Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rear Derailleur Shifting Problem

• 16-08-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I put together some old components (Shimano 105 - 5600, I think - about 10 years old) I had with a new frame and I'm having a problem shifting with the rear derailleur.

To move to a larger cog, I need to press the shifter twice and then go back down one. A single press/click is not moving the derailleur enough to bring it up to the next gear. Shifting to a smaller cog is fine - single click each time.

I've tried adjusting the cable a fair bit, so I'm reasonably sure it's not just that it's out. It's a new cable and housing.

Any thoughts on where my problem might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Derailleur could be worn
    Limit screws may need to be adjusted
    Chain could be too long/short

My money is on the limit screws. Release the cable and move the derailleur by hand. Ensure it moves the chain onto the largest and smallest cogs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

limit screws should only affect the outer throw of the derailleur, though? not shifting while between those limits.

limit screws should only affect the outer throw of the derailleur, though? not shifting while between those limits.

OP says he's having difficulty getting the chain onto the largest sprocket? to me that sounds like the "L" limit screw needs ta 1/4 turn to allow the RD to move a fraction closer to the spokes.

EDIT.. my mistake...its "Larger" cog and Not "Largest" cog.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

It sounds like the pull ratios on your shifter and your derailleur are slightly different i.e. your derailleur expects a great cable pull for one cog shift than your shifter is providing. If so, there’s no simple or elegant solution. New derailleur.

Edit: reading original post again, if you are using a shifter of the same vintage and a compatible model, then that’s not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Yeah, both shifter and derailleur are from the same family. It's a replacement derailleur, but I don't remember why I replaced the original. I might try the old one to see if that behaves differently.

As chatted about above, the limits are fine once I get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

onmebike wrote: »
    Yeah, both shifter and derailleur are from the same family. It's a replacement derailleur, but I don't remember why I replaced the original. I might try the old one to see if that behaves differently.

As chatted about above, the limits are fine once I get there.

How old is the cable, sounds like its stretched, maybe worth a quick replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Could be your derailleur hanger is out of alignment.

Or could be worn components on your shifter or worn chain.

You can google to find a complete list but I’d start with the hanger alignment

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

It's a new cable, chain and cassette on it, so it shouldn't be any of those consumable parts.

Any tips on checking hanger alignment? I've always just seen it as a static lump and never paid too much attention to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

onmebike wrote: »
    It's a new cable, chain and cassette on it, so it shouldn't be any of those consumable parts.

Any tips on checking hanger alignment? I've always just seen it as a static lump and never paid too much attention to them.

Use a plumb line.

Put the bike in a bike stand
    Put the chain on the large chainring and smallest cog
    Use the plumb line to ensure the small cag and the two jockey wheels of the rear derailleur are in line.

Do the same when the chain is on the small chainring and largest rear cog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement