Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My debit card was used fraudulently. Will I get the money back?

• 14-05-2019 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

My debit card was used fraudulently yesterday. I have lost over €2,500 as a result of this. Two large fraudulent payments are lingering in "Transactions in Progress". I reported this to BOI and they cancelled my card and are investigating, but the sum has actually been deducted from my account balance.

I am going on holiday for several months tomorrow and I would like some reassurance that this money will be returned to my account as soon as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Rhyso wrote: »
    My debit card was used fraudulently yesterday. I have lost over €2,500 as a result of this. Two large fraudulent payments are lingering in "Transactions in Progress". I reported this to BOI and they cancelled my card and are investigating, but the sum has actually been deducted from my account balance.

I am going on holiday for several months tomorrow and I would like some reassurance that this money will be returned to my account as soon as possible.

From a similar exp. It was returned, quite prompt as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Had several hundred taken by iTunes a while back too,got it all back.

Fair play and credit where it's due. BOI did well but they investigated for couple of days and refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Ditto. In my case BoI noticed it before I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ditto. In my case BoI noticed it before I did.

Same here.
    In middle of the night as well.

What I did then was to set up a 2nd online account, and keep only a few hundred in my no1 account,the one linked to my debit card. That way it limits what you could lose if a victim of fraud again.

Then I move money into it from the other account as I need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Rhyso wrote: »

Hi Rhyso,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We are really sorry to hear that you have been the victim of fraud on your account. Please be assured that once you have reported this to our Card Security Team this will be investigated thoroughly. Once this has been investigated our Fraud Team will be in touch with you.

Please feel free to get in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Rhyso

Hi Rhyso,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We are really sorry to hear that you have been the victim of fraud on your account. Please be assured that once you have reported this to our Card Security Team this will be investigated thoroughly. Once this has been investigated our Fraud Team will be in touch with you.

Please feel free to get in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen

I see one of the fraudulent transactions is still appearing on my account. Quite worried it won't be reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Rhyso,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us.

I completely understand your worry. If you’d like an update on the investigation you can contact our fraud team on 014885466.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Same here.
    In middle of the night as well.

What I did then was to set up a 2nd online account, and keep only a few hundred in my no1 account,the one linked to my debit card. That way it limits what you could lose if a victim of fraud again.

Then I move money into it from the other account as I need it.

Same here for the same reasons.
    Main account has no cards linked to it and just drop whats needed onto debit card account as and when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

this happened me too yesterday. not a big amount and its been sorted. boi even gave me the USA address it had been used, checked google streets and it looks like some dive bar in the middle of nowhere. it's weirded me out a bit how the feck it could have happened. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Hi Rhyso,

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us.

I completely understand your worry. If you’d like an update on the investigation you can contact our fraud team on 014885466.

Thanks,

Lorna
    Hi Lorna,

I must say I have had a truly demoralising experience trying to get BoI to address a fraudulent transaction of €7,070 from my account this month.

1. This money was taken from my account by a vendor on 08May, and was never flagged by the Fraud Dept. As a result, I was only made aware of this money which was removed from my account by checking my balance online on 15May. 

2. At this point, I contacted Card Services and dealt with an extremely unhelpful CS agent. I was asked if I was "sure that the money had been taken from my account". This was at the point where the agent had my account details open in front of her, so it would have been immediately obvious that the money had been debited, so I can only interpret this line of questioning as an attempt to get me to hang up and go away. When I was eventually transferred to some other department, I was disconnected. After ringing back, I managed to escalate this issue and start the process of disputing the transaction.

3. Which is where the fun begins! This process begins with a confirmation text, which directs me to google "Bank of Ireland Dispute Form", find the dispute form, print it out and fill it, then either fax it back (Fax?? In 2019?) or send by mail to the Fraud Dept. This is truly pathetic customer service in the year 2019, why not just send an email containing the requisite form and then provide an email address to send the response? Additionally, I was told that because the vendor had no contact information, I would not be required to provide proof of attempted resolution on my part.

4. After submitting the form, I heard nothing in response, despite having filled in the section of the form with my phone number (do you not already have this information?) which should have led to a text confirmation of the dispute case being opened. I received nothing.

5. Eventually on 20May, I was forced to contact CS again, at which point I was told that the case HAD been opened (though the Fraud Dept did not deign to contact me about this), and that I would need to provide additional proof - i.e. apparently a Google screenshot indicating that the vendor has no email, phone number, or other contact details. I was told that I would be receiving a letter by the end of the week with further details.

6. On 28May, I have still received not a single letter (other than my replacement debit card), so I was once again forced to contact CS. At this point I was told that letters had been sent out (I have not changed address in 8 years, and other BoI communications reaches here just fine), but I should submit my "proof" screenshot regardless. Again, there is no email address for the Fraud Dept so this will have to be done via the slow laborious method of the Irish postal system. The CS agent also told me on this call that dispute resolution could take 45 days, despite previous agents saying "up to 2 weeks"

7. At no point in any of these conversations was I allowed to speak to a representative from the Fraud Dept., despite asking repeatedly, and now I see from your post that you are happily giving out a contact phone number on Boards.ie? 

So, as far as I see it, every numbered paragraph I've posted highlights a fundamental failure of customer service, satisfaction and communication, not to mention an abrogation of responsibility on the part of BoI. As I have communicated to your agents it is completely ridiculous that I should be made to dance for almost a month, with no resolution, €7k still missing from my account (this could easily have been remunerated by BoI pending dispute resolution), with the burden of proof for a fraudulent transaction lying with the customer. Once this issue is resolved I will be highly unlikely to continue using BoI as my primary banking institution, despite 20 years of membership.

Any thoughts welcome,

Regards,
    Darragh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Lorna,

I must say I have had a truly demoralising experience trying to get BoI to address a fraudulent transaction of €7,070 from my account this month.

1. This money was taken from my account by a vendor on 08May, and was never flagged by the Fraud Dept. As a result, I was only made aware of this money which was removed from my account by checking my balance online on 15May. 

2. At this point, I contacted Card Services and dealt with an extremely unhelpful CS agent. I was asked if I was "sure that the money had been taken from my account". This was at the point where the agent had my account details open in front of her, so it would have been immediately obvious that the money had been debited, so I can only interpret this line of questioning as an attempt to get me to hang up and go away. When I was eventually transferred to some other department, I was disconnected. After ringing back, I managed to escalate this issue and start the process of disputing the transaction.

3. Which is where the fun begins! This process begins with a confirmation text, which directs me to google "Bank of Ireland Dispute Form", find the dispute form, print it out and fill it, then either fax it back (Fax?? In 2019?) or send by mail to the Fraud Dept. This is truly pathetic customer service in the year 2019, why not just send an email containing the requisite form and then provide an email address to send the response? Additionally, I was told that because the vendor had no contact information, I would not be required to provide proof of attempted resolution on my part.

4. After submitting the form, I heard nothing in response, despite having filled in the section of the form with my phone number (do you not already have this information?) which should have led to a text confirmation of the dispute case being opened. I received nothing.

5. Eventually on 20May, I was forced to contact CS again, at which point I was told that the case HAD been opened (though the Fraud Dept did not deign to contact me about this), and that I would need to provide additional proof - i.e. apparently a Google screenshot indicating that the vendor has no email, phone number, or other contact details. I was told that I would be receiving a letter by the end of the week with further details.

6. On 28May, I have still received not a single letter (other than my replacement debit card), so I was once again forced to contact CS. At this point I was told that letters had been sent out (I have not changed address in 8 years, and other BoI communications reaches here just fine), but I should submit my "proof" screenshot regardless. Again, there is no email address for the Fraud Dept so this will have to be done via the slow laborious method of the Irish postal system. The CS agent also told me on this call that dispute resolution could take 45 days, despite previous agents saying "up to 2 weeks"

7. At no point in any of these conversations was I allowed to speak to a representative from the Fraud Dept., despite asking repeatedly, and now I see from your post that you are happily giving out a contact phone number on Boards.ie? 

So, as far as I see it, every numbered paragraph I've posted highlights a fundamental failure of customer service, satisfaction and communication, not to mention an abrogation of responsibility on the part of BoI. As I have communicated to your agents it is completely ridiculous that I should be made to dance for almost a month, with no resolution, €7k still missing from my account (this could easily have been remunerated by BoI pending dispute resolution), with the burden of proof for a fraudulent transaction lying with the customer. Once this issue is resolved I will be highly unlikely to continue using BoI as my primary banking institution, despite 20 years of membership.

Any thoughts welcome,

Regards,
    Darragh

Hi Darragh,

Thanks for reaching out to us here.

Although it can take time to investigate, we fully understand it can be very worrying for you with such a large amount being taken from the account.

Lorna previously provided the number for Card Security who do take the action to cancel and re issue cards. The Team can talk to regarding the fraud investigation process and then the investigation is completed internally within the Fraud Team. Apologies, this was misleading in the previous post.

You have made some valid suggestions relating to the process and we'll certainly relay these back to the Team.

As each dispute or fraud case differs, the ask from the Fraud Team to the customer may vary. Our Customer Service Team can check the progress of an on going investigation for you and link in with the Fraud Team on your behalf.

We're really sorry to hear this has been your experience with us and we do hope in time your views may change and you will continue banking with us.

Please be assured, once you send the supporting documentation the Fraud Team will be able to progress further with this for you.

Many thanks
    Alison

Advertisement