Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Capel Street buses

• 11-06-2019 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭

Have buses ever run down Capel Street? It’s a street with great potential in the city but ruined by the tiny footpaths, and it’s position is pretty central for any cross city bus route. Obviously Parliament Street being one way is an issue, but I’ve always wondered if it ever happened in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

They definitely used to run down part of it. Middle abbey street used to be the terminus for quite a few buses. They used to go middle abbey street, capel st, across the bridge and then down the quays to Heuston. I used to get the bus to maynooth from the city centre about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

In fact a lot of buses used to serve Capel Street back when Middle Abbey Street was a terminus

25/A, 26, 34/A, 37, 38A/B/C, 39/A/B/C, 66/A/B ,67/A, 70, 80 are the ones I can think of at the top of my head.

That changed once LUAS came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Qrt

coffeepls wrote: »
    They definitely used to run down part of it. Middle abbey street used to be the terminus for quite a few buses. They used to go middle abbey street, capel st, across the bridge and then down the quays to Heuston. I used to get the bus to maynooth from the city centre about 20 years ago.
    thomasj wrote: »
    In fact a lot of buses used to serve Capel Street back when Middle Abbey Street was a terminus

25/A, 26, 34/A, 37, 38A/B/C, 39/A/B/C, 66/A/B ,67/A, 70, 80 are the ones I can think of at the top of my head.

Interesting! So they came in via the quays, and not from the Dorset Street area? Also, where did the 34/a and the 80 come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

you forgot the 23/23A.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Qrt wrote: »
    Have buses ever run down Capel Street? It’s a street with great potential in the city but ruined by the tiny footpaths, and it’s position is pretty central for any cross city bus route. Obviously Parliament Street being one way is an issue, but I’ve always wondered if it ever happened in the past.

Capel St and Parliament St are both one way in the same direction. What's the issue? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

It is also one of the prime routes for commercial traffic to exit the Henry St area and cross the river and is a commercial destination in its own right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Qrt

Capel St and Parliament St are both one way in the same direction. What's the issue? :confused:

Oh yeah I actually forgot about the first part!:pac:

I guess it would be a bit narrow for two way bus traffic? I started thinking about this because of the O'Connell Street closure.

ITV2 wrote: »
    you forgot the 23/23A.

Oh yeah I did , good spot!

Interesting! So they came in via the quays, and not from the Dorset Street area? Also, where did the 34/a and the 80 come from?

I think capel street used to have a bus lane at the far right during those days?

The 34/a used to run from middle Abbey street to finglas,

It would run from middle Abbey street via Capel Street bridge, quays , church street , phibsboro and onwards. (Actually the 38a, 38b and 38c went that way up until cityswift came in on the 39 and then they switched to lower Abbey street via O'Connell street)

If memory serves me correctly
    It became the 134 imp service and it was later merged with the 83 to become today's 83 route.

The 80 ran to luttrelstown via clonsilla if memory serves me correct.

Actually

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0309/773586-one-man-double-decker-buses/

You see Capel street then crossing the bridge at 00:10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The Crumlin/Tallaght buses used to depart from Middle Abbey Street, using Capel Street and Parliament Street to reach Lord Edward Street. They moved to Eden Quay around 1990 or so.

The Crumlin/Tallaght buses used to depart from Middle Abbey Street, using Capel Street and Parliament Street to reach Lord Edward Street. They moved to Eden Quay around 1990 or so.

You mean Aston Quay? They didn't move to Eden Quay until 1994 or 1995. I think it was around the time the 51b became a cityswift route .

Was it that the Middle Abbey street and Aston Quay routes did a direct switch when the direction of traffic flows on the Quays changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

The Tallaght routes (with the exception of the 54) started at Crampton Quay and Wellington Quay before they moved to Eden Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I guess it would be a bit narrow for two way bus traffic? I started thinking about this because of the O'Connell Street closure.

I think Gardiner Street will provide a good alternative to O'Connell Street if BusConnects happens. Currently, I think there's only the 41 & 41C running north and nothing running south.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I remember when 23 when it was a single deck green bus. Always felt it was much faster than double decker.

When 23 became 24 still went that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

john boye wrote: »
    The Tallaght routes (with the exception of the 54) started at Crampton Quay and Wellington Quay before they moved to Eden Quay.

I’m going to sound old now. But the Tallaght buses - well - the Tallaght bus that I knew when I was too young to go to town on my own in the early 70s, went from Bachelors Walk... then as was pointed out in another post, the quays direction was changed and it’s terminus became Aston quay/crampton quay. I spent my teenage years getting the bus from Aston quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

AFAIK one of the College Green plaza plans was to run two way bus traffic only on Capel St and Parliament St as a main north/south artery. The businesses on Parliament St kicked up about it so not sure what the plan is now but we should be hearing a revised version from DCC soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You mean Aston Quay? They didn't move to Eden Quay until 1994 or 1995. I think it was around the time the 51b became a cityswift route .

Was it that the Middle Abbey street and Aston Quay routes did a direct switch when the direction of traffic flows on the Quays changed ?

Yeah sorry, they went to Aston Quay after Abbey Street. The move to Eden Quay would have come in for 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Capel street would make a lovely cycle corridor linking the south side via parliament st, heystesbury st and the north side by somehow linking to blessington st canal

Advertisement