Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

psycho93 wrote: »
    am travelling to New York early next month, have an unlocked iPhone XS Max and use 30 day prepaid with Three. As their data cost is €5.08 /MB I'm thinking of going with either an eSIM option or buying a prepaid SIM once I get there? Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated

Bought a sim for data off Amazon. The company was called mostsim I believe. Very happy with reception and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭psycho93

Bought a sim for data off Amazon. The company was called mostsim I believe. Very happy with reception and price.

thanks, will have a google

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Have used this in the past https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan
    Think last time I picked up a sim in bestbuy for a dollar and top up was cheap 20 dollars for a month and covered everything I needed.

raytaxi wrote: »
    Have used this in the past https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan
    Think last time I picked up a sim in bestbuy for a dollar and top up was cheap 20 dollars for a month and covered everything I needed.

thanks

like the look of this tbh

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079RZ2NM7/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2EYXYNW2DHNHT&psc=1

• Advertisement

That's the one I went with. Except it was the 7 day plan. I made a mistake with the activation date and had to email their customer support. They were super and got back to me very quickly.

That's the one I went with. Except it was the 7 day plan. I made a mistake with the activation date and had to email their customer support. They were super and got back to me very quickly.

last one honestly!! am I right in thinking it includes calls,texts & data but not international calls? thanks again

last one honestly!! am I right in thinking it includes calls,texts & data but not international calls? thanks again

Yeah that's it exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

For calls, you can use this voice bridge which gives you access to your landline phone on your mobile.

Some of the Virgin Media packages include minutes to both mobile and / or landlines in international destinations.

Installed it on my iphone and it works well. Some of the Android users have experienced problems.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VEJBKJQ

Mr.S wrote: »
    Are the 3UK sims from MyMemory still the best deal for Data in the US?

Eg Three Mobile 12 GB Data Pay As You Go SIM https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

Or these T-Mobile “unlimited” Sims - they don’t mention a limit so I’m skeptical.

MOST SIM - T-Mobile USA SIM Card 10 Days, Unlimited High Speed Data https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079RZ2NM7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vDmoDbPBNZM6E

Just need access to data really, no need for calls or texts.

Bought the mostsim 10 day from amazon, arrived yesterday. Opened it and as directed out sim in my iPhone to check it was ok- got message ‘no sim detected’ which is what’s supposed to happen!

Activated on mostsim website for day of our arrival and got immediate confirmation email so looks like good to go!!

• Advertisement

Any idea of limits on the data?

Its unlimited data :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Bought the mostsim 10 day from amazon, arrived yesterday. Opened it and as directed out sim in my iPhone to check it was ok- got message ‘no sim detected’ which is what’s supposed to happen!

Activated on mostsim website for day of our arrival and got immediate confirmation email so looks like good to go!!
    I would avoid my mymemory. Their delivery is not reliable any more. Go with amazon or US T-mobile offer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

anyone know what carrier Three uses over in the states, going to areas that seem to be covered best by at&t remote areas , would i be best off buying a prepaid at&t sim over there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Unlimited is never really unlimited!

How much do you need if you are on holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

For those who have bought the 3 UK sim card and advised to register the sim on 3 UK before travelling, did you register the sim on the following URL? https://www.three.co.uk/Support/SIM_activation
    And for the 'existing phone number', did you use the phone number linked to the new sim or your actual existing mobile number?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My phone is 2 years old and wouldn't work with t-mobile network, apparently they're on different bands due to 5g which aren't supported on the phone, just something to bear in mind.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For those who have bought the 3 UK sim card and advised to register the sim on 3 UK before travelling, did you register the sim on the following URL? https://www.three.co.uk/Support/SIM_activation
    And for the 'existing phone number', did you use the phone number linked to the new sim or your actual existing mobile number?

Thanks in advance!

The phone number is on the sim and will begin 07X. The PIN is the last four (five?) digits of the long number underneath beginning 8944

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone use this sim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The negative reviews don't look good on Amazon. No tethering they are saying which would be a deal breaker for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

basill wrote:
    The negative reviews don't look good on Amazon. No tethering they are saying which would be a deal breaker for most.

Would be just for me so tethering wouldn't be missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

aaabbbb wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue. I already have a three sim so I'm going to use that and then pick up a Rogers sim for Canada and purchase a Roger's sim with internet add on but it's still very low so I'm looking for better suggestions if you find any

Find best option for Canada ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭masterK

I'm trying to use the three sim in orlando, however I'm finding the speeds and reliability woeful. Most of the time I can't even load a webpage. I'm pretty sure all the settings are correct as they match those posted a few pages bsck. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

masterK wrote: »
    I'm trying to use the three sim in orlando, however I'm finding the speeds and reliability woeful. Most of the time I can't even load a webpage. I'm pretty sure all the settings are correct as they match those posted a few pages bsck. Any ideas?

Are you getting 4g on your phone? If not then it's because your phone doesn't support the LTE bands they use in the states. So you're unfortunately on 3g which is woefully slow when I was there in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭masterK

Daniel112 wrote: »
    Are you getting 4g on your phone? If not then it's because your phone doesn't support the LTE bands they use in the states. So you're unfortunately on 3g which is woefully slow when I was there in 2017.

I just did a manual search and all I'm getting is T-Mobile 2g so that seems to be my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Daniel112

I just did a manual search and all I'm getting is T-Mobile 2g so that seems to be my problem

That's unfortunate. I had a OnePlus Two using the 3sim in California in 2017 and yup i was also only able to get T-Mobile in 2g mainly. I learned my lesson and upgraded to a Xiaomi Mi 8 before I went back last month and I had 4G everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

I'm just back from Orlando, and used the 3 UK sims in an iPhone, an Android phone and a Nokia Windows phone.

Didn't need to enter or amend any settings on any of the three phones, they all worked fine after a reboot once the SIM was inserted.

Mostly roamed onto AT&T, but some T-Mobile, all automatically selected.
    Not blindingly fast but certainly acceptable.

BUT... I had pre-activated/registered all three 3 UK sims in Ireland before we went to the US, and made sure they were working here first.

Good luck...

Just back from NY and must say theT-Mobile MostSim was fantastic! LTE connection from the time I swapped out my own sim on landing. Easy to follow instructions and simple sign up on website. Had WiFi in hotel but cellular was way faster. Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 46 landlord

Once again the 3 uk sim in a 4G UNLOCKED personal hotspot works perfectly in the US for tethering to multiple devices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

banchang wrote: »
    Find best option for Canada ?

Apparently GK Travel Sim covers US, Canada & 35 other countries.

Has anyone had any experience of them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Found a most SIM 17 day on Amazon that does US Mexico and Canada

Advertisement