion on the job and 9/10 love it and are there over 20 years. The only drivers I've noticed that hate their job seem to be the ones that post here on boards. If you don't like it, then just move on. It's nothing lost and you've gained class training and a new licence category.

What garage did you get ?

What garage did you get ?

Harristown

Quite condescending to be honest...

I'm just making my experience clear....

It of course has its good days and then some are lucky they've never had a syringe pulled or a blade or spat in the face numerous times.

Oh punched, death threats, threats that their families will be raped etc...

I actually don't believe there is that number as they most likely are lying....

Great you love it and carry on but I don't like been basically called the problem...

You should have stopped at "I don't really qualify for the aul opinion yet..."

If you're looking for job security, there's not too much better out there, although it's a slight concern the 10% privatisation that took place. It's a wage every Thursday. Don't be blinded by pensions, Credit Union etc... You can achieve these yourself any time. Bit of overtime as well helps as it takes so years to get on the top rate.
    After your few months of weekend's, you go onto a ten week roster, really a five week roster just different rest days at the end of the ten weeks. You're basically guaranteed ONE good early week in five weeks. You finish before three usually, sometimes a lot earlier.
    The other four weeks are up in the air. It doesn't do what it says on the tin, unless your marked in.
    With two days notice it doesn't give much room to manouvre family life etc.
    It's hard going being a spare driver. No consistency. It's a clean job, little physical work. A lot of concentration needed. Becomes handy enough after a while. There's a lot of pros and con's and as someone said above, its about your personal circumstances and whats best for your family. Being told all this I still would have went for it myself.
    There's sick pay, and on going Cpc paid training too, so it has a lot of positives. It's whether these are all worth sacrificing for your happiness and that of your family's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

But you DO qualify for an opinion.

You applied to join the company and met the relevant criteria,were offered a position,and accepted it.
    Your voice is every bit as relevant as that of any other member of staff,so don't allow yourself and your views to get boxed away as irrelevant.

Busdriving is a job...no more-no less.
    It brings together skill-sets not generally combined,but still readily utilised in other work environments.

The Busdriving environment in Dublin is by no means perfect,a reality which is repeated in a large number of operations worldwide.

London,Birmingham,Belfast,Berlin,Madrid Sao Paulo,New York...think of any major City and you'll find it's Busdrivers featuring in hazardous event reporting.

Equally,you will find accounts of uncaring employers and of Busdrivers being undervalued and suffering from oppressive employment regimes.

A great many of these will be true and accurate,yet it does not prevent other workers from coping with the same conditions,finding a means to workaround them and just getting on with earning a living.

You're spot on with the "Eyes wide Open" bit,and hopefully those eyes will remain open long enough to take in what you need to,assimilate it,and discreetly dump the guff,whilst putting the relevant stuff to use in order to gain confidence and develop an enjoyment level to suit.

If,after your probationary period,you're NOT enjoying the job,then that's the time for self-assessment and questioning whether YOU want to become the type of vexatious internet poster you describe.

Accept advice from wherever it comes,but always ask yourself what motives might be driving the giver of any particular piece of such advice.

In the meantime concentrate on one element at a time,focus upon your immediate priorities,and filter out the voluminous amount of chaff that can often be flung in your direction.

Onwards and Upwards ;) ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement