Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Same here, renewal email in, premium down only €7 on last year:

Bike: 1999 BMW R1100RT
    Broker: Principal
    Underwriter: Axa Broker
    Licence: Full / 25 yrs
    NCD: 3yr / 40%
    Excess (compulsory/voluntary): €300 / €0
    Cover: TPF&T inc commuting, pillion cover
    Mileage: 10k
    Benefits: Legal and breakdown
    Price: €235.16

Underwriter has changed from Zenith to Axa and Government Tax is on policy is up. Not clear with change of underwriter if riding other bikes is still on the policy. Will check later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

My insurance is due for renewal in less than 2 weeks, yet I still haven't received a renewal letter from CN. Companies are supposed to issue renewal notices not less than 15 working days before expiry of your insurance policy, anyone else had this with CN ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

chasm wrote: »
    My insurance is due for renewal in less than 2 weeks, yet I still haven't received a renewal letter from CN. Companies are supposed to issue renewal notices not less than 15 working days before expiry of your insurance policy, anyone else had this with CN ?

I know they usually cut it fine with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Licence: Learner
    NCB: 0 years
    Bike: Yamaha FZ6

CN: €646.33 TPFT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Is it better to let insurance lapse (even for a day) or get the quotes before that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Is it better to let insurance lapse (even for a day) or get the quotes before that?

Always renew in advance, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Makes no difference, except you'll be off the road : so what's the point ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

galwaytt wrote: »

Murphy's law would dictate that the day insurance expires is the same one some scummer robs your pride and joy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Why do that,a quote lasts from 2 weeks to a month.

Anyone got a quote for a 16yr old on a 125 lately?

I'm trying to arrange a bike based on insurance costs, but they they won't give a quote without a registration number.. ... the first 4 bikes I looked at on DD all had their registrations masked.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

Anyone got a quote for a 16yr old on a 125 lately?

I'm trying to arrange a bike based on insurance costs, but they they won't give a quote without a registration number.. ... the first 4 bikes I looked at on DD all had their registrations masked.....

You try liberty insurance online for a quote?

honda boi wrote: »
    You try liberty insurance online for a quote?

Won't quote online. Rang them : won't quote without a registration number.... The whole idea of ringing them was to get an idea of what is insurable......so it's like a bloody merry-go-round. .....

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Won't quote online. Rang them : won't quote without a registration number.... The whole idea of ringing them was to get an idea of what is insurable......so it's like a blood merry-go-round. .....
    Not too hard to find a 125cc reg on Google images. Liberty online has not been quoting me online recently - I fill in all the details and I get a message to give them a call.

Insurance has been a bit of a fiasco for me this year. CN is up 25% on last year, for no reason (same underwriter). Admiral won't quote me because the bike isn't garaged. AXA were coming in at 50% higher than CN. So my insurance has taken a substantial hike and I can't get a comparative quote that isn't 50% higher. Riding 20 years, no claims. Suckage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Livid today myself - insured with Principal as they were the least bad of a ****e bunch when Adelaide left. Had a 2015 1290 Superduke insured with them and the other yoke. Decided to trade in for a new one - first new bike in over 10 years. 18k or so value (everything is these days) and the pricks won't insure me on the new Superduke now unless I add a bike tracker and alarm.

The thing is kept in a locked and alarmed concrete shed with a ground anchor and is never out of my sight when I'm out on it as I don't use if for commuting.

Tried Nash and they wanted 1800 quid. Scum!

So now I'm stuck either having to pay for some tracker I don't want plus a subscription of 120 quid a year for nothing (like they are going into a gaff in Finglas to recover it) or insuring the bikes third part only.

20 years NCB and this is the thanks you get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

batman_oh wrote: »
    Livid today myself - insured with Principal as they were the least bad of a ****e bunch when Adelaide left. Had a 2015 1290 Superduke insured with them and the other yoke. Decided to trade in for a new one - first new bike in over 10 years. 18k or so value (everything is these days) and the pricks won't insure me on the new Superduke now unless I add a bike tracker and alarm.

The thing is kept in a locked and alarmed concrete shed with a ground anchor and is never out of my sight when I'm out on it as I don't use if for commuting.

Tried Nash and they wanted 1800 quid. Scum!

So now I'm stuck either having to pay for some tracker I don't want plus a subscription of 120 quid a year for nothing (like they are going into a gaff in Finglas to recover it) or insuring the bikes third part only.

20 years NCB and this is the thanks you get!

Did you try AXA?

A thing called payday, lads! It does affect some of us :P

Insurance is due on the 13th, payday isn't til the 19th but I'll likely chuck it on the credit card and pay it off immediately.

On-topic, renewal is €260 for a '94 Super Four, 3 years NCB, and full licence. Quote is from Carole Nash. And that's without even haggling properly or trying elsewhere so hopefully it'll decrease another wee bit when I ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Did you try AXA?

Just waiting on them to come back. Principal had actually insured me through Axa but it seems like Axa don't have the track thing - so hopefully the quote will be decent.

I missed Adelaide and 400 quid every year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

batman_oh wrote: »
    Just waiting on them to come back. Principal had actually insured me through Axa but it seems like Axa don't have the track thing - so hopefully the quote will be decent.

I missed Adelaide and 400 quid every year :(

I renewed my insurance on my bike with AXA last month having previously been with Principal, AXA were €100 cheaper to go with directly, in the case of Principal they are merely an underwriter who pays out any claim, they aren't directly connected to the main company i was told when i went asking the questions on it. Also if you are insured in your car with them you'll get what they call a 'six wheel discount' (Car + bike). thats what i have.

Adelaide were Cornmarket weren't they? Also MCE gone out of here.

A thing called payday, lads! It does affect some of us :P

Insurance is due on the 13th, payday isn't til the 19th but I'll likely chuck it on the credit card and pay it off immediately.

On-topic, renewal is €260 for a '94 Super Four, 3 years NCB, and full licence. Quote is from Carole Nash. And that's without even haggling properly or trying elsewhere so hopefully it'll decrease another wee bit when I ring around.

Rang around and nowhere even came close. Lots in the €500 range.

Went with Carole Nash again, and added personal insurance for €40 because if I do come off at all, €40 isn't much to pay to cover physio, injuries and so on... So €300 total, TPFT, and incl pillion cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

added personal insurance for €40 because if I do come off at all, €40 isn't much to pay to cover physio, injuries and so on...

They don't cover injuries or physio, only death/loss of limb. Or at least they didn't 2/3 years ago.

• Advertisement

Colm17RvB wrote: »
    They don't cover injuries or physio, only death/loss of limb. Or at least they didn't 2/3 years ago.

Just checked, it does cover injuries, physio, dental. Hope I won't need it, but good to have in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Got TP only for 260, TPFT was 320, comp was 360, from AXA on tdr125. Just got A Learner permit. 43yrs old no NCB. Have car with them so probably got the 6 wheel discount.

Got my renewal from axa.
    €330 for fully comprehensive.
    2012 Ducati Multistrada.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Same as Batman when I rang Principle, trackers and all that jazz. Liberty actually refused to quote me as they said bike is too expensive.
    So I rang AXA and they were brilliant.

40 yr old
    8yrs NCB
    Full A License
    KTM 1290 SAS €18,750

AXA €370 Fully comp with NCB protection and all the extras, inlcd leathers and helmet.
    All they insisted on was Immob. and alarm and a ground anchor. I already had the anchor so just bought the alarm.

Happy out TBH. I do have a few bike safety courses done and name driver on a cage so all that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just renewed with CN, €50 cheaper than last year for no apparent reason :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Getting back on the bike today after not having one in 5 years.
    Was quoted 360 TP only with AXA after getting level 2 on the rider assessment.
    TPF&T would be 610, FC 660
    Rang Carole Nash and they came back with 435 but then came down to 355.74
    36, full licence since 2010, 1999 BMW R1100rt valued at €1500
    Must say I'm quite happy with that as I duine have a NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Got tp with axa, wasn't thinking about personal medical cover, do axa do that? Can I get med. cover(hospital bills/loss of limb etc.) with someone else on it's own?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Waste of money if you ask me. Same as gear insurance

Life ain't always empty.

Waste of money if you ask me. Same as gear insurance

Yep.

I took out gear insurance once, and had the misfortune to drop a near-new helmet and put in a claim. They told me it wasn't covered because..........I wasn't wearing it at the time.

Like seriously, wtf is the point of having it then ? Tbh, if I had been wearing it, and had damaged it that much, the price of the helmet would the least of my worries..........

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Rang Liberty for a quote there. 41 year old first time biker on a learner permit. They ruled out anything over 600cc or over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement