Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-07-2019, 15:34   #496
Thinkingaboutit

Fifth Sunday after Pentecost
Commemoration of St Bonaventure, Bishop, Confessor and Doctor of the Church
Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Petri Apóstoli.

1 Pet 3:8-15

Caríssimi: Omnes unánimes in oratióne estóte, compatiéntes, fraternitátis amatóres, misericórdes, modésti, húmiles: non reddéntes malum pro malo, nec maledíctum pro maledícto, sed e contrário benedicéntes: quia in hoc vocáti estis, ut benedictiónem hereditáte possideátis. Qui enim vult vitam dilígere et dies vidére bonos, coérceat linguam suam a malo, et lábia eius ne loquántur dolum. Declínet a malo, et fáciat bonum: inquírat pacem, et sequátur eam. Quia óculi Dómini super iustos, et aures eius in preces eórum: vultus autem Dómini super faciéntes mala. Et quis est, qui vobis nóceat, si boni æmulatóres fuéritis? Sed et si quid patímini propter iustítiam, beáti. Timórem autem eórum ne timuéritis: et non conturbémini. Dóminum autem Christum sanctificáte in córdibus vestris. R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Romans

1 Pet 5:6-11

Beloved: Be all like-minded in prayer, compassionate, lovers of the brethren, merciful, reserved, humble; not rendering evil for evil, or abuse for abuse, but contrariwise, blessing; for unto this were you called that you might inherit a blessing. For, He who would love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no deceit. Let him turn away from evil and do good, let him seek after peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are upon the just, and His ears unto their prayers; but the face of the lord is against those who do evil. And who is there to harm you, if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you suffer anything for justice’ sake, blessed are you. So have no fear of their fear and do not be troubled. But hallow the Lord Christ in your hearts. R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum..

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt 5:20-24

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Nisi abundáverit iustítia vestra plus quam scribárum et pharisæórum, non intrábitis in regnum coelórum. Audístis, quia dic tum est antíquis: Non occídes: qui autem occídent, re us erit iudício. Ego autem dico vobis: quia omnis, qu iráscitur fratri suo, reus erit iudício. Qui autem díxerit fratri suo, raca: reus erit concílio. Qui autem díxerit, fatue: reus erit gehénnæ ignis Si ergo offers munus tuum ad altáre, et ibi recordátus fúeris, quia frater tuus habet áliquid advérsum te: relínque ibi munus tuum ante altáre et vade prius reconciliári fratri tuo: et tunc véniens ófferes munus tuum.
R. Laus tibi, Christe!

S. Per Evangelica dicta, deleantur nostra delicta.

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

R. Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

Matt. 5:20-24.

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Unless your justice exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. You have heard that it was said to the ancients, ‘You shall not kill’; and that whoever shall kill shall be liable to judgment. But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment; and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ shall be liable to the Sanhedrin; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’, shall be liable to the fire of Gehenna. Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift before the altar and go first to be reconciled to your brother; and then come and offer your gift.

R. Praise be to Thee, O Christ.
S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

‘The true sacrifice is reconciliation with our brother’ says St John Chrysostom ‘The first sacrifice is necessary to offer to God ‘adds Bossuet ‘is a heart set free from coldness and unfriendliness towards one’s brother.’ (Meditations, 14th day).

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sundays and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre O.S.B. of the Abbey of S. André, Bruges, 1940-1947, p. 807.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-07-2019, 23:27   #497
Manach

Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 105

Gospel LK 10:25-37
There was a scholar of the law who stood up to test Jesus and said,
"Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
Jesus said to him, "What is written in the law?
How do you read it?"
He said in reply,
"You shall love the Lord, your God,
with all your heart,
with all your being,
with all your strength,
and with all your mind,
and your neighbor as yourself."
He replied to him, "You have answered correctly;
do this and you will live."

But because he wished to justify himself, he said to Jesus,
"And who is my neighbor?"
Jesus replied,
"A man fell victim to robbers
as he went down from Jerusalem to Jericho.
They stripped and beat him and went off leaving him half-dead.
A priest happened to be going down that road,
but when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side.
Likewise a Levite came to the place,
and when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side.
But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him
was moved with compassion at the sight.
He approached the victim,
poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them.
Then he lifted him up on his own animal,
took him to an inn, and cared for him.
The next day he took out two silver coins
and gave them to the innkeeper with the instruction,
'Take care of him.
If you spend more than what I have given you,
I shall repay you on my way back.'
Which of these three, in your opinion,
was neighbor to the robbers' victim?"
He answered, "The one who treated him with mercy."
Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

Source : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/
Irish : https://www.catholicireland.net/read...day&lang=irish
Audio : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm
Commentary:

10:30-37 The parable of the Good Samaritan presents both a moral and a theological lesson. Morally, Jesus teaches that love for our neighbor must accompany our love for God. These together, and not one without the other, are indispensable for living in God's friendship. Theologically, Jesus illustrates that holiness as defined by the Old Covenant is now surpassed by the holiness of the New.

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 8850-8852). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.
Thanks from:
21-07-2019, 21:08   #498
Thinkingaboutit

Sixth Sunday after Pentecost

Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Romános.

Rom 6:3-11

Fratres: Quicúmque baptizáti sumus in Christo Iesu, in morte ipsíus baptizáti sumus. Consepúlti enim sumus cum illo per baptísmum in mortem: ut, quómodo Christus surréxit a mórtuis per glóriam Patris, ita et nos in novitáte vitæ ambulémus. Si enim complantáti facti sumus similitúdini mortis eius: simul et resurrectiónis érimus. Hoc sciéntes, quia vetus homo noster simul crucifíxus est: ut destruátur corpus peccáti, et ultra non serviámus peccáto. Qui enim mórtuus est, iustificátus est a peccáto. Si autem mórtui sumus cum Christo: crédimus, quia simul étiam vivémus cum Christo: sciéntes, quod Christus resurgens ex mórtuis, iam non móritur, mors illi ultra non dominábitur. Quod enim mórtuus est peccáto, mórtuus est semel: quod autem vivit, vivit Deo. Ita et vos existimáte, vos mórtuos quidem esse peccáto, vivéntes autem Deo, in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro. R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Romans

1 Pet 5:6-11

Brethren: All we who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death. For we were buried with Him by means of Baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ has arisen from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also may walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with Him in the likeness of His death, we shall be so in the likeness of His resurrection also. For we know that our old self has been crucified with Him, in order that the body of sin may be destroyed, that we may no longer be slaves to sin; for he who is dead is acquitted of sin. But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live together with Christ; for we know that Christ, having risen from the dead, dies now no more, death shall no longer have dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all, but the life that He lives, He lives unto God. Thus do you consider yourselves also as dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. R. Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Marcum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Marc 8:1-9

I n illo témpore: Cum turba multa esset cum Iesu, nec haberent, quod manducárent, convocatis discípulis, ait illis: Miséreor super turbam: quia ecce iam tríduo sústinent me, nec habent quod mandúcent: et si dimísero eos ieiúnos in domum suam, defícient in via: quidam enim ex eis de longe venérunt. Et respondérunt ei discípuli sui: Unde illos quis póterit hic saturáre pánibus in solitúdine? Et interrogávit eos: Quot panes habétis? Qui dixérunt: Septem. Et præcépit turbæ discúmbere super terram. Et accípiens septem panes, grátias agens fregit, et dabat discípulis suis, ut appónerent, et apposuérunt turbæ. Et habébant piscículos paucos: et ipsos benedíxit, et iussit appóni. Et manducavérunt, et saturáti sunt, et sustulérunt quod superáverat de fragméntis, septem sportas. Erant autem qui manducáverant, quasi quatuor mília: et dimísit eos.
R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Mark.

Matt. 5:20-24.

A At that time, when there was a great crowd with Jesus, and they had nothing to eat, He called His disciples together and said to them, I have compassion on the crowd, for behold, they have now been with Me three days, and have nothing to eat; and if I send them away to their homes fasting, they will faint on the way, for some of them have come from a distance. And His disciples answered Him, How will anyone be able to satisfy these with bread, here in a desert? And He asked them, How many loaves have you? And they said, Seven. And He bade the crowd recline on the ground. Then taking the seven loaves, He gave thanks, broke them and gave them to His disciples to distribute; and they set them before the crowd. And they had a few little fishes; and He blessed them, and ordered them to be distributed. And they ate and were satisfied; and they took up what was left of the fragments, seven baskets. Now those who had eaten were about four thousand. And He dismissed them.

Easter time has passed, but its spirit should never pass. Christ died once and now lives His glorious unending life. We also should remain dead to sin and continue to live together with Christ, the new life of holiness, nourished by the Holy Eucharist which is typified by the miraculous multiplication of loaves.
This divine bread is viaticum or food for the way, both for our journey through this life and for that of the souls into eternity. Hence the name viaticum given to the Eucharist when received in danger of death.
St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47[/i], p. 813.
Thanks from:
27-07-2019, 12:39   #499
Thinkingaboutit

Seventh Sunday after Pentecost
Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Rom vi.19-23

Fratres: Humánum dico, propter infirmitátem carnis vestræ: sicut enim exhibuístis membra vestra servíre immundítiæ et iniquitáti ad iniquitátem, ita nunc exhibéte membra vestra servíre iustítiæ in sanctificatiónem. Cum enim servi essétis peccáti, líberi fuístis iustítiæ. Quem ergo fructum habuístis tunc in illis, in quibus nunc erubéscitis? Nam finis illórum mors est. Nunc vero liberáti a peccáto, servi autem facti Deo, habétis fructum vestrum in sanctificatiónem, finem vero vitam ætérnam. Stipéndia enim peccáti mors. Grátia autem Dei vita ætérna, in Christo Iesu, Dómino nostro.

Lesson

Rom vi. 19-23

1 Pet v, 6-11

Brethren: I speak in a human way because of the weakness of your flesh; for as you yielded your members as slaves of uncleanness and iniquity unto iniquity, so now yield your members as slaves of justice unto sanctification. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free as regards justice. But what fruit had you then from those things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of these things is death. But now set free from sin and become slaves to God, you have your fruit unto sanctification, and as your end, life everlasting. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is life everlasting in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt vii, 15-21

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Atténdite a falsis prophétis, qui véniunt ad vos in vestiméntis óvium, intrínsecus autem sunt lupi rapáces: a frúctibus eórum cognoscétis eos. Numquid cólligunt de spinis uvas, aut de tríbulis ficus ? Sic omnis arbor bona fructus bonos facit: mala autem arbor malos fructus facit. Non potest arbor bona malos fructus fácere: neque arbor mala bonos fructus fácere. Omnis arbor, quæ non facit fructum bonum, excidétur et in ignem mittétur. Igitur ex frúctibus eórum cognoscétis eos. Non omnis, qui dicit mihi, Dómine, Dómine, intrábit in regnum coelórum: sed qui facit voluntátem Patris mei, qui in coelis est, ipse intrábit in regnum coelórum. R. Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Mark.

Matt. vii, 15-21

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will know them. Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore, by their fruits you will know them. Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father in heaven shall enter the kingdom of heaven.

In words addressed to the Holy Ghost, ‘sevenfold’ in grace, the Church prays in the sequence for Pentecost:
‘Grant to thy faithful, dearest Lord,
Whose only hope is Thy Word,
Thy sevenfold gift of grace.’
The first of these gifts is fear of God which is the found of all the others (Gradual); the seventh is the gift of wisdom, an enlightening from the Holy Ghost, thanks to which our intelligence is able to contemplate the truth of faith, set in a glorious light and in doing so may find great joy.
The sacred number seven which is borne by this Sunday (the seventh after Pentecost), suggests that it is this gift of wisdom that is the object of today’s liturgy, and that with the Church itself, we ought to ask for it from the Holy Ghost.
Thanks from:
28-07-2019, 23:48   #500
Manach

Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 111
Gospel LK 11:1-13
Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he had finished,
one of his disciples said to him,
"Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples."
He said to them, "When you pray, say:
Father, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come.
Give us each day our daily bread
and forgive us our sins
for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us,
and do not subject us to the final test."

And he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend
to whom he goes at midnight and says,
'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread,
for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey
and I have nothing to offer him,'
and he says in reply from within,
'Do not bother me; the door has already been locked
and my children and I are already in bed.
I cannot get up to give you anything.'
I tell you,
if he does not get up to give the visitor the loaves
because of their friendship,
he will get up to give him whatever he needs
because of his persistence.

"And I tell you, ask and you will receive;
seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks, receives;
and the one who seeks, finds;
and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
What father among you would hand his son a snake
when he asks for a fish?
Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg?
If you then, who are wicked,
know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will the Father in heaven
give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?"

Commentary:
11:2-4 A shorter version of the Our Father from Mt 6:9-13. As a model of prayer, it leads us first to adore God as our Father, and only then to petition him with our spiritual and material needs. Because it calls us to converse with the Lord on a daily basis, it is a sure means to deepen our relationship with him and develop confidence in his fatherly care. The repetition of the word us makes it is a family prayer for the Church

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 8850-8852). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.
___
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-08-2019, 17:10   #501
Thinkingaboutit

Eighth Sunday after Pentecost
Commemoration of St Dominic Confessor
Semi-Double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Rom viii, 12-17

Fratres: Debitóres sumus non carni, ut secúndum carnem vivámus. Si enim secúndum carnem vixéritis, moriémini: si autem spíritu facta carnis mortificavéritis, vivétis. Quicúmque enim spíritu Dei aguntur, ii sunt fílii Dei. Non enim accepístis spíritum servitútis íterum in timóre, sed accepístis spíritum adoptiónis filiórum, in quo clamámus: Abba - Pater. - Ipse enim Spíritus testimónium reddit spirítui nostro, quod sumus fílii Dei. Si autem fílii, et herédes: herédes quidem Dei, coherédes autem Christi.
R. Deo gratias.

Lesson

Rom 8:12-17

Rom viii, 12-17

Brethren: We are debtors, not to the flesh, that we should live according to the flesh, for if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the flesh, you will live. For whoever are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Now you have not received a spirit of bondage so as to be again in fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons, by virtue of which we cry, Abba! Father! The Spirit Himself gives testimony to our spirit that we are sons of God. But if we are sons, we are heirs also: heirs indeed of God and joint heirs with Christ.

R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Lucam.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xvi, 1-9

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis parábolam hanc: Homo quidam erat dives, qui habébat víllicum: et hic diffamátus est apud illum, quasi dissipásset bona ipsíus. Et vocávit illum et ait illi: Quid hoc audio de te? redde ratiónem villicatiónis tuæ: iam enim non póteris villicáre. Ait autem víllicus intra se: Quid fáciam, quia dóminus meus aufert a me villicatiónem? fódere non váleo, mendicáre erubésco. Scio, quid fáciam, ut, cum amótus fúero a villicatióne, recípiant me in domos suas. Convocátis itaque síngulis debitóribus dómini sui, dicébat primo: Quantum debes dómino meo? At ille dixit: Centum cados ólei. Dixítque illi: Accipe cautiónem tuam: et sede cito, scribe quinquagínta. Deínde álii dixit: Tu vero quantum debes? Qui ait: Centum coros trítici. Ait illi: Accipe lítteras tuas, et scribe octogínta. Et laudávit dóminus víllicum iniquitátis, quia prudénter fecísset: quia fílii huius saeculi prudentióres fíliis lucis in generatióne sua sunt. Et ego vobis dico: fácite vobis amicos de mammóna iniquitátis: ut, cum defecéritis, recípiant vos in ætérna tabernácula.

R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

Luke xvi, 1-9

At that time, Jesus spoke to His disciples this parable: There was a certain rich man who had a steward, who was reported to him as squandering his possessions. And he called him and said to him, ‘What is this that I hear of you? Make an accounting of your stewardship, for you can be steward no longer.’ And the steward said within himself, ‘What shall I do, seeing that my master is taking away the stewardship from me? To dig I am not able; to beg I am ashamed. I know what I shall do, that when I am removed from my stewardship they may receive me into their houses.’ And he summoned each of his master’s debtors and said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ And he said, ‘A hundred jars of oil.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bond and sit down at once and write fifty.’ Then he said to another, ‘How much do you owe?’ He said, ‘A hundred kors of wheat.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bond and write eighty.’ And the master commended the unjust steward, in that he had acted prudently; for the children of this world, in relation to their own generation, are more prudent than the children of the light. And I say to you, make friends for yourselves with the mammon of wickedness, so that when you fail they may receive you into the everlasting dwellings.

At Pentecost the Church received the outpouring of the Holy Ghost and to-day’s liturgy shows us its happy results. This blessed Spirit makes us children of God since we are led by Him to say in simple truth: Our Father. Therefore we are assured of our heavenly inheritance (Epistle). But to obtain this assurance we must live for God, in living by Him (Collect) letting ourselves be led in by all things by the Spirit of God (Epistle) so shall we be one day welcomed by God into everlasting dwellings (Gospel).

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1947, p. 815.
Thanks from:
04-08-2019, 23:29   #502
Manach

Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 114

Gospel LK 12:13-21
Someone in the crowd said to Jesus,
“Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me.”
He replied to him,
“Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?”
Then he said to the crowd,
“Take care to guard against all greed,
for though one may be rich,
one’s life does not consist of possessions.”

Then he told them a parable.
“There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest.
He asked himself, ‘What shall I do,
for I do not have space to store my harvest?’
And he said, ‘This is what I shall do:
I shall tear down my barns and build larger ones.
There I shall store all my grain and other goods
and I shall say to myself, “Now as for you,
you have so many good things stored up for many years,
rest, eat, drink, be merry!”’
But God said to him,
‘You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you;
and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?’
Thus will it be for all who store up treasure for themselves
but are not rich in what matters to God.”

Commentary:
12:13 the inheritance: Jesus is asked to arbitrate a fraternal dispute over an inheritance. Seeing that family wealth is causing family divisions, he responds with a parable on the danger of riches

Thanks from:
10-08-2019, 19:15   #503
Thinkingaboutit

Ninth Sunday after Pentecost
Commemoration of Second Day within the Octave of St Lawrence
Semi Double
[/I]
Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corinthios

1 Cor x. 6-13

Fratres: Non simus concupiscéntes malórum, sicut et illi concupiérunt. Neque idolólatræ efficiámini, sicut quidam ex ipsis: quemádmodum scriptum est: Sedit pópulus manducáre et bíbere, et surrexérunt lúdere. Neque fornicémur, sicut quidam ex ipsis fornicáti sunt, et cecidérunt una die vigínti tria mília. Neque tentémus Christum, sicut quidam eórum tentavérunt, et a serpéntibus periérunt. Neque murmuravéritis, sicut quidam eórum murmuravérunt, et periérunt ab exterminatóre. Hæc autem ómnia in figúra contingébant illis: scripta sunt autem ad correptiónem nostram, in quos fines sæculórum devenérunt. Itaque qui se exístimat stare, vídeat ne cadat. Tentátio vos non apprehéndat, nisi humána: fidélis autem Deus est, qui non patiétur vos tentári supra id, quod potéstis, sed fáciet étiam cum tentatióne provéntum, ut póssitis sustinére.asi lucérnæ lucénti in caliginóso loco, donec dies elucescat et lucifer oriátur in córdibus vestris.
R. Deo gratias.

Lesson
Lesson from the first letter of St Paul to the Corinthians

1 Cor x. 6-13

2 Pet. 1:16-19

Brethren: We should not lust after evil things even as they lusted. And do not become idolaters, even as some of them were, as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. Neither let us commit fornication, even as some of them committed fornication, and there fell in one day twenty-three thousand. Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them tempted, and perished by the serpents. Neither murmur, as some of them murmured, and perished at the hands of the destroyer. Now all these things happened to them as a type, and they were written for our correction, upon whom the final age of the world has come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. May no temptation take hold of you but such as man is equal to. God is faithful and will not permit you to be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also give you a way out that you may be able to bear it.

R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xix, 41-47

I n illo témpore: Cum appropinquáret Jesus Jerúsalem, videns civitátem, flevit super illam, dicens: Quia si cognovísses et tu, et quidem in hac die tua, quæ ad pacem tibi, nunc autem abscóndita sunt ab óculis tuis. Quia vénient dies in te: et circúmdabunt te inimíci tui vallo, et circúmdabunt te: et coangustábunt te úndique: et ad terram prostérnent te, et fílios tuos, qui in te sunt, et non relínquent in te lápidem super lápidem: eo quod non cognóveris tempus visitatiónis tuæ. Et ingréssus in templum, coepit ejícere vendéntes in illo et eméntes, dicens illis: Scriptum est: Quia domus mea domus oratiónis est. Vos autem fecístis illam speluncam latrónum. Et erat docens cotídie in templo.

R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke

Luc xix, 41-47

A t that time, when Jesus drew near to Jerusalem and saw the city, He wept over it, saying, If you had known, in this your day, even you, the things that are for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. For days will come upon you when your enemies will throw up a rampart about you, and surround you and shut you in on every side, and will dash you to the ground and your children within you, and will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you have not known the time of your visitation. And He entered the temple, and began to cast out those who were selling and buying in it, saying to them, It is written, ‘My house is a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a den of thieves. And He was teaching daily in the temple.

Today’s liturgy lays stress on the terrible punishments which will one day be inflicted on those who denied Christ. They will all perish and not one of them will enter the kingdom of heaven. Those who will have been faithful to Him through all the adversities of this life, will one also one day, be saved from the hands of their enemies and will follow him into heaven, whither he went at His Ascension, whose feast the Church celebrates at Paschaltide. These thoughts about God’s justice are suggested on this ninth Sunday after Pentecost by the story of the Prophet Elias which the Church reads in the Breviary at this time.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1947, p. 826.
Thanks from:
11-08-2019, 12:51   #504
Manach

Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 117

LK 12:35-40
Jesus said to his disciples:
“Gird your loins and light your lamps
and be like servants who await their master’s return from a wedding,
ready to open immediately when he comes and knocks.
Blessed are those servants
whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival.
Amen, I say to you, he will gird himself,
have the servants recline at table, and proceed to wait on them.
And should he come in the second or third watch
and find them prepared in this way,
blessed are those servants.
Be sure of this:
if the master of the house had known the hour
when the thief was coming,
he would not have let his house be broken into.
You also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect,
the Son of Man will come.”

Commentary:
12:38 second watch . . . third: Between 10 P.M. and sunrise. The Romans divided the night into four watches (Mk 13:35), while the Jews divided it into three (Judg 7:19). This parable seems to follow the Jewish calculation, where servants stand ready for their master throughout the night

Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-08-2019, 15:07   #505
Thinkingaboutit

Tenth Sunday After Pentecost
Semi-double
[/I]
Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corínthios.

1 Cor xii. 2-11

Fratres: Scitis, quóniam, cum gentes essétis, ad simulácra muta prout ducebámini eúntes. Ideo notum vobisfacio, quod nemo in Spíritu Dei loquens, dicit anáthema Iesu. Et nemo potest dícere, Dóminus Iesus, nisi in Spíritu Sancto. Divisiónes vero gratiárum sunt, idem autem Spíritus. Et divisiónes ministratiónum sunt, idem autem Dóminus. Et divisiónes operatiónum sunt, idem vero Deus, qui operátur ómnia in ómnibus. Unicuíque autem datur manifestátio Spíritus ad utilitátem. Alii quidem per Spíritum datur sermo sapiéntiæ álii autem sermo sciéntiæ secúndum eúndem Spíritum: álteri fides in eódem Spíritu: álii grátia sanitátum in uno Spíritu: álii operátio virtútum, álii prophétia, álii discrétio spirítuum, álii génera linguárum, álii interpretátio sermónum. Hæc autem ómnia operátur unus atque idem Spíritus, dívidens síngulis, prout vult.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
Lesson from the first letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

1 Cor xii. 2-11

Brethren: You know that when you were Gentiles, you went to dumb idols according as you were led. Wherefore I give you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God, says Anathema to Jesus. And no one can say Jesus is Lord, except in the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of ministries, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of workings, but the same God, Who works all things in all. Now the manifestation of the Spirit is given to everyone for profit. To one through the Spirit is given the utterance of wisdom; and to another the utterance of knowledge, according to the same Spirit; to another faith, in the same Spirit; to another the gift of healing, in the one Spirit; to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another the distinguishing of spirits; to another various kinds of tongues; to another interpretation of tongues. But all these things are the work of one and the same Spirit, Who allots to everyone according as He will.
R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc xviii. 9-14.

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus ad quosdam, qui in se confidébant tamquam iusti et aspernabántur céteros, parábolam istam: Duo hómines ascendérunt in templum, ut orárent: unus pharisaeus, et alter publicánus. Pharisaeus stans, hæc apud se orábat: Deus, grátias ago tibi, quia non sum sicut céteri hóminum: raptóres, iniústi, adúlteri: velut étiam hic publicánus. Ieiúno bis in sábbato: décimas do ómnium, quæ possídeo. Et publicánus a longe stans nolébat nec óculos ad coelum leváre: sed percutiébat pectus suum, dicens: Deus, propítius esto mihi peccatóri.Dico vobis: descéndit hic iustificátus in domum suam ab illo: quia omnis qui se exáltat, humiliábitur: et qui se humíliat, exaltábitur.

R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Luke.

Luke 18:9-14

At that time, Jesus spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves as being just and despised others. Two men went up to the temple to pray, the one a Pharisee and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and began to pray thus within himself: ‘O God, I thank You that I am not like the rest of men, robbers, dishonest, adulterers, or even like this publican. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I possess.’ But the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes to heaven, but kept striking his breast, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me the sinner!’ I tell you, this man went back to his home justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.

The liturgy for this Sunday seeks to impress on us the true notion of Christian humility, which consists in attributing to the grace of Holy Ghost whatever sanctity we may have attained; for our acts can only be of a supernatural character, if they are inspired by the Holy Ghost whom our Lord sent upon His apostles on the day of Pentecost and whom He never ceases to give to those who ask.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 832.

Excellent post on this Sunday on the St Lawrence Press blog, published of an excellent Ordo which provides the Mass for each day using the typical edition of Roman Missal of 1939.

Last edited by Thinkingaboutit; 18-08-2019 at 22:33.
Thanks from:
18-08-2019, 23:40   #506
Manach

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 120

Gospel LK 12:49-53
Jesus said to his disciples:
"I have come to set the earth on fire,
and how I wish it were already blazing!
There is a baptism with which I must be baptized,
and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished!
Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth?
No, I tell you, but rather division.
From now on a household of five will be divided,
three against two and two against three;
a father will be divided against his son
and a son against his father,
a mother against her daughter

Commentary:
12:49 Fire - A symbol of God's presence and love.

Thanks from:
24-08-2019, 16:31   #507
Thinkingaboutit

Eleventh Sunday After Pentecost
Semi-double
[/I]
Green Vestments

Lectio

1 Cor xv. 1-10

Fratres: Notum vobis fácio Evangélium, quod prædicávi vobis, quod et accepístis, in quo et statis, per quod et salvámini: qua ratione prædicáverim vobis, si tenétis, nisi frustra credidístis. Trádidi enim vobis in primis, quod et accépi: quóniam Christus mortuus est pro peccátis nostris secúndum Scriptúras: et quia sepúltus est, et quia resurréxit tértia die secúndum Scriptúras: et quia visus est Cephæ, et post hoc úndecim. Deinde visus est plus quam quingéntis frátribus simul, ex quibus multi manent usque adhuc, quidam autem dormiérunt. Deinde visus est Iacóbo, deinde Apóstolis ómnibus: novíssime autem ómnium tamquam abortívo, visus est et mihi. Ego enim sum mínimus Apostolórum, qui non sum dignus vocári Apóstolus, quóniam persecútus sum Ecclésiam Dei. Grátia autem Dei sum id quod sum, et grátia eius in me vácua non fuit.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
Lesson from the first letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

1 Cor. xv. 1-10

Brethren: I recall to your minds the Gospel that I preached to you, which also you received, wherein also you stand, through which also you are being saved, if you hold it fast, as I preached it to you - unless you have believed to no purpose. For I delivered to you first of all, what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day, according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, and after that to the Eleven. Then He was seen by more than five hundred brethren at one time, many of whom are with us still, but some have fallen asleep. After that He was seen by James, then by the Apostles. And last of all, as by one born out of due time, He was seen also by me. For I am the least of the Apostles, and am not worthy to be called an Apostle, because I persecuted the Church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace in me has not been fruitless.
R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Marcum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Marc vii. 31-37

In illo témpore: Exiens Iesus de fínibus Tyri, venitper Sidónem ad mare Galilaeæ, inter médios fines Decapóleos. Et addú**** ei surdum et mutum, et deprecabántur eum, ut impónat illi manum. Et apprehéndens eum de turba seórsum, misit dígitos suos in aurículas eius: et éxspuens, tétigit linguam eius: et suspíciens in coelum, ingémuit, et ait illi: Ephphetha, quod est adaperíre. Et statim apértæ sunt aures eius, et solútum est vínculum linguæ eius, et loquebátur recte. Et præcépit illis, ne cui dícerent. Quanto autem eis præcipiébat, tanto magis plus prædicábant: et eo ámplius admirabántur, dicéntes: Bene ómnia fecit: et surdos fecit audíre et mutos loqui.

R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Mark vii. 31-37

At that time, Jesus departing from the district of Tyre came by way of Sidon to the sea of Galilee, through the midst of the district of Decapolis. And they brought to Him one deaf and dumb, and entreated Him to lay His hand upon him. And taking him aside from the crowd, He put His fingers into the man’s ears, and spitting, He sighed, and said to him, Ephpheta, that is, Be opened. And his ears were at once opened, and the bond of his tongue was loosed, and he began to speak correctly. And He charged them to tell no one. But the more He charged them, so much the more did they continue to publish it. And so much the more did they wonder, saying, He has done all things well. He has made both the deaf to hear and the dumb to speak.

St Paul at first persecuted the Church of Christ. But he was later converted and then ‘he spoke correctly.’ Like St. Paul we should draw our inspiration from Christ and truly rely on his graces which will enable us to be truly fruitful.
St Joseph Daily Missal: The Official Prayers of the Catholic Church for the celebration of daily Mass. Rev. Hugo H. Hoever S.O.Cist., Ph.D., p. 494.
Thanks from:
25-08-2019, 23:09   #508
Manach

Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 123

Gospel LK 13:22-30
Jesus passed through towns and villages,
teaching as he went and making his way to Jerusalem.
Someone asked him,
"Lord, will only a few people be saved?"
He answered them,
"Strive to enter through the narrow gate,
for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter
but will not be strong enough.
After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door,
then will you stand outside knocking and saying,
'Lord, open the door for us.'
He will say to you in reply,
'I do not know where you are from.
And you will say,
'We ate and drank in your company and you taught in our streets.'
Then he will say to you,
'I do not know where you are from.
Depart from me, all you evildoers!'
And there will be wailing and grinding of teeth
when you see Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
and all the prophets in the kingdom of God
and you yourselves cast out.
And people will come from the east and the west
and from the north and the south
and will recline at table in the kingdom of God.
For behold, some are last who will be first,
and some are first who will be last."

Commentary:
13:24 the narrow door: Salvation depends first on God's grace, then on our cooperation and obedience (Eph 2:8-10; Phil 2:12-13). Jesus here stresses the difficulties of the spiritual life, where few will enter God's glory while the door remains open (Mt 22:14).

01-09-2019, 17:35   #509
Thinkingaboutit

Twelfth Sunday After Pentecost

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

2 Cor 3:4-9

Fratres: Fidúciam talem habémus per Christum ad Deum: non quod sufficiéntes simus cogitáre áliquid a nobis, quasi ex nobis: sed sufficiéntia nostra ex Deo est: qui et idóneos nos fecit minístros novi testaménti: non líttera, sed spíritu: líttera enim occídit, spíritus autem vivíficat. Quod si ministrátio mortis, lítteris deformáta in lapídibus, fuit in glória; ita ut non possent inténdere fili Israël in fáciem Moysi, propter glóriam vultus eius, quæ evacuátur: quómodo non magis ministrátio Spíritus erit in glória? Nam si ministrátio damnátionis glória est multo magis abúndat ministérium iustítiæ in glória.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
Lesson from the second letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians

2 Cor 3:4-9

Brethren: Such is the assurance I have through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything, as from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God. He also it is Who has made us fit ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the spirit; for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life. Now if the ministration of death, which was engraved in letters upon stones, was inaugurated in such glory that the children of Israel could not look steadfastly upon the face of Moses on account of the transient glory that shone upon it, shall not the ministration of the spirit be still more glorious? For if there is glory in the ministration that condemned, much more does the ministration that justifies abound in glory.
R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Luc 10:23-37

In illo témpore: Dixit Iesus discípulis suis: Beáti óculi, qui vident quæ vos videtis. Dico enim vobis, quod multi prophétæ et reges voluérunt vidére quæ vos videtis, et non vidérunt: et audire quæ audítis, et non audiérunt. Et ecce, quidam legisperítus surréxit, tentans illum, et dicens: Magister, quid faciéndo vitam ætérnam possidébo? At ille dixit ad eum: In lege quid scriptum est? quómodo legis? Ille respóndens, dixit: Díliges Dóminum, Deum tuum, ex toto corde tuo, et ex tota ánima tua, et ex ómnibus víribus tuis; et ex omni mente tua: et próximum tuum sicut teípsum. Dixítque illi: Recte respondísti: hoc fac, et vives. Ille autem volens iustificáre seípsum, dixit ad Iesum: Et quis est meus próximus? Suscípiens autem Iesus, dixit: Homo quidam descendébat ab Ierúsalem in Iéricho, et íncidit in latrónes, qui étiam despoliavérunt eum: et plagis impósitis abiérunt, semivívo relícto. Accidit autem, ut sacerdos quidam descénderet eádem via: et viso illo præterívit. Simíliter et levíta, cum esset secus locum et vidéret eum, pertránsiit. Samaritánus autem quidam iter fáciens, venit secus eum: et videns eum, misericórdia motus est. Et apprópians, alligávit vulnera eius, infúndens óleum et vinum: et impónens illum in iuméntum suum, duxit in stábulum, et curam eius egit. Et áltera die prótulit duos denários et dedit stabulário, et ait: Curam illíus habe: et quodcúmque supererogáveris, ego cum redíero, reddam tibi. Quis horum trium vidétur tibi próximus fuísse illi, qui íncidit in latrónes? At lle dixit: Qui fecit misericórdiam in illum. Et ait illi Iesus: Vade, et tu fac simíliter.

R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Luke 10:23-37

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: Blessed are the eyes that see what you see! For I say to you, many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and they have not seen it; and to hear what you hear, and they have not heard it. And behold, a certain lawyer got up to test Him, saying, Master, what must I do to gain eternal life? But He said to him, What is written in the Law? How do you read? He answered and said, You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole strength, and with your whole mind; and your neighbor as yourself. And He said to him, You have answered rightly; do this and you shall live. But he, wishing to justify himself, said to Jesus, And who is my neighbor? Jesus answered and said, A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell in with robbers, who after both stripping him and beating him went their way, leaving him half-dead. But, as it happened, a certain priest was going down the same way; and when he saw him, he passed by. And likewise a Levite also, when he was near the place and saw him, passed by. But a certain Samaritan as he journeyed came upon him, and seeing him, was moved with compassion. And he went up to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. And setting him on his own beast, he brought him to an inn and took care of him. And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, I, on my way back, will repay you.’ Which of these three, in your opinion, proved himself neighbor to him who fell among the robbers? And he said, He who took pity on him. And Jesus said to him, Go and do also in like manner.

The Good Samaritan (the word means guardian) is our Lord Himself. Having become man He is brought close to us by the great compassion He has shown towards us. The inn is the Church into which our Lord Himself brings man, as the Good Samaritan brought in the wounded man on his breast, for no one can take part in the Church unless he is baptised, united to the Body of Christ, and carried like the lost sheep on the shoulder of the Good Shepherd.

St Andrew Daily Missal; with Vespers for Sunday and Feasts, Dom Gaspar Lefebvre OSB of the Abbey of S. André, Liturgical Apostolate, St André-near-Bruges (Belgium), 1940/47, p. 847.
Thanks from:
01-09-2019, 21:55   #510
Manach

Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 126

Gospel LK 14:1, 7-14
On a sabbath Jesus went to dine
at the home of one of the leading Pharisees,
and the people there were observing him carefully.

He told a parable to those who had been invited,
noticing how they were choosing the places of honor at the table.
"When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet,
do not recline at table in the place of honor.
A more distinguished guest than you may have been invited by him,
and the host who invited both of you may approach you and say,
'Give your place to this man,'
and then you would proceed with embarrassment
to take the lowest place.
Rather, when you are invited,
go and take the lowest place
so that when the host comes to you he may say,
'My friend, move up to a higher position.'
Then you will enjoy the esteem of your companions at the table.
For every one who exalts himself will be humbled,
but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."
Then he said to the host who invited him,
"When you hold a lunch or a dinner,
do not invite your friends or your brothers
or your relatives or your wealthy neighbors,
in case they may invite you back and you have repayment.
Rather, when you hold a banquet,
invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind;
blessed indeed will you be because of their inability to repay you.
For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Commentary:
14:10 sit in the lowest place: A lesson on humility, where greatness is measured by concern for others and a modest estimation of self

Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion