Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Early exit fee

Options
  • 09-05-2019 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I signed up for the ValueSaver electricity in December 2018 and got the 150 cash back. If I switch provider now I understand there's an early exit fee of 50 euro but is there a claw back on the 150 also?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi KingCong,

Only the €50 exit fee would apply.

Just for general information, if a customer switches away early during the 12-month contract and their account is still in credit from the switching bonus, even with the €50 exit fee taken into account, the remaining credit from the switching bonus needs to remain on their Electric Ireland account.

If you do switch, we hope you return to Electric Ireland in the future.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Hi KingCong,

Only the €50 exit fee would apply.

Just for general information, if a customer switches away early during the 12-month contract and their account is still in credit from the switching bonus, even with the €50 exit fee taken into account, the remaining credit from the switching bonus needs to remain on their Electric Ireland account.

If you do switch, we hope you return to Electric Ireland in the future.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Best regards,
    Una
    Thanks for the info, I've no credit left on my account but just to clarify, say I signed up with EI and got 150 credit, first bill comes in and is 75 euro so I have 75 credit left, I then switch and incur the 50 euro early termination fee leaving 25 euro credit on the account. Your saying this 25 euro remains on the account (I wouldn't expect to get a cash refund in this case), would this still be there if you signed back up for EI the follow year?

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi KingKong,

Thank you for your reply.

If a customer breaks their contract and leaves with their account in credit due to the switching bonus, it can be used at a later stage if the customer reopens their Electric Ireland account. As per the terms and conditions of the switching bonus, there is no cash alternative or refund available for this bonus. This is an energy credit and can just go towards bills with Electric Ireland.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭littlelady81

Hi KingKong,

Thank you for your reply.

If a customer breaks their contract and leaves with their account in credit due to the switching bonus, it can be used at a later stage if the customer reopens their Electric Ireland account. As per the terms and conditions of the switching bonus, there is no cash alternative or refund available for this bonus. This is an energy credit and can just go towards bills with Electric Ireland.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife
    Hi Aoife

What happens if I leave contract early. I have used the early bonus but also paid a number of bills since. What is the penalty is it just the ,€50 or is the cash bonus to be paid back also. My contract end date would be August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi littlelady81,

Only the €50 exit fee would apply (per fuel if the customer has both electricity and gas).

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭littlelady81

Hi littlelady81,

Only the €50 exit fee would apply (per fuel if the customer has both electricity and gas).

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
    Una

I was contacted by one of your cancellation tram yesterday who threatened that this might also be payable so it might not be wise to change!!!

I thought it was just a scare tactic! I was right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Hi, I signed up with Electric Ireland gas over 12 months ago on May 3rd 2018 and switched to another gas provider on May 15th 2019.
    My on-line account is showing that there is a 50 euro exit fee charged to my account.

Why would I be be charged a fee for exiting? 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

niallers1 wrote:
    Hi, I signed up with Electric Ireland gas over 12 months ago on May 3rd 2018 and switched to another gas provider on May 15th 2019. My on-line account is showing that there is a 50 euro exit fee charged to my account.

18 month contract most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

RossieMan wrote: »
    18 month contract most likely.
    Hi, thanks,
    No, it's a 12 month contract. Just checked there and I actually signed up on May 1st, 2018.

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi niallers1, 

We have received your PM and we will certainly look into this for you. 

Thanks, 
    Aoife

• Advertisement
Advertisement