Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

21C at midnight here on the French Riviera after a hot cloudless day, a much needed escape from the depressing crap back home. High 20's forecast all week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭acequion

Ah look I've been in the south of Spain [near Alicante] since 3rd June and while the dreadful weather at home has me gobsmacked reading the posts on boards, in all fairness it hasn't been that brilliant here either. Temps have been at best mid 20's, with yesterday peaking at 28,the hottest, while nights have ranged from middling warm to fairly cool, as in ask for a table indoors in the restaurant, cool.And today was positively gloomy all day, really overcast. A friend of mine said that temps are running a good 3/4 deg below average.

So is it global warming,global cooling or global weirdness? Deffo global something!

I totally get that luxuriating feeling of getting off a plane from Ireland into more normal summer heat that Donegal Storm just expressed and am dreading heading back to the cold in Ireland next weekend. And thankfully I'll be heading back to heat soon after as I always spend at least half my summers abroad.

But so far this June in Spain wouldn't live up to Ireland's June /July of 2018. Strange thought considering how bad is Ireland's and indeed Spain's June 2019!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Dismal evening in Dublin with heavy rain. Wasn't a good day to be honest, although a nice rainbow just now.

The morning and evening was fairly miserable but the rain held off for the most part of the afternoon which was ok. It was a noticeable improvement on past week anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

acequion wrote: »

But so far this June in Spain wouldn't live up to Ireland's June /July of 2018. Strange thought considering how bad is Ireland's and indeed Spain's June 2019!

Temperatures across all of western Europe including Spain and Portugal have been below average for 3 weeks now. Temperatures in Spain and Portugal as well as France recovering to normal values now tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭acequion

I hope they recover a bit at home. Just as it's wonderful to get off a plane to warmth, it's horrible to get back off it to cold and rain on the return lag. And we have a very early morning flight.:eek:

My one abiding memory of flying back from the sun last year was flying right into the sun, once it was 29C in Shannon. What a summer!

Beautiful day here today and hot already so I'll make the most and hopefully bring some of it home.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Balmy 22 degrees north of Hamburg here (which is further north than Ireland even). Crazy how out of whack we are with the rest of Europe, there is no where comparable it seems in the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

What are the chances of the south Midlands staying dry until Thursday. Have a bit of work to do. MT's forecast is showing next week to be more unsettled than this week. It looks now as though there is no possibility of a decent spell of high pressure building at all in June. Would this be a correct assessment. Really appreciate any response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Paging all posters on holidays in warmer climes......paging all posters in warmer climes......please fup off with your foreign weather updates and go and enjoy it instead of enjoying our misery:pac:

Ps it's a stunner of a day in Ireland today, proper summer weather and ye are missing it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

sideswipe wrote: »
    Paging all posters on holidays in warmer climes......paging all posters in warmer climes......please fup off with your foreign weather updates and go and enjoy it instead of enjoying our misery:pac:

Ps it's a stunner of a day in Ireland today, proper summer weather and ye are missing it:D

When I went last year it was hotter in Ireland for the 2 weeks I was away
    So I’ll enjoy yere misery this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain. Again. Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Signs weather might get better end this week into last week of June...it would want to because we only have July left then its August...which usually has autumn like weather come early:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This week should be an improving situation with dryer and milder conditions compared to the past few weeks, but nothing too warm, temperatures this week generally in the 15 to 18C range, a few spots could hit 19C or even 20C during spells of decent sunshine. Next weekend looks best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Top 5 coolest first halves to June on record (in terms of mean temperature) using the IMT.

1. 1972; 10.3c
    2. 1987; 10.6c
    3. 1991; 11.1c
    4. 1977; 11.2c
    5. 2015; 11.3c

2019 is running at 11.18c up to the 14th which is slightly under 1977.

*First half consists of the dates June 1st to 15th.

Data from Met Éireann.

Finished at a mean temperature of 11.14c making it the fourth coldest first half of June on record in Ireland back to 1967 using the IMT. Only 1972, 1987 and 1991 were colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gonzo wrote: »
    This week should be an improving situation with dryer and milder conditions compared to the past few weeks, but nothing too warm, temperatures this week generally in the 15 to 18C range, a few spots could hit 19C or even 20C during spells of decent sunshine. Next weekend looks best.

All I can see is cloudy and 15/16c this weekend for Dublin on forecasts online?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

All I can see is cloudy and 15/16c this weekend for Dublin on forecasts online?

1). Automated forecasts won't have accuracy.

2). More to Ireland than Dublin, the east coast may be coolest, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Finished at a mean temperature of 11.14c making it the fourth coldest first half of June on record in Ireland back to 1967 using the IMT. Only 1972, 1987 and 1991 were colder.

Sryan. What is IMT. What does the I stand for. Something mean temperature.

eon1208 wrote: »
    Sryan. What is IMT. What does the I stand for. Something mean temperature.

Irish Mean Temperature, MT uses it for his forecast contests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Shannon Airport made to 18.8°c max yesterday Sunday 16. Is this the max temperature for Ireland this month so far?

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Shannon Airport made to 18.8°c max yesterday Sunday 16. Is this the max temperature for Ireland this month so far?

20c at Phoenix Park and Newport.
    Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Table showing stats for rainfall, max and min temps for June so far at all of the reporting Met Eireann stations.

Hk2MhVA.png

Only Newport and Phoenix Park have manage to scrape a 20c so far, which is odd, considering both stations are on complete opposite ends of the country. Mean max temps are clearly running lower than normal, and averaged out on a nationwide scale, only come in at 14.7c, with is almost 2.0c below normal for the period (L.T.A is about 16.6c), and overall, is the coolest mean max for the first 2 weeks in June since 1987. Very wet also in most places, with Markee Castle and Ballyhaise in particular really up there.

Data from Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Troubling signals (for North European heat lovers) for the start of July from this morning's ECMWF ensemble run:

animation.gif

But tis' only one run..

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Nudging 18c in Arklow
    Strong SW breeze and some Sun
    Major improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

12.8C in Castlebar, overcast with sporadic rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Warmest day in weeks here with temps close to 18. Just as warm as it would be during a spell of anticyclonic weather due to the absence of a sea breeze. Outlook for the next few weeks still pretty meh in my opinion but definitely drier in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

That's more like it. I had a high of 19.4C today which is the highest of the month so far. It's fairly sunny and breezy. It's currently 18.4C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Felt a bit more seasonal today was wearing short sleeves for the first time in a while today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Temperature finally breached the 20c barrier first time this month. Warm with some overcast spells this morning then bright sunny afternoon.

It has been one of the longest -NAO periods on record back to 1950 using CPC data with 53 days of -NAO up to June 16th and the longest such period since Summer 2012. Summer 2011 had the longest -NAO period on record with 68 -NAO days (a big reason why Summer 2011 was very cool and the coolest of the 21st century so far). Also important to note that Dec 2009/Jan 2010, Feb/Mar 2010 and Nov 2010-Jan 2011 fall in the top 10 record long -NAO periods according to the below figure.

Kd1T9tA.jpg

Figure: Mika Rantanen.

Clearly the weather has been very different this June in Ireland to June 2018. Has the pattern been as much different as the weather? Yes, literally the polar opposite has happened (no pun intended). The two 500mb height anomalies below are of June 2018 and June 2019 (up to 14th) respectively.

In June 2018, there is a big area of above average heights parked right over Ireland with the North Atlantic jet stream way to the north bringing a very cool, wet and dull June to Iceland. Meanwhile, it was an exceptionally dry and warm month in Ireland.

In June 2019 so far, there has been extreme amounts of high latitude blocking (thus the -NAO). Equally, there's been a trough parked over Ireland (opposite to 2018) which has meant the cool and wet theme we've had.

nK8zgEv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Amazing how much warmer everything just feels today. Windows are still open in my home in Cork City and it just feels milder, sun is shining still too. Got up to about 18 degrees today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

At last a normal summer day. About 18 degrees and apart from few rain showers was mild. Could sit out this evening even though it was cloudy. Hope tomorrow stays nice aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lovely warm day in Dublin.. mini leagues with the young fella enjoyed under sunset and a warm breeze. Great.

Advertisement