Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see the site that was cleared on Gerald griffin street a while back still has no activity on it, a smaller site has been cleared across the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

ofcork wrote: »
    I see the site that was cleared on Gerald griffin street a while back still has no activity on it, a smaller site has been cleared across the road too.

Both apartments right?

Social housing on the Neptune site I believe not sure about the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

snotboogie wrote: »
    Crane up in Penrose dock making it 12 in the city centre and 14 if you include the metro area. We must be close to overtaking the height of the Celtic Tiger for development. Looking to the future the count will hover around 12 to 15 until the end of the summer before dropping down to (or very close to) single figures. It will then shoot up early in the new year again with a surge of student apartment activity in the west of the city. If half of the stuff that is promised goes to construction we'll be well into the 20's by next summer. Susceptibility to economic changes, a lack of will to build large apartment developments and a complete apathy from central government are obviously the major concerns.

[Tangent]
    was watching some of the cricket earlier and this shot came on screen - 17 cranes on 1 site - Battersea Power station

BPS%20Crane%20CUR%20M%202.jpg?Action=thumbnail&algorithm=fill_proportional&width=550

[End Tangent]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

blindsider wrote: »
    [Tangent]
    was watching some of the cricket earlier and this shot came on screen - 17 cranes on 1 site - Battersea Power station

[End Tangent]
    I was out there a few months back; it’s a huge development. Very impressive looking at it, and counting the cranes, while passing in the cab.

• Advertisement

Is johnny ronan still involved in that site.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're being serious?

I'll be honest with you here, I don't think that your stated circumstances above are necessarily the same as "car is just needed".

You're going to a yoga class (I'm assuming some degree of mobility on your part: my apologies if I'm wrong!).
    There's €2 parking available in the car park.
    You have the option of a bus (albeit it's going to require some more of your time, so perhaps a higher frequency would be good).

You're not the stereotypical user that comes to mind when one thinks "a car is just needed".

At a risk of annoying you I'll go slightly further and say you're specifically the type of user that they want to discourage from driving. And you potentially make a good argument for removing street parking further. Unless your post was tongue-in-cheek, of course.

Why would it be tongue in cheek? I'm dead serious. I'm only giving an example and it's just my opinion. All I'm saying is a lot of people use their cars to travel to this place - even from the other side of the city I'd say - so I'd say it's going to lose out on a lot of business and it's a very popular place. It's just unfortunate for the business and it's customers. I'm not making out like I'm the "stereotyical user" like you say. I just feel for some of those businesses in Penrose. I'd have no issue getting a bus if I thought it was reliable and wouldn't take me half an hour just to get down and then back again. You can't just blanket take away all parking and expect everyone to cycle or get the bus - I've never cycled in my life (apart from when I was a child) because I just wouldn't feel safe and I'm not experienced. It's easy to say if you're not in the situation yourself.

I'm all for decereasing the dependancy on the car but not in all situations. The car unfortunately is king in Ireland and no matter how much you push for people to cycle or get public transport, people still have to drive. There has to be a major overhaul of public transport and the frequency and reliability of it; then who knows....maybe I'll hop on a bus on a wet, cold winters night and head off to yoga ;) Or maybe I'll just have to suck it up and pay the 2e :pac:

Its attitudes like yours that need to change because I suspect many which share your view that "car is king" will not make the modal shift to public transport no matter how much it inproves. There much be stick along with the carrot...

Car based sprawl is a complete scourge on Irish cities, is completely unsustainable and goes against good urban planning and the compact city model. Cork, Dublin and Limerick are bad enough: but look at Galway, a tiny city a third the size of Cork literally choked with traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Its attitudes like yours that need to change because I suspect many which share your view that "car is king" will not make the modal shift to public transport no matter how much it inproves. There much be stick along with the carrot...

Car based sprawl is a complete scourge on Irish cities, is completely unsustainable and goes against good urban planning and the compact city model. Cork, Dublin and Limerick are bad enough: but look at Galway, a tiny city a third the size of Cork literally choked with traffic.

Public transport in Cork is **** compared to Dublin, you need a car here to have any kind of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Public transport in Cork is **** compared to Dublin, you need a car here to have any kind of life.

Especially in the city centre.
    And especially for all the new high-density developments in the city centre. We need moar cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

ofcork wrote: »
    Is johnny ronan still involved in that site.

It's changed hands a couple of times since the bauld Johnny had his hands on it I believe. A Middle-Eastern crowd are behind the development as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement

Anyone know why they needed three traffic lights at the bridge beside the regional park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Presume they installed the lights as the bridge is really only one way and traffic volumes can be high around there, esp. with events in the park e.g. park runs.

The top one is for distance I assume - one lower down might have been enough alright.....

Presume they installed the lights as the bridge is really only one way and traffic volumes can be high around there, esp. with events in the park e.g. park runs.

The top one is for distance I assume - one lower down might have been enough alright.....

Often you need two heights - for both HGV's and cars.
    The third one, I have no explanation for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

travel that bridge every day, the lights are actually a big improvement. I guess there are three as there's a few yellow boxes installed on both approaches to the bridge now, and people need to see the lights from a few angles.

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    Anyone know why they needed three traffic lights at the bridge beside the regional park?

482903.jpeg

The main issue I see there is the camber of the road. Looks very steep:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Have to laugh at the Climate Action Plan launched yesterday. All these ambitious plans to dramatically reduce emissions by 2030. Yet only a few weeks ago CMATS was launched and does nothing for emissions by 2030. A possible Luas and electrified suburban rail maybe by 2040 (none of which is currently funded). Comical lack of joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the Climate Action Plan launched yesterday. All these ambitious plans to dramatically reduce emissions by 2030. Yet only a few weeks ago CMATS was launched and does nothing for emissions by 2030. A possible Luas and electrified suburban rail maybe by 2040 (none of which is currently funded). Comical lack of joined up thinking.

both documents are damp squibs. Both will only have the cheapest elements implemented. All the taxes and levies will be applied, there'll be almost no infrastructure built. There might be some cycle lanes built, but they'll be patchy and disconnected. Rumours this morning that bus connects in Dublin is cancelled and there's talk of an harsh budget for 2020 which means metrolink is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Counted eight cranes in that single pic!

482998.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Good shot, I assume that's 4 at Penrose Dock and Horgan's Quay, 1 at Navigation Square, and 3 at Brewery Quarter? We're certainly lagging well behind Dublin, but it's still probably one of the busiest building periods the city centre has had in a long, long time.

p.s. Yeesh. 'Modern' flat roofs crammed with air-conditioning units and ducting are ugly as sin.

Often you need two heights - for both HGV's and cars.
    The third one, I have no explanation for.

Cyclists?

• Advertisement

Cyclists?

Don't think so: the cyclists lights I've seen tend to be little mini-lights on the same pole as the car ones. Most likely the multiple angles of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

namloc1980 wrote: »

Welcome to Ireland, enjoy your stay.

Millerd St flats are powering ahead.

483102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

marno21 wrote: »
    FYI 16 page supplement in tomorrow’s Sunday Business Post on developments etc in Cork

Saw that and bought it. Whole thing was a repeat of the same mantra over and over 'Potential' 'Confidence' City Rising' 'On the cusp of a modal shift' bla bla - get back to me when shovels are in the ground re at least the following: Tivoli, rail upgrade, Marina Park.

Time to sh1t or get off the pot now with all of these plans.

It's as if they really think that business leaders swallow all this guff about potential, as opposed to hard development

Saw that and bought it. Whole thing was a repeat of the same mantra over and over 'Potential' 'Confidence' City Rising' 'On the cusp of a modal shift' bla bla - get back to me when shovels are in the ground re at least the following: Tivoli, rail upgrade, Marina Park.

Time to sh1t or get off the pot now with all of these plans.

I also bought this.
    Worthless, IMO. Article after article full of corporate jargon, and nothing of substance / value.

This is Cork's fill for the next while I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I also bought this.
    Worthless, IMO. Article after article full of corporate jargon, and nothing of substance / value.

This is Cork's fill for the next while I'd say.

CMATS tells you all you need to know about where Cork stands. Unfunded aspirational stuff with ludicrously long timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

opus wrote: »

And that folks, is the new Event Centre :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

kub wrote: »
    And that folks, is the new Event Centre :rolleyes:

There are only 500 seats so hardly. They also don’t have funding yet so it could be a long way off.

Horgans Quay apartments and the mini Elyssian by the link both passed their pre planning process today.

Advertisement