Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

50k for 30 days

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Bumped into the two lads yesterday after reading this thread.

The lads themselves were not claiming anything, just that they will complete 50k each day as best they can.

There's obviously/presumably a few subtexts I'm missing but the thread reads very poorly for the uninitiated in the ways of the ultras.

Was the original post subtly slagging them or promoting them?
    Why the ridicule from regular posters?

It just doesn't read that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

So I see lots of comments and questions are being deleted from here as well as their Facebook page.
    I havent seen one shred of evidence that this is actually happening apart from a few photoshopped Garmin connect screenshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Any link to the facebook page on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Was up around there twice the other day saw no sign of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Terry 52

Are you sure of that? Did you look yourself? I’m not condoning using another persons number but this is wrong information. The finish time is 5th in the age group but don’t let that get in the way of you putting them down.
    No you are wrong on that.
    More a case of someone who should have won an Irish Championship medal checked out the pictures of people who beat her to discover an imposter.
    Imposter turns out to be (Quite) well known internet spoofer who regularly declares himself ‘ kingdom crusader’ ‘son of king’ ‘elite runner’ etc etc.

The guy is odious (In my opinion of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any link to the facebook page on this?

https://www.facebook.com/michaelandnoelsultramarathon/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I remember the days when running people got behind each other.

Terry 52 wrote: »
    Are you sure of that? Did you look yourself? I’m not condoning using another persons number but this is wrong information. The finish time is 5th in the age group but don’t let that get in the way of you putting them down.

Yes. The person he ran under was announced as bronze medalist in the AG as they were based on wave 1 gun times (people running out of wave 2 had a results 15 slower- that’s a poor system but a different argument.).

It has since been corrected in the AI results as it was reported. But Pauline’s time is still bizarrely in the DCM results.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes. The person he ran under was announced as bronze medalist in the AG as they were based on wave 1 gun times (people running out of wave 2 had a results 15 slower- that’s a poor system but a different argument.).

It has since been corrected in the AI results as it was reported. But Pauline’s time is still bizarrely in the DCM results.

This is regrettable, but entirely irrelevant to this thread.

Murph_D wrote: »
    This is regrettable, but entirely irrelevant to this thread.

Well I was asked about it by Terry52 so I answered. Is that ok with you?

• Advertisement

Someone just pointed out that it can't be Ireland biggest Ultra event every because (Armagh Man) Stevey McGeown actually ran 60 Utras in 60 days a few years ago (Longer Ultras btw- 70km+ each)

This reply is ridiculous:
    Thank you for the message
    And a massive achievement for Stephen
    But unfortunately
    Stephen completed his ultras in both Ireland & N.ireland
    And N. Ireland is under the ie United Kingdom
    As also Stephen is living in N.ireland Uk
    With that said
    This event and
    All 30 ultras will be completed in Ireland between Dublin & kerry
    And both our athletes area natives of Ireland
    That making them Irish athletes and the event been an Irish event
    That making it officially Ireland’s biggest ultra event ever
    But more importantly this isn’t a personal challenge for our athletes
    This event is about bringing awareness of autism

Thank you for your support and your message
    We will forward your regards
    And wishes
    To both athletes
    Kind regards
    Team ultra marathon.

If you would like to make a donation towards autism
    You can do so by clicking the link above

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Terry 52

Someone just pointed out that it can't be Ireland biggest Ultra event every because (Armagh Man) Stevey McGeown actually ran 60 Utras in 60 days a few years ago (Longer Ultras btw- 70km+ each)

This reply is ridiculous:

Norman, why is this bothering you so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Robbo hunter

Duanington wrote: »
    I bumped into them at the launch of this charity gig they're on ( it was a 5k run in the phoenix park)....couldn't meet 2 more humble fellas, there was very little bragging and certainly no declaration of them being elites ( by them anyway).
    Sound lads, raising a few quid

My wife ran the 5k and was following the two runners on FB,. There was no mention of how much was raised from the 5k race on the event page or on the 50k a day FB page.I assumed that they would post the amount raised on their FB as the page is quite active promoting the two lads themselves, a gardener and a bus driver. I asked the question on how much was raised on two occasions, on both occasions my question was promptly deleted. I then contacted the AsiAm charity directly and asked them. They confirmed that they received no funds from this event..Sound lads Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My wife ran the 5k and was following the two runners on FB,. There was no mention of how much was raised from the 5k race on the event page or on the 50k a day FB page.I assumed that they would post the amount raised on their FB as the page is quite active promoting the two lads themselves, a gardener and a bus driver. I asked the question on how much was raised on two occasions, on both occasions my question was promptly deleted. I then contacted the AsiAm charity directly and asked them. They confirmed that they received no funds from this event..Sound lads Indeed

Like all these events, I am sure the charity donation is after "costs" are deducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-48824181
    Not a patch on this lad, big future ahead of him.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Where's d charidee and is the fox a nice person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

I want marathoninvestigations to look into this, from what I've heard, her cadence data was consistent with someone riding a unicycle

Enduro wrote: »
    I can only hope that they are being misquoted in the article, and that they're not unbelievably deluded in reality (That kind of thing happens all too frequently)

Since this thread has been bumped I'll point out that this was absolutely not a misquote from a Journalist.
    In fact, to the contrary, the lads are pushing their new 'Running club' (not an official AI club, but a private 'fitness class' type club) with the promise that member will have access to 'Europe and Ireland's top elite Ultra runners (i.e. themselves).

Of course anyone who asks any questions has their post deleted and from what I've seen and heard, anyone with any questions often receive messages threatening violence. Lovely lads indeed.

I asked yesterday "how much was raised? " below is the response posted and now quickly deleted

"Hi 😊
    If you can private message the page your contact details
    Ie
    Phone number
    And email
    we will have a member contact you ASAP
    To briefly answer your questions
    Team ultra are continuing to work towards raising badly needed funds and bringing awareness of autism
    The journey was very successful
    thank you for your interest and support
    If you would like to join us on this journey your support will be very much appreciated
    Be sure to mention this when you speak with a team member

For any additional questions you may have
    Please forward a contact number and I will request a call for you ASAP from a member
    We respect your privacy and we ask you to respect our policy
    That been if an enquiry or question is asked we follow up with a message of contact through a phone call from a team member of ultra marathon
    Again we ask you to respect our policy.
    And look forward to speaking with you
    Regards"

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

In fact, to the contrary, the lads are pushing their new 'Running club' (not an official AI club, but a private 'fitness class' type club)

Given non affiliation to AAI or IMRA I would be questioning insurance moreso than the calibre of athlete and merits of "Elite" labels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

KSU wrote: »
    Given non affiliation to AAI or IMRA I would be questioning insurance moreso than the calibre of athlete and merits of "Elite" labels

I'd be guessing that coaching qualifications might be somewhat underwhelming as well. Which potentially just adds to the issue.

Yup, I'd say they have no idea about the financial disaster zone they are opening themselves up to if they are not properly insured.

normanoffside, Yeah I had spotted a while back that they were indeed promoting themselves as not just elites, but European level elites. No comment required.

I do wonder what they're hoping to achieve. Maybe it is a simple as money. But they've managed to build up an impressive list of people who, shall we say, hold them in less than high regard. So if its an ego thing it would have been harder to fail more spectacularly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

KSU wrote: »

My friend did actually ask this and about coaching quals and was asked to provide his phone number. When he refused to provide his number, they deleted his comment and blocked him from the page. Was actually generally interested in linking up with them but wants to run championship races so wants to be in AI affiliated club. Found the request for his phone number / them only willing to deal with queries that come in over facebook, over the phone a bit unsettling.

My friend did actually ask this and about coaching quals and was asked to provide his phone number. When he refused to provide his number, they deleted his comment and blocked him from the page. Was actually generally interested in linking up with them but wants to run championship races so wants to be in AI affiliated club. Found the request for his phone number / them only willing to deal with queries that come in over facebook, over the phone a bit unsettling.

Actually found some threarening voicemails on my FB account, and messages threatening me with legal action signed on behalf of the charity. Obvs have blocked, reported and spoken to a local garda,quite sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MuchoTrails

Looks like the drama continues with that Apollo lad.

Two lads left his club and set up group on Facebook called Dublin Trail Runners. He went and renamed one of his pages to same name and posted that they are affiliated. Lad is not right in the head.

Advertisement