Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British version of Trump becomes PM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

satguy wrote: »
    Boris is nothing like Trump,

He not orange..
    He probably only has half the IQ of Trump.

Other way around if anything. I dont get how people think Trump is smart. Born with a silver spoon and his companies bankrupted a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yes, that's racist.

It shows the caliber of his person.

This was a racist comment.

Indefensible.

Wow, looks like you do not know what racist means, I dont blame you as the media seem to call everything racist these days it has lost its meaning and is usually used as a weapon when someone has very little proof to back up their argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He said go back to the countries you came from, fix the government there and then come back to America and show us how it is done. Which is very different and race was never mentioned so not a racist tweet in this situation.

The women he said that to were American. He just considered them non-American as they weren't white. It's the very definition of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Nermal

This was a racist comment.

The more you throw around an accusation, the less sting it has. Be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Stark wrote: »
    The women he said that to were American. He just considered them non-American as they weren't white. It's the very definition of racism.

The women he said it to are elected Congresswomen, which makes it all the worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Boris has no position on the EU.

By background and class you'd expect Remain but he is a Leaver for elections, especially his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Ignoring the silly and stupid thread title, will be looking forward to watching the news this evening.
    Normally I see the RTE 9pm news, but I am not going to watch it for this evenings news.
    Anyone know which channel will give the best unbiased reporting on the news that Boris is going to be new PM?

Channel 4 or TV 3 maybe?

Thanks in advance.
    And for the smart asses, it is a genuine question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

67260518_395278397656427_670100849061527552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQndGSgK6bHcujSBkWeHLtrd9A9tQtwU-WF22y09zL14FfiuBIDvtJl08XNkOtbDGMc&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=0f924cb09a481fb8b4757729418a3b69&oe=5DE47106

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I remember that video of him knocking over that little ten year old boy when he was playing rugby. It shows his character clearly. His statements over the years are also telling of his mendacity. He won't deliver a good Brexit, and thus will be a failure, and might stimulate their country into a general election. If so, there may be a Labour/Liberal government in place then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Enough of the Trump racism discussion. Take it to one of the numerous other threads on the US/Trump.

This thread is about Boris Johnson

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

1) "Brussels'" first purpose in Brexit is to send a message, with expressions of regret and sadness of course, about what happens when you try to undermine a more powerful force. Just look at it like the public executions of old. A nation which has spent centuries doing the same should be able to relate.

2) I find it's usually Brexiteers/the most rightwing English who feign this "fear" about the fate of the Irish.

In the not too distant past Ireland voted on an EU related referendum. The EU didn’t like Ireland’s response and we were all sent back to do it again until we got it right. I think it’s a case of, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"Chaos is a ladder"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

brucky wrote: »
    In the not too distant past Ireland voted on an EU related referendum. The EU didn’t like Ireland’s response and we were all sent back to do it again until we got it right. I think it’s a case of, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

How many times does this bunkum need to be explained to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So I wasn't far off it seems. Trump chimes in to congratulate Boris and remind people that Boris is known as "Britain's Trump".

EALCWPXW4Ace_HI.jpg

elefant wrote: »

Go on humor me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

elefant wrote: »

For ever, I'm afraid. You could correct it here but he won't believe you. You see, there's this guy down in the pub who said it and it must be true because he said lots of other things that he agreed with.

And even if you could stop it here, there'll be another pub or another letters section in a tabloid or even some nut on youtube just making this stuff up and it'll spread amongst the perpetually gullible and before you know it, that point will start showing up here again.

So yeah, you'll need to correct this forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone know which channel will give the best unbiased reporting on the news that Boris is going to be new PM?

Channel 4 or TV 3 maybe?

Thanks in advance.
    And for the smart asses, it is a genuine question.

Not sure about 'unbiased' but I've read that C4 news at 7 is the one that movers and shakers in media, politics, law etc. watch themselves. Maybe that's comparable to "the toothpaste that dentists themselves use"...

Boris might be able to deliver a no-deal Brexit and that's about it I think. A different form of Brexit such as a one with a good trade deal would require the Irish backstop.

BJ famously said this about the Irish border:
    there was "no border between Islington or Camden and Westminster", and yet traffic fees were collected.

So I'm not filled with confidence that he can save Britain from financial ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

At least he will get things done for better or worse he will achieve what that joke of a PM May could not.
    May negotiated a potential deal with the EU. He cannot and will not.

He's a Clown Prince. A Buffoon. He's little more than a glove-puppet for the hard-right in the Conservative party.

Can't understand how Sky interviewees can focus on what they are saying with those guys bellowing in the background.

• Advertisement

BJ described as "Britain's Trump" by the his American counterpart.

So BJ gets off to a flying start by rewarding people who paid him money with positions!
    The Financial Times has reported this evening that Johnson’s hired the Sky executive, Andrew Griffith, to be his chief business adviser in Downing Street. This after Griffith loaned Johnson his £9.5m Westminster townhouse from which to run his campaign.

Reacting to the news, Labour’s shadow minister for the Cabinet Office, Jon Trickett, has said:

Before he is even appointed prime minister, one of Boris Johnson’s first acts is to dish out a powerful job in No 10 to his super-rich pal who lent him his luxurious house in Westminster for the Tory leadership campaign.

The public would be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that Johnson’s friends can buy influence within the new administration.

It’s blindingly obvious – Boris Johnson and his government will act only in the interest of the wealthy elite.

For ever, I'm afraid. You could correct it here but he won't believe you. You see, there's this guy down in the pub who said it and it must be true because he said lots of other things that he agreed with.

And even if you could stop it here, there'll be another pub or another letters section in a tabloid or even some nut on youtube just making this stuff up and it'll spread amongst the perpetually gullible and before you know it, that point will start showing up here again.

So yeah, you'll need to correct this forever.

Ok. That’s convinced me.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

May negotiated a potential deal with the EU. He cannot and will not.

I agree. The E.U. cannot countenance a deal other than the one that May signed. If the E.U.were to nullify the backstop, it would start veritable upheaval from other small member countries - which might even threaten the Union itself. The E.U. cannot afford that to happen.

This gets better and better! The DUP are to demand more money/bribe than they did last time. In polls it was revealed that most Brexit voters would sacrifice Northern Ireland in the union in favour of Brexit. I can't imagine the bribes can keep flowing.
    The DUP leader noted that the £1bn-plus confidence and supply agreement – signed with Theresa May, to deliver her a Commons majority two years ago – “remains”.

But she added: “That agreement included a review between each parliamentary session.

“This will take place over the coming weeks and will explore the policy priorities of both parties for the next parliamentary session.”

So is it unlikely that the Tory party will go for another election in order to secure a majority or are they aware that BJ isn't the most popular outside of Tory members?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    So is it unlikely that the Tory party will go for another election in order to secure a majority or are they aware that BJ isn't the most popular outside of Tory members?

May be their only option if they can't get a deal, or indeed no deal, through parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Glad to see that stitch up by the nosey neighbour didn’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

steddyeddy wrote: »

I believe that the electorate would not be kind to either the Tories or Labour should an election be called at the moment. The Tories best bet is to hunker down for a while and hope for some good results.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    I believe that the electorate would not be kind to either the stories or Labour should an election be called at the moment. The Tories best bet is to hunker down for a while and hope for some good results.

I'm not sure they'd win but I think the Lib Dems would gain a lot of seats.

Advertisement