Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firm of solicitors wont talk to me

• 04-06-2019 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭

I think this is just how the "old boys network" works but I am not sure, could someone with more knowledge confirm.

I found some land I was interested in, an abandoned plot, and I did a land registry search for the folio number, it came back and the contact was a firm of solicitors in /Mod deletion/. I emailed the solicitors to enquire if they were the correct contact for the folio and if it was for sale. My thinking was if it was I would submit an offer though a solicitor. 2 months went by so I chased again and also checked the company website to confirm the address. After another 5 weeks, I used the contact form on the website, still no reply. I dont have a land line, and I have no mobile reception at home so wanted to keep everything by email.

Am I being naive thinking that a solicitor will email me back ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

"I dont have a land line, and I have no mobile reception at home so wanted to keep everything by email."

The most bizarre element of a rather peculiar OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Just call them...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

"I dont have a land line, and I have no mobile reception at home so wanted to keep everything by email."

The most bizarre element of a rather peculiar OP.

I live up a mountain in Kerry, basically off grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I think this is just how the "old boys network" works but I am not sure, could someone with more knowledge confirm.

I found some land I was interested in, an abandoned plot, and I did a land registry search for the folio number, it came back and the contact was a firm of solicitors in Tralee. I emailed the solicitors to enquire if they were the correct contact for the folio and if it was for sale. My thinking was if it was I would submit an offer though a solicitor. 2 months went by so I chased again and also checked the company website to confirm the address. After another 5 weeks, I used the contact form on the website, still no reply. I dont have a land line, and I have no mobile reception at home so wanted to keep everything by email.

The land is probably not for sale,if it was i presume a local auctioneer would have it advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

So you have internet, but no phone?

Call them on Viber?

• Advertisement

So you have internet, but no phone?

Call them on Viber?

Most people in this area get internet by long range wireless, so no landline.

Yes I will call them, but my question is am I stupid to expect a reply to my email from a solicitor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

After another 5 weeks, I used the contact form on the website, still no reply. I dont have a land line, and I have no mobile reception at home so wanted to keep everything by email.
    Soooo.... you have no way of being contacted by voice, and are surprised no-one has contacted you? Perhaps put a professional voicemail message on your phone, and check it every so often?

Finally, they may not want to put anything in writing about it if there's any issues with the land.
    I found some land I was interested in, an abandoned plot, and I did a land registry search for the folio number, it came back and the contact was a firm of solicitors in Tralee.
    Also, consider that the person who owns the land is in a home, and the land is tied to a will.

The land is probably not for sale,if it was i presume a local auctioneer would have it advertised.

I think originally it was going to be built on, but then someone else built a house in front of the plot. Since that no one has seen any activity on the land (other than local farmer putting donkeys in there, I asked him as well.

I will call the firm, I just found the lack of reply strange/unprofessional .

the_syco wrote: »
    Soooo.... you have no way of being contacted by voice, and are surprised no-one has contacted you? Perhaps put a professional voicemail message on your phone, and check it every so often?

Finally, they may not want to put anything in writing about it if there's any issues with the land.

Also, consider that the person who owns the land is in a home, and the land is tied to a will.

Yes my question is less about the land, more about the lack of a reply. I wondered if it was normal for a solicitor not to reply to queries if there was no money in it for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

This is not strange at all. Even when I was paying thousands to a firm of solicitors it could be difficult to get them to contact me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I live up a mountain in Kerry, basically off grid.

The internet is hardly very off grid.

The internet is hardly very off grid.

I wonder how all the YT videos off off grid life get posted then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I will call the firm .

How will you manage that with neither a landline nor mobile reception??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Skype.

Or go to a place with a phone.

Sake, half the people in the world have a phone in their pocket. You can't get one if them to give you a lend or make a call on your behalf?

How will you manage that with neither a landline nor mobile reception??

We will drive to the village, get a pint, sit outside the pub and call from my mobile. If they are busy, I will have to just keep trying/get another pint, or try another day. It would be a lot easier for me by email as I only go to the village a couple of times a week..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Location of solicitors deleted.
    Is this going to lead to any legal discussion?

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    Location of solicitors deleted.
    Is this going to lead to any legal discussion?

OK, sorry about the location as it is such a big place I didn't think it important.

My question is essentially is it normal practice for solicitors not to reply to a genuine query like this if they are not going to make any fees, something I would think is unprofessional ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Their client may have instructed them not to reply. Or they may be without any instructions. They have no more obligation to correspond with you than the actual owner would, if you wrote to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

How did you determine the plot was abandoned? most plots of land look the same and if a donkey has access it cannot be abandoned.

Re contacting the solicitor why dont you slip a note under his/her door and if that fails contact one of the many Healy-Raes,they seem to have the ability to solve all the problems in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Some solicitors won't even answer to their own clients....
    Why not pay them a visit instead? Or when you manage to call, book an appointment as it's unlikely they will deal with you over the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How did you determine the plot was abandoned? most plots of land look the same and if a donkey has access it cannot be abandoned.
    Mere grazing of animals is no indicator of ownership or lack thereof. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/the-onus-of-proof-lies-on-the-plaintiff-to-establish-adverse-possession-with-the-requisite-intent-1.974835

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My question is essentially is it normal practice for solicitors not to reply to a genuine query like this ................

Lots of companies have a website which include a 'Contact' section where you can fill in a form or they show an addres for general queries like info at markby dot ie but nobody ever checks that e-mail address. The developer who designed their website will have told them that it's standard practice to include that and they will have agreed but it's just window dressing.

Nothing strange about the lack of a response and it probably has nothing to do with the fact that they are in the legal profession, it has happened me with several large companies where nobody responds.

You mentioned driving to the village and callling them from a mobile, it's highly unlikely that someone will deal with you on that type of query. The person who answers the phone will put you on hold, ask around the office if anyone wans to talk to you but everyone will run for cover and then s/he'll tell you that 'everyone is busy'. You'd be much better off writing them a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

They're not an estate agent. So far they are just a random company. When you contact them, agree fees and sign a contract for them to undertake work for you at a fee then they will probably answer you. Atm you are all expectations and not a client.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've encountered many companies that don't bother checking their email, largely due to a huge backlog of emails.

Some places even have emails go directly into their Junk unless it originates from a specific address.

Looks like phoning will be only option here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Most people in this area get internet by long range wireless, so no landline.

Yes I will call them, but my question is am I stupid to expect a reply to my email from a solicitor ?

Yes unfortunately. Solicitor or hair dresser are the same - despite having email addresses nobody ever responds.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

I think originally it was going to be built on, but then someone else built a house in front of the plot. Since that no one has seen any activity on the land (other than local farmer putting donkeys in there, I asked him as well.

And what did the donkey say?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

I found some land I was interested in, an abandoned plot, and I did a land registry search for the folio number, it came back and the contact was a firm of solicitors in /Mod deletion/. I emailed the solicitors to enquire if they were the correct contact for the folio and if it was for sale. My thinking was if it was I would submit an offer though a solicitor. 2 months went by so I chased again and also checked the company website to confirm the address. After another 5 weeks, I used the contact form on the website, still no reply. I dont have a land line, and I have no mobile reception at home so wanted to keep everything by email.

So you emailed solicitors about land they own to see if the want to sell it.

They probably just added your email to their spam list and put it on ignore.

Too many scams these days to take many emails seriously.

Your best giving them a phone call and then calling into them in person to show your serious and a genuinely interested person.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

The solicitor who registers land is on the folio but they ahve no obligation or responsibility because of it.

They can't pass you on to the owner as that could be a data breach now or they are incapable.

The main point is that they arent auctioneers, this isn't a solicitors job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Send them a letter in the post

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Op is a waffle fest. Looking for trouble.

Wants to buy land but doesn't have a phone ?

Please stop answering this nonsense.

Op - it is definitely an old boy thing btw, contact your local TD and let them know. Oh sorry, how are you going to get in touch ?

Mod
    IAAM, pls be nice here. It seems poster relies on email which seems reasonable

Advertisement