Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bad fuel

• 12-06-2019 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭

Car has been in the garage 10 days and they just told me it was a bad fuel mix that's the cause of orange engine light it has had. What's my recourse here? Will the garage I fueled up in have any of it or am I just screwed ultimately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

You need more that your mechanic saying. Technically speaking, bad fuel don't cause engine light, but it will cause a condition that can trigger the engine light. And you need to know that condition (i.e. some sort of knock detected or misfire error) before blaming it on the fuel.

But if your mechanic is dead serious about it, it's worth going to the garage and have a chat.
    If it's a case of petrol in diesel it can be detected by the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Fairly unlikely to be bad fuel, but never say never. Too many garages put a fault down to "bad fuel" rather than conclusively find the issue.

What car, year, engine? Who is working on it and what are they looking to replace?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Cordell wrote: »
    You need more that your mechanic saying. Technically speaking, bad fuel don't cause engine light, but it will cause a condition that can trigger the engine light. And you need to know that condition (i.e. some sort of knock detected or misfire error) before blaming it on the fuel.

But if your mechanic is dead serious about it, it's worth going to the garage and have a chat.
    If it's a case of petrol in diesel it can be detected by the smell.
    Fairly unlikely to be bad fuel, but never say never. Too many garages put a fault down to "bad fuel" rather than conclusively find the issue.

What car, year, engine? Who is working on it and what are they looking to replace?

Engine light caused by oxygen sensor for emissions. They replaced it and the light came on again.

2019 Yaris Hybrid Petrol. Toyota garage has had it for 10 days. After first sensor replacement they gave it back to me and light was back on again at 25km.

So a new car under warranty. Did they replace it under warranty or asked you to pay? Did they provide you with a written diagnostics?

Obviously this is just speculation but it sounds terribly unlikely that that's caused from bad fuel. I thought you were going to say a ten year old Passat diesel or something.

Are they looking at fitting another o2 sensor now at your expense or what's the plan? No chance i'd be going along with that based on what you've said anyway, tbh.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    So a new car under warranty. Did they replace it under warranty or asked you to pay? Did they provide you with a written diagnostics?

They replaced the sensor twice, just rang me to say they reckon it's bad fuel and they have to now check how much I'll have to pay given it's not covered by warranty. No written diagnostics yet, planning to ask for it.
    Obviously this is just speculation but it sounds terribly unlikely that that's caused from bad fuel. I thought you were going to say a ten year old Passat diesel or something.

Are they looking at fitting another o2 sensor now at your expense or what's the plan? No chance i'd be going along with that based on what you've said anyway, tbh.

They've fit 2 at this stage and they keep flagging up for them apparently, now determining if I'll have to pay.

It wasn't my usual petrol station and the light did come on about 25km after refueling at the garage from an empty tank.

Bad fuel can void your engine warranty (and other components like the exhaust) so I'll be very careful in accepting such a diagnostic without proper paperwork including fuel analysis.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Completely agree with others, I was expecting you to say this was a 10 year old car with plenty of miles, not something brand new. The excuse of 'bad fuel' is 99.9% of the time nonsense to be honest.

They should be able to read exactly what the o2 sensors are reading and determine if they are faulty. Replacing them twice would lead you to believe that they are not faulty, or that there is something else wrong causing them to fail. More information required, and it sounds like a terrible customer experience from a dealer.

mp3guy wrote: »
    They've fit 2 at this stage and they keep flagging up for them apparently, now determining if I'll have to pay.

It wasn't my usual petrol station and the light did come on about 25km after refueling at the garage from an empty tank.

Don't rule out that it could be bad fuel, but it is highly unlikely. If you bought from a brand name, modern station, it's very unlikely. You should be able to get an initial impression from the look and smell of a sample.

The definition of stupidity here would be to fit a third o2 sensor it seems, so I definitely wouldn't be entertaining it at my cost, for now. Sounds like they need to do a little more troubleshooting, have they escalated this to the manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Until they have had the fuel analysed in a reputable lab and found to be contaminated, you have a problem with an unknown cause. When you try to fix problems like this without finding the root cause, success rates are low.

• Advertisement

Don't rule out that it could be bad fuel, but it is highly unlikely. If you bought from a brand name, modern station, it's very unlikely. You should be able to get an initial impression from the look and smell of a sample.

The definition of stupidity here would be to fit a third o2 sensor it seems, so I definitely wouldn't be entertaining it at my cost, for now. Sounds like they need to do a little more troubleshooting, have they escalated this to the manufacturer?

It was a brand name station with an independent name attached to it, on a very busy road in and out of a city.

They've been talking with "Toyota up in Dublin" about it the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

It was a brand name station with an independent name attached to it, on a very busy road in and out of a city.

They've been talking with "Toyota up in Dublin" about it the whole time.

I know you want to be careful about naming places as you're still in early stages but a brand name and independent name means nothing .

Could be anyone or anything.

But in regards to bad fuel, if it is (not saying it is or isn't) it is a possibility.

When I worked in a garage we had a few cars come in with fuel issues from the same brand of fuel company. To the point we were draining tanks , flushing etc. And using fuel from elsewhere and solving the issue.

Again I'm not saying this is your issue but it could be possible.

For reference what was your last car and did you fuel in same place and what issues did that car have ?

Also remembering co2 sensors are supposed to tell of issues regarding emissions etc and because this is a brand new hybrid, it's very possible it's doing its job here.

I know you want to be careful about naming places as you're still in early stages but a brand name and independent name means nothing .

Could be anyone or anything.

But in regards to bad fuel, if it is (not saying it is or isn't) it is a possibility.

When I worked in a garage we had a few cars come in with fuel issues from the same brand of fuel company. To the point we were draining tanks , flushing etc. And using fuel from elsewhere and solving the issue.

Again I'm not saying this is your issue but it could be possible.

For reference what was your last car and did you fuel in same place and what issues did that car have ?

Also remembering co2 sensors are supposed to tell of issues regarding emissions etc and because this is a brand new hybrid, it's very possible it's doing its job here.

Never fueled at this particular station before, was just opportune.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fuel needs to be tested and then get another sample from the garage ASAP hopefully before they refill tanks.

If it is bad fuel there will be more punters in trouble so you need to see can you contact any.

Bad fuel won’t just affect one car.

_Brian wrote: »
    Fuel needs to be tested and then get another sample from the garage ASAP hopefully before they refill tanks.

If it is bad fuel there will be more punters in trouble so you need to see can you contact any.

Bad fuel won’t just affect one car.

It's almost two weeks since I fueled up there, any point going by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

So this is a new car and they are already at the blame someone else/it's not covered by warranty/you're going to have to pay for our repairs stage.

Bad fuel is a top bullsh*t excuse for this sort of nonsense, I would require an independent lab analysis before even entertaining any claim for them not to be covering all costs of repairing this car.

If as they claim it was bad fuel I assume they drained the tank, cleaned out the fuel lines and refilled with top quality Toyota Dealer Fuel then?

Vic_08 wrote: »
    So this is a new car and they are already at the blame someone else/it's not covered by warranty/you're going to have to pay for our repairs stage.

Bad fuel is a top bullsh*t excuse for this sort of nonsense, I would require an independent lab analysis before even entertaining any claim for them not to be covering all costs of repairing this car.

If as they claim it was bad fuel I assume they drained the tank, cleaned out the fuel lines and refilled with top quality Toyota Dealer Fuel then?

I'm not sure if they have already drained it, they called me half an hour before the garage closes to tell me their diagnosis. Not sure what I should do if I ring tomorrow and that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

Happened to my father recently. There was construction work going on adjacent to the underground fuel tanks. Water had been leaking in to them. Large number of vehicles effected. Just by pure luck he happened to keep the fuel receipt from the day he bought it otherwise your man was having none of it. I doubt you'll be the only one if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's almost two weeks since I fueled up there, any point going by now?

Go back and buy a few litres in a container, and then tell the owner of the petrol station of your experience.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I have seen a ford garage try this before with a neighbor of mine, 2 month old car was in work shop for two weeks and they couldn’t find the fault and suddenly it was bad fuel and said warranty would not cover it and he would have to chase the petrol station for the cost.
    He contacted garage owner and explained what ford had said and they were having none of it and said of the 200+ customers that day not one had complained but he did offer to get the fuel independently tested to be 100% and told him to get a sample from his car and to get it tested.
    Conveniently the ford dealership said they had drained so the called dodgy fuel..forecourt made contact with ford ireland and sent them lab reports and solicitors letter.
    In the end ford had no choice but to fix the issue which they couldn’t so neighbors got a replacement car.

Of course the possibility is there that the fuel was the issue but it’s definitely unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Unless the garage has a lab report, which can be verified by an independent lab of your choosing, I wouldnt accept that answer.
    May as well say aliens did it!

If they stand behind saying it is bad fuel, they have to provide the proof. If the proof exists, its then up to the petrol station to pay for the costs. If no proof exists, then it is still with the garage for blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I remember a friend of mine bought a brand new car and after a couple of months I asked how it was going, she listed off all the problems she had and how many times it had been back to the garage since she bought it, every time they gave her a great replacement car on loan until they eventually replaced the car she bought with another new one.

The explanation and apology she got was she got a "Monday morning car".

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Alright here's the update. I spoke to the mechanic working on the car this morning and he said it is indeed bad fuel. They took a sample of the fuel out and burned it, it was smoking a bit when burning and left a greasy oily residue.

The drained the lines, cleaned the tank, put a full tank of new petrol in, drove the car 60km and had no issues.

I asked for a sample to lab test and they said no problem, they always keep samples and I can pick one up with the car. They also said they'll provide a written diagnostics stating that the fuel was contaminated.

They said they've 7 hours labor on the car already but will only be charging me for 3.5 as the work won't be covered under warranty.

So, is it bad fuel? Either they're lying and will give me a made up bad sample or it was truly bad and I go after the petrol station now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So, is it bad fuel?

Nobody here can answer that.

I can tell you that it is certainly possible that the fuel was bad, I've seen a lot of bad fuel in my time (though our customers are slightly different and many have their own fuel tanks).

If they are giving you a sample and a lot of paperwork stating it was bad fuel then I imagine they are confident that there was an issue there, simply because if the fault reoccurs in the next few weeks despite good fuel in the vehicle, they know it will be straight back on their shoulders as a misdiagnosis.

I know if there was a fault happening every 25km, that if bad fuel would cause that fault, and that when they flushed the system that the fault stopped happening, then occams razor would say that it was actually bad fuel.

You have a sample, and not many garages keep bad fuel with a specific problem in jars just for the chance to screw over a customer. Get it tested if you don't believe them, but I would put some miles on the car before doing any thing else, see if that fault reoccurs again or not.

Nobody here can answer that.

I can tell you that it is certainly possible that the fuel was bad, I've seen a lot of bad fuel in my time (though our customers are slightly different and many have their own fuel tanks).

If they are giving you a sample and a lot of paperwork stating it was bad fuel then I imagine they are confident that there was an issue there, simply because if the fault reoccurs in the next few weeks despite good fuel in the vehicle, they know it will be straight back on their shoulders as a misdiagnosis.

I know if there was a fault happening every 25km, that if bad fuel would cause that fault, and that when they flushed the system that the fault stopped happening, then occams razor would say that it was actually bad fuel.

You have a sample, and not many garages keep bad fuel with a specific problem in jars just for the chance to screw over a customer. Get it tested if you don't believe them, but I would put some miles on the car before doing any thing else, see if that fault reoccurs again or not.

Mostly a rhetorical question admittedly. In terms of evidence the fuel is from the petrol station in question, I only have the visa debit transaction line on my bank statement. I might have dashcam footage of myself driving into the station to fuel up too, if it hasn't been written over at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Well if it truly is bad fuel the petrol station must be inundated given how many filled up.

Good luck. Hopefully manager is honest if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

pippip wrote: »
    Well if it truly is bad fuel the petrol station must be inundated given how many filled up.

Good luck. Hopefully manager is honest if this is the case.
    This , you won’t be the only one if it was bad fuel . Probably dozens of cars affected if in fact it was the fuel. Contact the forecourt now and explain what has happened and ask if they had an issue the day you filled up. I still would not be 100% confident the fuel the mechanic gives you is from your car, very easy for them to contaminate a sample and give it to you.

harr wrote: »
    I still would not be 100% confident the fuel the mechanic gives you is from your car, very easy for them to contaminate a sample and give it to you.

What do they do when the fault reoccurs?

What do they do when the fault reoccurs?

*Hypothetically* make the excuse I put bad fuel in once and it caused damage?

• Advertisement

*Hypothetically* make the excuse I put bad fuel in once and it caused damage?

Absolutely. Bad fuel can cause ongoing issues with fuel systems.

But what is the suggestion here? That the fuel was fine but that the garage is trying to scam money out of the customer?

If they haven't fixed the fault and are just saying it was fuel anyway, then the fault will just keep happening and they know it will be a serious argument with the customer down the line. They will know their paperwork will be going back to the fuel supplier in the first place, and they know if the car is brought elsewhere and fixed properly then they will be shown up. That has solicitor written all over it and so just wouldn't be worth it if it were my garage.

Is it that they have fixed the fault, have claimed that aspect from warranty but also want to make a bit on the side from the customer by claiming fuel contamination? Its possible, just unlikely because who needs that bloody hassle, I'm a long time in this trade and for various reasons I wouldn't see it done.

Or is it that the fuel was bad, caused a few faults, that flushing the system has done the trick and they are confident enough to give samples and put their name to a report on the repair?

Advertisement