Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This day last year was the start of the drought with high pressure extending from the Azores into the UK and Ireland. At first, it was relatively cool especially the nights but it got warmer and warmer each day after with bags of sunshine for days on end up to early July!

shT8GJd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fantastic day here in West Clare, little wind and temperatures hoovering above 19°c, very warm sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Another day(post 12pm) with excessive cloud. Met.ie and their RTE forecast last night promised spells of sunshine unless they mean 95% cloud cover and 5% sun! Their cloud forecast map on the telly had sparse cloud cover but the majority of the country has been overcast this afternoon.

It always clouds over in the afternoon after the morning sun on summer days, why is that? (West to east movement)

483266.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sryanbruen wrote: »
    This day last year was the start of the drought with high pressure extending from the Azores into the UK and Ireland. At first, it was relatively cool especially the nights but it got warmer and warmer each day after with bags of sunshine for days on end up to early July!

shT8GJd.png

Text book example as to how most of Ireland can do better occasionally temperature wise than the southeast of England!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Billcarson wrote: »
    Solstice takes place today at 3.54 pm. Can't wait for the nights to get longer again. This time of yr does my head in.

Yeah I like the long evenings myself but could live without the brightness until nearly 10.30pm which is a bit much if you ask me. Hell the other night at 11.10pm it still wasn't quite fully pitch black. Prefer it to be bright until 9 or so is enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Very bright sunny start to the morning here in Dublin but more or less clouded over now with a hint of blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Mostly cloudy in Dublin 5 today, yesterday was better despite the shower.

I hope everyone who did the LC/JC did great (eg. Sryan and SleetAndSnow) and now that they are finished hopefully we get nice weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Today was a great day felt quiet hot in the sun, my famers tan is doing quiet well
    Ha ha

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Mostly cloudy in Dublin 5 today, yesterday was better despite the shower.

I hope everyone who did the LC/JC did great (eg. Sryan and SleetAndSnow) and now that they are finished hopefully we get nice weather.

Thanks Artane2002. The dream right now is a beautiful warm and sunny couple days so I can take my pool out. No guarantees in Ireland of course :pac: . I’ve had it out at least once for a few days for the past 3 years. 2015 was too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Thanks Artane2002. The dream right now is a beautiful warm and sunny couple days so I can take my pool out. No guarantees in Ireland of course :pac: . I’ve had it out at least once for a few days for the past 3 years. 2015 was too cold.

Sorry for being nosey but what do you plan for your future endeavors .

• Advertisement

Billcarson wrote: »
    Solstice takes place today at 3.54 pm. Can't wait for the nights to get longer again. This time of yr does my head in.

Why is that .......I’m genuinely interested ?

I love brightness and daylight and need it, I suffer from SAD a bit .
    But I also feel that there is more pressure to be doing stuff , everybody is outside doing things, I feel a bit weird and guilty coming inside before 9pm even though I’d often prefer to !

Im off now to celebrate the Solstice with an evening walk along the headland at Clogherhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Thanks Artane2002!

Just back from the concerts in independent park here in cork, weather was perfect for it. Sunny, little cloud, warm and a slight breeze every now and then. Great way to end LC anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Europe having all the fun next week, hopefully some sun will end up with us and put us out of the misery of an early spring like June https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/continental-europe-braced-for-potentially-dangerous-heatwave

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gorgeous morning in North county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The way the media is going on about the upcoming heatwave in Europe in the middle of the summer you would swear the end was near. 37c in Spain? Omg. 39c in Greece, surely that's never happened before. 35c in France, at the end of June!!!

Who can I give my money to in order to stop this unprecedented tragedy?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Gorgeous morning in North county Dublin.

Yes, before the cloud will hit us probably in the next hour. It's like groundhog day every day with sunny mornings and cloudy afternoon/evenings :(

ZX7R wrote: »
    Sorry for being nosey but what do you plan for your future endeavors .

Without going off topic of weather, I am doing a PLC Media Production course next year. I hope to gain skills or acquire knowledge from this course for photography and video editing. I'd love to make some weather documentaries on Ireland's weather in 2010, 2000/01, 1995, 1982 and 1976.

Photography is currently my big interest right now and specifically weather or nature. Last night's sunset was the best I had seen here in a while at Howth.

https://twitter.com/PhotographyWx/status/1142199502637621249

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

The very best of luck to you Syran

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Without going off topic of weather, I am doing a PLC Media Production course next year. I hope to gain skills or acquire knowledge from this course for photography and video editing. I'd love to make some weather documentaries on Ireland's weather in 2010, 2000/01, 1995, 1982 and 1976.

Photography is currently my big interest right now and specifically weather or nature. Last night's sunset was the best I had seen here in a while at Howth.

sounds like a wonderful course, video production is a fantastic skillset to have, I do some of it myself and really enjoy it, editing videos can also be very relaxing and fun when you really get stuck into it! best of luck with the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Waterford

Persistent, and at times, heavy rain during Sunday will lead to accumulations between 25 to 40mm.
    There is potential for this warning to be extended to include other counties.

Valid: Sunday 23 June 2019 05:00 to Sunday 23 June 2019 21:00

Issued: Saturday 22 June 2019 11:00

Updated: Saturday 22 June 2019 11:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

16.4C in Castlebar today, but mostly overcast and feeling very close even though humidity is only at 66%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cloudy, meh. Normal crap without the rain. An amazing 16C, warmest in June.

Clouds have passed here and cleared in the east, its a sunny day with blue skies so far at 18C. Looks like it'll continue nice in the east for the next few hours according to the cloud radar. I retract my previous moan about the clouds destroying our Saturday afternoon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Some very interesting posts re our long, long summer days.

I arrived back to Ireland yesterday in time to celebrate the solstice. And I certainly did celebrate, looking out at the majestic mountains in broad daylight at 10.30 pm, glass of Spanish vino in hand.:) A quote from poet Derek Mahon about "the late light of June" comes to mind. And personally I really love it and while I enjoyed the heat and sunshine in Spain I did miss the lovely late light we get here. Conversely, I also enjoy short winter nights and find them cosy.

But different perspectives I guess and I also tend to agree with the poster who said that we feel guilty if not out and about at 10 because it's light, kind of crazy when you consider that 10 pm in December is the dark,deep night.

I too hope that we remain on standard Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

clear blue sky, warm se breeze, 19 - 20C,

what`s not to like

i`ll settle for this the rest of the summer!

(sth co, down)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gorgeous down on bull island beach.. and it's getting warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Wow Syran that sounds brilliant! Lovely to see people follow their calling and do what they enjoy and are good at. Too many people get stuck in jobs that bore them and life really is too short for that.

Best of luck to you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Mostly cloudy in cork and a strong enough wind actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Xenji wrote: »
    16.4C in Castlebar today, but mostly overcast and feeling very close even though humidity is only at 66%.

same out here; getting very dark and oppressive. I guess I won;t need to water the garden.... lovely and mild though..
    west mayo offshore island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Sounds great Syran, and very interesting! The very best of luck with it :)

Advertisement