Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The glorious 12th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Hold on francie, I will make a great wee montage video up about Irish republicans shooting in the head a few months ago. It will be gas...

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

timthumbni wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that at the parade today my kids were encouraged to attack the police or press of anyone else? This is just getting weird now.

All a 'great day out' until somebody says, in the interests of peace and public safety.....

The KKK had many 'family days out' and I posted pics earlier of them. I am sure they were great, but then you start to think what they are really about. That 'really about' that the BBC never go near when they are covering it and I'm sure parents don't either.

But the drift of 40,000 members away from the OO sure are thinking about it. Thankfully. Another case of life moving on without some.

Hold on francie, I will make a great wee montage video up about Irish republicans shooting in the head a few months ago. It will be gas...

Go ahead. And you would be right, but which community is making the bigger effort to stamp out this behaviour and call it out?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bloody hell Francie.
    You really did your research, didn't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Considering the council eventually abandoned its efforts to remove the bonfire at its premises, which was built without its permission, I wonder where you'd stand if you now went in and built one yourself?

Could you argue in court that they are being selective in who they stop building bonfires?

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved from AH > CA

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭boetstark

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not just knack bags as you put it.

We have Reverends in the north who want these things built and defend the builders. Politicians too.

It's a real classless culture. Most normal people in the world, if you asked them what culture was, would talk about art, music, drama, poetry etc. But culture to some is building a huge bonfire wherever they want, threatening people if they talk about moving it, loading it with tyres to poison the air, putting property at risk, and putting photos of people on it to express your sectarianism and racism.

Yeah, that's culture NI style.

Ok just to clarify one or two items.
    It is historic culture not arts culture as you questioned. The fires are lit to commemorate King William leading his victorious army to the Boyne , I know the official date is July 1st but it is traditional on the eve of battle commemoration.
    Also I live in the republic and I have seen numerous occasions in rural Ireland, bonfires being lit to celebrate occasions , eg a local team winning a gaa game. So please dont throw barbed insults at one section of the community in NI.

ciarang85 wrote: »
    There's more culture in a yogurt than there is in that shower

Can I ask what your culture is smart ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Orange Order a deeply sectarian organization, members not supposed to go to Catholic weddings or funerals, crazy stuff. Has a big hold on the North, Protestants don’t seem to question it very much, just accept that side of it and still
    attend parades/marches.

dd973 wrote: »
    Hate Ireland and the Irish but want to live in Ireland, and as ethno-religious supremacists on top of it all, odd bunch. (Not all of them, just the extreme element)

Sorry , you are incorrect. Nine Orange Lodges in ROI. 44 meeting halls in ROI , a beautiful parade in Rossnowlagh every year.
    Definitely Orangeism does not hate everything Irish. Republican ism and Republican terrorists and supporters hated yes. We do not like the church of Rome because we believe it is corrupt and full of man made dictatorial laws. That is not sectarian.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    Oh look kids, this float celebrates how we used the world's largest army to carve out a supremacist enclave for ourselves in which we can brutalise the natives at our will.

They used to have this scum baggery in South Africa also, and there was often a guise of 'family fun day out'. As luck would have it, the DUP were deeply supportive of the apartheid regime in SA in the 80s.

Ah go away and get a life . You haven't a clue about what SA was or what it has now become. You are just a typical online uninformed windbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

boetstark wrote: »
    Ok just to clarify one or two items.
    It is historic culture not arts culture as you questioned. The fires are lit to commemorate King William leading his victorious army to the Boyne , I know the official date is July 1st but it is traditional on the eve of battle commemoration.
    Also I live in the republic and I have seen numerous occasions in rural Ireland, bonfires being lit to celebrate occasions , eg a local team winning a gaa game. So please dont throw barbed insults at one section of the community in NI.

So you assume lighting a bonfire is culture? Fair enough, we all have different standards I suppose. I'd call that a tradition, not culture.

I have never, ever heard of a bonfire being lit locally, and I live in RoI too. Especially not for something like a GAA team winning a match. I think you are only trying to be pedantic, but if you want to give me a concrete example, feel free.

I think you'll find it is generally only one section of NIs community that is putting property and lives at risk with their culture, or threatening ordinary members of the public trying to get to their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have no opinion on that matter tbh. Nor probably should you coming from cork I assume. Why would you even ask that question?

You attended a parade in Ireland yesterday celebrating a gay king, from Holland.

I suspect the irony of the above is lost on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Can I ask what your culture is smart ass.

Well it's definitely not hate the neighbors fest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

NIMAN wrote: »

I have never, ever heard of a bonfire being lit locally, I

Here in the 26 counties I also have visited all the counties, and I have seen dozens of bonfires, not in July, but on other occasions eg mid summer's night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Orange Order a deeply sectarian organization, members not supposed to go to....

You could also say the Roman Catholic church is a deeply sectarian organisation, members who marry non-Catholics are supposed to bring up the children as Catholics etc

Ah go away and get a life . You haven't a clue about what SA was or what it has now become. You are just a typical online uninformed windbag.

How about informed insiders of the Orange Order?

Presbyterian moderator Ken Newell
    "there is a reservoir of anti-Catholicism and sectarianism within the Orange Order"

Brian Kennaway, 40 year member of Order and senior member of the Grand Lodge Of Ireland for 25 years:
    They are weakened by a sectarianism that few of them even acknowledge, are politically myopic to the point of stupidity, and more than a little ambivalent about matters such as the Belfast Agreement, the peace process and, it would seem, Loyalist violence. They are, in fact, a hidebound and unsophisticated bunch without vision or plan

janfebmar wrote: »
    You could also say the Roman Catholic church is a deeply sectarian organisation, members who marry non-Catholics are supposed to bring up the children as Catholics etc

If you wish to compare 'religions' open a thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭endainoz

NIMAN wrote:
    I have never, ever heard of a bonfire being lit locally, and I live in RoI too. Especially not for something like a GAA team winning a match. I think you are only trying to be pedantic, but if you want to give me a concrete example, feel free.

We do indeed have bonfires in Ireland, mostly in the west on the 23rd of June which is on the eve of St. John's day on the 24th. It was originally a pagan holiday that Christianity took over as they did with many holidays from the pagan calendar. So technically those bonfires predate the ones for the yearly king Billy love in.

There can also be fires for GAA victories, I remember fires dotted around the countryside in 1995 when Clare won the all Ireland for the first time in 81 years.

So yes we do sometimes have fires too. There is a big difference however, we don't build ours in the middle of estates and we don't burn flags of our neighbours to deliberately cause sectarian tensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,947 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Holy crap are you comparing your family fun day out to a riot in creggan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You attended a parade in Ireland yesterday celebrating a gay king, from Holland.

I suspect the irony of the above is lost on you.

Why do you mention he was gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Why do you mention he was gay?

Id hazard a guess its to do with the orange order opposition to gay marraige?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It'll be interesting how these parades pan out when Ireland is unified, whenever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Holy crap are you comparing your family fun day out to a riot in creggan?

I think the point is that there is no difference for a loyal fire lighting orange man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It'll be interesting how these parades pan out when Ireland is unified, whenever that may be.

I imagine there would be detailed consultation prior to any UI and stuff like that would be thrashed out-bonfires would probably have to go and passing Catholic churches would stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I imagine there would be detailed consultation prior to any UI and stuff like that would be thrashed out-bonfires would probably have to go and passing Catholic churches would stop?
    The majority of parades are harmless, they’re mostly confined to staunch unionist towns where they are welcome. It’s the small minority of contentious ones, where the bands can’t bring themselves to behave, that need to be addressed. Overall loyalist culture needs sanitised, if they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century so be it, but it’s happening slowly but surely. They don’t rule the roost any more, they just haven’t quite realised it yet

What a culture, celebrating a battle from hundreds of years ago and getting a buzz trolling your neighbours about it every summer.

armaghlad wrote: »
    The majority of parades are harmless, they’re mostly confined to staunch unionist towns where they are welcome. It’s the small minority of contentious ones, where the bands can’t bring themselves to behave, that need to be addressed. Overall loyalist culture needs sanitised, if they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century so be it, but it’s happening slowly but surely. They don’t rule the roost any more, they just haven’t quite realised it yet

I don't see much wrong with respectful parades.
    What needs reform is the Orange Order, but progress towards a secular state will see a natural end to it, because it so archaic/dogmatic in it's beliefs that it probably cannot modernise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

You could say that, if you were a sectarian loyalist troll like yourself. Comparing the Orange Order to the Catholic Church sums you up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It is. But this is a thread about the Orange Order. Plus the Church has been challenged and criticized fairly frequently over the last 30 years, with most people having abandoned it. It seems the Orange Order gets a pass, people who favour it don’t feel it needs to be reformed much.
    A question I’m interested in is why? Why does such a bigoted organization resonate so much with so many Protestants in the North? Is it because they feel they have lost control a bit since 1998? Is there another reason?

Advertisement