Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Copyright question

Options
  • 20-05-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

A business has been set up in France with a registered name in English ;
    French Wine School
    This business did not realise that an existing business in France with the registered name ;
    École du Vin de France
    This business never trades under the English translation. It’s website is translated and even then it uses the French name.

Is this breaking copyright law ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Leaving open for discussion subject to forum rule on legal advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It might be a breach of trademark law, but not copyright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

It might be a breach of trademark law, but not copyright.

Oh, sorry, I probably should have said trademark law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They are different marks, and have different meanings when translated into the same language; so no IP law issue

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

While the names may be different, is there a risk of passing-off?
    French Wine School
    École du Vin de France
    Is this a French exam or a law exam?

French Wine School Ecole du vin français
    French Wine Vin français
    Wine School École du vin
    French School École française

École du Vin de France Wine School of France
    École du Vin Wine School
    Vin de France French wine
    École de France School of France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, it looks very much like passing-off. Or would, if the conduct complained of took place in Ireland.

I have no idea what French law has to say about passing off-like behaviour, or how it deals with it. But I'd be surprised if there wasn't some issue here that needed to be addressed. No offence to the assembled luminaries, but boards.ie may not be the best source of informed commentary about the IP law of France.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No actionable case here.

They are not operating in the same territory.

Theres no risk of confusion.

Trademark law has an exemption for persons with an established local trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

No actionable case here.

They are not operating in the same territory.

Theres no risk of confusion.

Trademark law has an exemption for persons with an established local trade.
    According to the OP both businesses are in France.

Victor wrote: »
    While the names may be different, is there a risk of passing-off?

Is this a French exam or a law exam?

French Wine School Ecole du vin français
    French Wine Vin français
    Wine School École du vin
    French School École française

École du Vin de France Wine School of France
    École du Vin Wine School
    Vin de France French wine
    École de France School of France

There is no French or law exam.
    Both schools are credited by a wine organisation in London.
    My question relates to the law and if a direct translation
    of a brand violates trademark law ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In the OP you talk about the names under which two businesses are registered.

Now you ask questions about trademarks.

Which is it? Has either of these businesses registered a trademark and, if so, exactly what trademark has been registered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I would think it is actionable under the rules of doing your own homework.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    In the OP you talk about the names under which two businesses are registered.

Now you ask questions about trademarks.

Which is it? Has either of these businesses registered a trademark and, if so, exactly what trademark has been registered?

Yes, sorry.
    The question is about a trademark.
    ‘École du vin de France’ is trademarked and my business is called The French Wine School

All my clients are English speaking so I never researched the name in the French language.
    There was no intent to copy.

Both business are in France.
    My question is, what’s your thoughts regarding breaking trademark law when using a translated name ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micky jammy delahunty

Yes, sorry.
    The question is about a trademark.
    ‘École du vin de France’ is trademarked and my business is called The French Wine School

There trademark appears to be in direct translation, The School of Wine, of France. Whereas yours is The French Wine School.....
    All my clients are English speaking so I never researched the name in the French language.
    There was no intent to copy.

You kind of should research these things. Legal and other costs are not things you'd need or like.
    Both business are in France.
    My question is, what’s your thoughts regarding breaking trademark law when using a translated name ?

It depends. A court might decide that assembling the words, school, French, wine, in any combination isn't a violation of a trademark, in the way you have University College Dublin, and Dublin College University.

But, I think you could be screwed because the translations look like this:

École du vin de France <- Theirs
    École du vin français <- Yours

The basic rule in these situations is, would a reasonable person confuse the two businesses. In English at a glance they look different, but at a glance in French they really do not. They're in France, same market, or least same market location, they look like they have a very rock solid case. Like you never get away with calling a French company Pomme Ordinateurs, even without Apple having to trade mark that formulation.

The general rule is something called the Spectrum of Distinctiveness
    http://gbr.pepperdine.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Spectrum-of-Distinctiveness-550x279.jpg

Académie du vin Français, you might be able to wing it, if no one is currently trading under it. (which will also come up higher in alphabetic listings)

Thanks for such a comprehensive response.
    I agree, looks like it’s my responsibility to fix it.

There trademark appears to be in direct translation, The School of Wine, of France. Whereas yours is The French Wine School.....

You kind of should research these things. Legal and other costs are not things you'd need or like.

It depends. A court might decide that assembling the words, school, French, wine, in any combination isn't a violation of a trademark, in the way you have University College Dublin, and Dublin College University.

But, I think you could be screwed because the translations look like this:

École du vin de France <- Theirs
    École du vin français <- Yours

The basic rule in these situations is, would a reasonable person confuse the two businesses. In English at a glance they look different, but at a glance in French they really do not. They're in France, same market, or least same market location, they look like they have a very rock solid case. Like you never get away with calling a French company Pomme Ordinateurs, even without Apple having to trade mark that formulation.

The general rule is something called the Spectrum of Distinctiveness
    http://gbr.pepperdine.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Spectrum-of-Distinctiveness-550x279.jpg

Académie du vin Français, you might be able to wing it, if no one is currently trading under it. (which will also come up higher in alphabetic listings)

Advertisement