Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Apology

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

deandean wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't like unreserved apologies 30+ years after the fact, by people who had nothing to do with it.
    They tend to cost me, the taxpayer, a lot of money.

Listening to her whining on Sean O'Rourke (RTE1 ) a few minutes ago, it appears that she wants everyone who was around in 1984 to grovel at her feet.

Evidently, she has decided that she is Ireland's national martyr - Macroom's very own Joan of Arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Mortelaro wrote: »
    To be fair sexual morality would have been expected in the Gardaí at the time and obviously scruples of the highest order in terms of who the members were and what they stood for

The fact that cancelling speeding fines and similar (the corruption you're referring to) was exposed and dealt with and officers exposing it and related issues vilified is irrelevant to this debate because at the time and up to today that was an acceptable norm in society (albeit the vilification in exposed)
    Having babies outside of wedlock or divorce was still frowned upon by the majority even if methods of dealing with it were swept under the carpet
    A certain amount of the blame for the problem has to be laid at the general population and in some cases all of it in my opinion

Also before the advent of police forces and large hospitals even large factories and the like, the only large organisations of people were army's so as police forces developed they adapted army discipline, discipline was seen as everything.

until less than 200 years ago: The vast majority of people never moved from their village or far from their family thier whole lives so larges groups of people working together free from the constraints of their family would need military disiplin as they might go mad and get up to all sorts otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Yurt! wrote: »

The instinct in Ireland (particularly in the public sector and state agencies) is to protect the institution at all costs. Bullying, sexual harassment, corrupt behaviour - above all, sweep it under the carpet and protect the institution. And the conceit is that the higher up the totem pole you are the more you are the institution, and the interests of you as an individual and the organization are one and the same. Really, they're just saving their own skin.

The way this woman was treated was beyond appalling.

The dogs bark, the caravan moves on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Some of the posts though..seems a certain faction still think or wish we were back in that cruel horrible Ireland of old.

No empathy at all lads no?

Listening to her whining on Sean O'Rourke (RTE1 ) a few minutes ago, it appears that she wants everyone who was around in 1984 to grovel at her feet.

Evidently, she has decided that she is Ireland's national martyr - Macroom's very own Joan of Arc.

The compassion is strong with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Would not normaly say this but you are an odious indviduial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The dogs bark, the caravan moves on.

Such a curt aphorism might be appropriate if the culture of state institutions has radically changed. Evidence over the past couple of years suggests otherwise.

Your own posts would also lead people to believe that there are many in the country that don't give a hoot how people get treated, as long as evreything looks tickety-boo on the surface and pensions get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mariaalice wrote: »
    You are mixing up official Ireland and unofficial Ireland, I had no problem getting contraceptives in Ireland in the very early 1980s it was not an issue for the majority of people. Things were changing by then, an example from Limerick In 1975 Kemmy founded the Limerick Family Planning Clinic. At the time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kemmy. Having said that the very early1980s were probably the last gasb of a powerful Catholic church in Ireland.

Maybe for you maria but that certainly wasnt the case for everyone and condoms certainly were not "widely available" as Maryanne84 claimed. If they were they would have been on sale without questions, instead you had to find a sympathetic doctor (and not all of them were) and then you had to find a pharmacist who stocked them. That simply does not meet any definition of "widely available" as if they were bread and milk or something.

Lets not forget that 1984 was when the shameful Kerry babies case happened and it wasn't uncommon in that time for women to hide their pregnancies and have their baby in secret.

Disagree that the 1980's were the last gasp of the Churchs power, they won the 1983 abortion referendum and were just as powerful in that decade as any other. The last gasp of their power only happened last year when that result was overturned.
    Yurt! wrote: »
    Michael Noonan, quite rightly, being thrown under the bus here. As I said in the above post, protect the institution (re: the pension), fe*k the mission of the institution. Disgusting.

Only a spiteful person could chase a woman on her deathbed through the High Courts, it didnt bother Noonan in the slightest and he has never even apologised for it. Lowest of the low behaviour from Noonan and Fine Gael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Listened to her on the radio yet again there.

After spending her life in an industrial school as her father was unable to provide for his children as a single parent, you would assume she was aware of the challenges ahead.

This whole story is very odd. Is is part of the anti abortion agenda? Or anti Gardai?

She said this morning she was badly beaten while in the school by a nun, yet she isn't looking for an apology from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Some of the posts though..seems a certain faction still think or wish we were back in that cruel horrible Ireland of old.

Hey she knew the rules. she chose her play and she cant complain because she didnt like how it turned out.

She have several different options and she chose her own path career first and screw the child. She could have had her cake and ate it by marrying the guy, repeating the year and still having her career.

Before anyone one says "she didnt want to marry him". If he was good enough to be let into the sack he was good enough for the marriage bed. Get over it.

• Advertisement

riemann wrote: »
    Listened to her on the radio yet again there.

After spending her life in an industrial school as her father was unable to provide for his children as a single parent, you would assume she was aware of the challenges ahead.

This whole story is very odd. Is is part of the anti abortion agenda? Or anti Gardai?

She said this morning she was badly beaten while in the school by a nun, yet she isn't looking for an apology from them?

There isn’t one person alive or dead in this country that came through under nuns or Christian brothers, that wasn’t hit or beaten regularly.
    Her story isn’t about that. It’s far more serious.

Hey she knew the rules. she chose her play and she cant complain because she didnt like how it turned out.

She have several different options and she chose her own path career first and screw the child. She could have had her cake and ate it by marrying the guy, repeating the year and still having her career.

Before anyone one says "she didnt want to marry him". If he was good enough to be let into the sack he was good enough for the marriage bed. Get over it.

You clearly didn’t listen to the doc or the interview.
    She was forced to give up the baby and hassled and threatened by higher ups for years after the event in the job.

But by all means continue with the uninformed nonsense

Skooterblue2.

You’re not a bike cop by any chance are you? :)

Skooterblue2.

You’re not a bike cop by any chance are you? :)

Nope sorry. the joke is lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Keeping yourself pure for the wedding night, are you?

You clearly didn’t listen to the doc or the interview.
    She was forced to give up the baby and hassled and threatened by higher ups for years after the event in the job.

But by all means continue with the uninformed nonsense

I haven't seen nor heard it as I neither watch or listen to RTE Radio or TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Sorry, but I'm not a remedial teacher. Ask an adult.

Are you a remedial student maybe? I'm not asking for the mechanism of the act. I'm asking how you attribute all responsibility to her.

So you’re talking out of your behind. You haven’t heard either and you feel confident enough to make a stupid completely uninformed post about it.

Riiiight

Sardonicat wrote: »

Getting married in September thank you. Mrs Skooter to be would love a new SMEG fridge if you are buying. We dont have any secrets or wild oats. It makes life so much easier.

There will be romance, passion fun aboard our cruise ship in the Caribbean, if we get blessed with mini skooters then everything will be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Worth noting that the same people who'll trot out that she could to what she wanted would be of the opinion that if yer man was willing to give her a seeing to then he should have no choice but to put his hand up for any fruit of their union :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Mrsmum wrote: »
    So her choices were

1) get married and keep child, would she still be able to keep career ?
    2) keep child and leave job
    3) keep job

Aren't they the same choices endless women made, why is this so different ?

I think the whole point is that she shouldn't have been forced to make such a choice.

Ireland was a really a backwards place. I'm surprised that this happened in the 80's. I thought we were a little more enlightened by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

About time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So you havent even listened to the documentary yet from the alter of your own ignorance you make judgements on others, well done on that

Now you're sounding like a 1950s priest

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think the whole point is that she shouldn't have been forced to make such a choice.

Ireland was a really a backwards place. I'm surprised that this happened in the 80's. I thought we were a little more enlightened by then.

She was in state service, I would have booted her out for not being fit for training and bringing the force into disrepute. She knew the regulations.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So you havent even listened to the documentary yet from the alter of your own ignorance you make judgements on others, well done on that

Now you're sounding like a 1950s priest

I have the facts from here. She broke regulations and she is choosing to complain about them now.

So you want me to be a 1950's style Priest? If that is your fantasy its not mine but carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

There isn’t one person alive or dead in this country that came through under nuns or Christian brothers, that wasn’t hit or beaten regularly.
    Her story isn’t about that. It’s far more serious.

Well I did for one. You'll find the majority of us taught in religious institutions did quite well. Unfortunately there was a number of unpleasant individuals who did untold harm, thankfully this was not the case for the majority.

So her choices were

1) get married and keep child, would she still be able to keep career ?
    2) keep child and leave job
    3) keep job

Aren't they the same choices endless women made, why is this so different ?
    How about not being charged with pre-marital sex and having a child out of wedlock? How about not being questioned about her private and past sex life at a hearing made up of men? How about not questioning her contraceptive methods now? How about not blaming her for being punished for having a normal, adult life and getting pregnant in her 20s?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

elperello wrote: »
    There is a lot of conflation of the public and private lives of state employees in this thread.
    All citizens have a right to their private morality apart from their duty to the state.
    They don't mix well now and didn't in the past either.

You are so right that they don't mix but it's just a fact they were totally entwined back then. A cousin of mine is a teacher in a small country school and she has two kids with a boyfriend. No one bats an eyelid (or if they do they keep it to themselves.) In the 80s she would have been out on her ear. Judging those times from where we are now would be like dropping a modern person back them. You can't mix the two imo.

While I agree that those were different times I can’t agree that by1984 things hadn’t changed immensely. Lots of girls were keeping their children and raising them singlehanded or with a partner , without marrying.

I lived with my boyfriend from the mid 70s, quite openly and we had a baby in 1979. I worked in a very public-facing role in a local authority and my circumstances were never an issue. After the birth I returned to work 8 weeks later and life continued as normal.
    People were very accepting and it was certainly possible to have a career and a child, without being married!

We had as free a life as we wanted, the Church had no say or interference in it. Happiest years of our life really!

Sardonicat wrote: »

Getting married in September thank you. Mrs Skooter to be would love a new SMEG fridge if you are buying. We dont have any secrets or wild oats. It makes life so much easier.

There will be romance, passion fun aboard our cruise ship in the Caribbean, if we get blessed with mini skooters then everything will be perfect.
    I'd commiserate with Mrs Skooter to be if I thought for one second she was actually real.

• Advertisement

Something that hasn’t been mentioned but women in the civil service had to resign when they got married.
    That only changed in the 90s right?
    So the institutional hardcore bias against women wasn’t just in the Gardaí. It was state policy.

Advertisement