Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Castrol Magnatec 5W30 C3 Oil 4 Litre

• 02-08-2019 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

€19.20 in Halfords..several other oil specs around the same price, roughly half price. PS , is C2 and A5 a petrol vrs diesel thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

as.eirinn wrote: »
    €19.20 in Halfords..several other oil specs around the same price, roughly half price. PS , is C2 and A5 a petrol vrs diesel thing?

Got the same spec oil in tesco for about 13 not too long ago , it's about 40 odd now I think Good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

gussieg wrote: »
    Got the same spec oil in tesco for about 13 not too long ago , it's about 40 odd now I think Good spot
    ...yeah, was 18 thereabouts earlier in year in Halfords, anyway, bought enough for a year r so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Cx oils are for DPF diesel applications. Ax/Bx is the petrol/no DPF diesel. The difference between same letters mean different requirements for HTHS.

These days you should not rely on ACEA spec though, look for approvals for your specific engine.

grogi wrote: »
    Cx oils are for DPF diesel applications. Ax/Bx is the petrol/no DPF diesel. The difference between same letters mean different requirements for HTHS.

These days you should not rely on ACEA spec though, look for approvals for your specific engine.
    Ok, so I've a seat Ibiza 1.2 petrol 04, I bought the c2 magnatec 5w 30, looked up the actual one , it's Castrol edge LL, this was €50 4Lt...I change every 5000 so I'm hoping it's ok.

Ok, so I've a seat Ibiza 1.2 petrol 04, I bought the c2 magnatec 5w 30, looked up the actual one , it's Castrol edge LL, this was €50 4Lt...I change every 5000 so I'm hoping it's ok.

You'll be fine for a N/A engine. C3 would be much better than C2 though - C1 and C2 are oils with reduced fuel consumption with HTHS between 2.9 and 3.5. It might be too low for a 15 yo engine. If you can exchange the oil to Magnatec 5W30 C3 (https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/castrol-magnatec-5w30-c3-oil-4-litre) it would be better.

Next time pick something with A3/B4 (or even better with BMW LL01) spec though - exp. Total Quartz 9000 5w40. Currently €31/5l @ micksgarage.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    You'll be fine for a N/A engine. C3 would be much better than C2 though - C1 and C2 are oils with reduced fuel consumption with HTHS between 2.9 and 3.5. It might be too low for a 15 yo engine. If you can exchange the oil to Magnatec 5W30 C3 (https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/castrol-magnatec-5w30-c3-oil-4-litre) it would be better.

Next time pick something with A3/B4 (or even better with BMW LL01) spec though - exp. Total Quartz 9000 5w40. Currently €31/5l @ micksgarage.
    . I forgot to mention there's only 68k on Ibiza clock, burns only a cup full on in a month/8 long journeys My Mrs car is a 1.4 diesel fiesta and I got same for hers but the A5, guy in Halfords told me you just check the makers on the rear and that'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Fantastic bargain OP. Thanks for postingwink.png

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone with trade card, don’t be afraid to use it with these offers, I got a further few quid off the last time this offer was on (around February IIRC)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Anyone able to confirm if any of the 5W/30 oils on offer will work with an Avensis 2011 2.0 d4d with a DPF - between C2, C3, or A5?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Cheers! Herself is coming up on service time and this is the stuff she takes.

• Advertisement

Anyone able to confirm if any of the 5W/30 oils on offer will work with an Avensis 2011 2.0 d4d with a DPF - between C2, C3, or A5?

Castrol site suggests C2 - but getting C3 won't harm it either. A5 is a definately no-go.

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/recommendation?vehicleType=cars&manufacturer=toyota-(eu)&model=avensis-t27-(2009-)&modelType=avensis-2-0-d-4d-f-dpf-(2009-2011)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Cheers OP.
    Type A5 suits our GenII Prius.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers OP, stocked up.

Here's one for the learned.

If you're changing from "normal" oil to Magnatec, should you flush the engine first?

Soarer wrote: »
    Here's one for the learned.

If you're changing from "normal" oil to Magnatec, should you flush the engine first?

No. Magnatec isn't anything special, that's just a marketing term Castrol sales gurus came up with.

But does it not coat the metal, and if there's already old oil there, it can't penetrate?

But does it not coat the metal, and if there's already old oil there, it can't penetrate?

Clearly the marketing **** is working, huh? ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No. Do not flush, just change the oil as normal. I wouldn't buy into any of the 'magnatec' marketing. I can't think of any reason to do a flush if the engine is healthy and just in need of a regular oil change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Is it ok to mix Castrol 0W30 oil type. I have about 3L of Castrol Edge 0W30 Titanium FST Fully Synthetic Engine Oil. Would it be ok to buy Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 0W-30 C2 Oil 4L and combine both? Does oil go off once it is opened?

pissed wrote: »
    Is it ok to mix Castrol 0W30 oil type. I have about 3L of Castrol Edge 0W30 Titanium FST Fully Synthetic Engine Oil. Would it be ok to buy Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 0W-30 C2 Oil 4L and combine both? Does oil go off once it is opened?

No, oil does not go stale... Cars are filled with oil in factory and it might be months before they are sold.

About mixing: it should be ok to top up with a bit of different oil when the level goes down, but I wouldn't change to already mixed oil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement