Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Agreed....also there are many many people who live in Kinvara/clarinbridge/Oranmore area that work in Limerick/Shannon/Ennis .....they are not going to travel via athenry in either direction

I had wondered if it would make sense to have an extra junction with the old Dublin road at Coldwood.
    That would take the oranmore traffic away but would hardly take much Clarinbridge traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

serfboard wrote: »
    Since it removed nine thousand cars a day from Clarinbridge, then I would say it worked very well.

The fact that there are still traffic jams in Clarinbridge could be due to:

a) Drivers heading to Ardrahan and points south who choose to get stuck in traffic.

b) Thanks to the atrocious "planning" around Galway (also known as getting your local TD to circumvent planning laws), there are large numbers of car-dependent people living in one-off houses between Oranmore and Ardrahan/Kinvara who the motorway could never serve.

c) People who live in Ballindereen/Kinvara and North Clare who still take the N67. This could have been alleviated if junction 17 had been built at Owenbristy, where it would have joined the R347 for Kinvara/North Burren as well as Ardrahan.

d) The fact that the Claregalway relief road, a seperate scheme no more than 2km long, seems to have disappeared into the ether.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

d) The fact that the Claregalway relief road, a seperate scheme no more than 2km long, seems to have disappeared into the ether.

Galway County Council were given a 9 figure sum to build a motorway bypass and pissed it away on this scheme which is far too geared towards N/S traffic and doesn't serve the main destinations of the M17 and M18.

I have no doubt that an N83 Claregalway Relief Road will be back on the table for the next election. In my mind it's the primary reason the N17 was redesignated N83.

They would nearly have been as well of having the M18 start at Tuam via Athenry and leaving the N17 into Galway as is for all the use the M17 is for Tuam-Galway traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

I don't see how this could be a cause of traffic jams in Clarinbridge?
    marno21 wrote: »
    leaving the N17 into Galway as is for all the use the M17 is for Tuam-Galway traffic.
    I'm a regular user of the M17, but that's because I:

a) like to travel a safe road
    b) like to travel a less-stressful road

even if it is longer in distance. I haven't found it longer in time (for city centre and west, there's not much in it time-wise), and for accessing the east side of the city it's definitely quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

@serfboard: Where and when are you travelling from to reach the city centre and west side of the city, that you haven't found it longer in time in using the M17 compared to the N83?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I could imagine the M17 being very useful to go into the city once the Galway ring road gets built.
    But at the moment the the motorway is backed up badly at Coolagh roundabout during rush hour every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Galway must have

1. The most roads which basically go nowhere and
    2. The most at-grade roundabouts

Of any city in the country. There seems to be parallel roads going everywhere especially on the east of the city.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Galway must have

1. The most roads which basically go nowhere and
    2. The most at-grade roundabouts

Of any city in the country. There seems to be parallel roads going everywhere especially on the east of the city.

They have twelve tribes in Galway, and they named the roundabouts after them. Therefore they had to have twelve roundabouts, whether they were needed or not.

Make the Bothar Ns dTreadbh free flow with bridges and underpasses, and the problem goes away. Plus continue the N6 across a new bridge over the Corrib, crossing it into Newcastle and much more public transport.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They have twelve tribes in Galway, and they named the roundabouts after them. Therefore they had to have twelve roundabouts, whether they were needed or not.

Make the Bothar Ns dTreadbh free flow with bridges and underpasses, and the problem goes away. Plus continue the N6 across a new bridge over the Corrib, crossing it into Newcastle and much more public transport.

It has been repeatedly stated on here why this is not workable and why it won't be done. The new road is the only feasible solution to the N6 issues.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The likelyhood that the naming influenced the design process is nil

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »
    The likelyhood that the naming influenced the design process is nil

Have you seen them? They are everywhere, with no logic and confusing signs.

Plus a bit of levity does no harm.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    @serfboard: Where and when are you travelling from to reach the city centre and west side of the city, that you haven't found it longer in time in using the M17 compared to the N83?
    North of Tuam and (crucially) at off-peak hours - in fairness I probably should have said that. I realise that this would not apply at peak times, which is why I said:
    I haven't found it longer in time
    I accept that Doughiska inwards and Bothar Na dTreabh outwards are a nightmare at peak times, and if I was travelling at those times I would probably still be using the N83/N84.

A lot of at-peak drivers might only use the M17 once the bypass is built - getting from the N6 to the N59 should then only take 5 minutes (roughly 9K in distance), if the bypass isn't overloaded, but that's a discussion for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

I could imagine the M17 being very useful to go into the city once the Galway ring road gets built.
    But at the moment the the motorway is backed up badly at Coolagh roundabout during rush hour every morning.

I could also imagine the sprawl-tastic nature of rural Galway with ever increasing traffic filling more space. But sure, fill your boots with tarmac lads.

I could also imagine the sprawl-tastic nature of rural Galway with ever increasing traffic filling more space. But sure, fill your boots with tarmac lads.

You're struggling lately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭plodder

Was on the M17 slip road leading to the M6 towards Dublin this afternoon, when I find a car driven by a young one, heading straight towards me in the wrong direction. I had to brake hard to avoid her. She obviously took the initial slip road off the mainline but then took the Dublin exit instead of the Galway one, then turns around on the slip road and drives back down it, does a sharp 180 degrees, and off on her way to Galway. It's hard to believe anyone who passed a driving test would do something as crazy as that, but there were no L or N plates on the car.

Earlier, I passed a car on its side on the N59 near Letterfrack, and before that, another car (driven by a tourist presumably) coming down the wrong side of the road towards Clifden also on the N59. Was glad I made it home in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

... and forming a 3 km tailback in the morning? I did not know it was such a tourist draw.

Having been stuck in this traffic jam, I can assure you it was down to the old reliable of Irish motoring; a couple of morons operating a set of temporary traffic lights; while they dug a hole into some services.

I was surprised no-one got out of their car & beat them to death with the shovel, one of them was leaning on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The amount of people I've seen trying to make a right turn on the junction in Newcastle on the west side of the quincentenary bridge is amazing, so many near misses.

I don't think the general publics inability to drive is a surprise to us though

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

plodder wrote: »
    Was on the M17 slip road leading to the M6 towards Dublin this afternoon, when I find a car driven by a young one, heading straight towards me in the wrong direction. I had to brake hard to avoid her. She obviously took the initial slip road off the mainline but then took the Dublin exit instead of the Galway one, then turns around on the slip road and drives back down it, does a sharp 180 degrees, and off on her way to Galway. It's hard to believe anyone who passed a driving test would do something as crazy as that, but there were no L or N plates on the car.

Earlier, I passed a car on its side on the N59 near Letterfrack, and before that, another car (driven by a tourist presumably) coming down the wrong side of the road towards Clifden also on the N59. Was glad I made it home in one piece.

N59 is a shocking road, particularly the Clifden side of Letterfrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭plodder

plodder wrote: »
    I was just looking at the junction layout to see how this could happen.

There are a couple of aspects that could be improved:

1) The two lanes that are about to diverge have the standard thin dashed lines which doesn't convey the fact that the two lanes are about to diverge, which is normally done by a thicker type of dashed line.

2) There is only one sign. If you miss that you could easily go wrong.

Doesn't justify doing a u-turn on a motorway of course, but I think the junction could be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Rathmorrisy 16/05/19
    Xjl7nD3.jpg
    So many people are still going the wrong way around the roundabout they are after painting in arrows

• Advertisement

The m17 at bauilphuil 19/05/19
    2aj9zw2.jpg

Should have posted this earlier since it's operating for a month now, but the new 430 bus service from GoBus, is the first scheduled service to use the M17.

(Bus Eireann's X51 and Citylink's Limerick/Cork service have used the M18 since at least the section to Gort was opened).

The timetable is here. Originating in Ballina, it serves (among others) Castlebar, Balla, Claremorris, Tuam and in the M17 to GMIT, City Centre & NUIG.

The m6 5 kms form rathmorrisy
    hYsrOh2.jpg
    When will the m17/m18 be getting service's

m17 wrote: »

M18 motorway service area at Newmarket-on-Fergus: http://t4msa.ie/m18sa.html

M6/M17/M18 motorway service area at Oranmore: http://t4msa.ie/m6sa.html

These seem to have stalled, I haven't seen any updates in some time now.

m17 wrote: »
    hYsrOh2.jpg

I noticed that one. It's odd how it's been erected though, it's almost obscured by the previous sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, the Galway plaza is being signposted as an official service area?
    Don't get me wrong I think it's a fantastic facility but it's not really a motorway services

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

flazio wrote: »
    So, the Galway plaza is being signposted as an official service area?
    Don't get me wrong I think it's a fantastic facility but it's not really a motorway services

Alot of long standing rules seem to have been broken since the M17/M18 opened.

1. Junction numbers. M17 has 3 junctions but just continues the M18 numbers
    2. R road reassignments not being done in full. Galway Coco getting away with murder not having to manage the N83 and N67
    3. Now this services rule.

Alot of long standing rules seem to have been broken since the M17/M18 opened.

1. Junction numbers. M17 has 3 junctions but just continues the M18 numbers
    2. R road reassignments not being done in full. Galway Coco getting away with murder not having to manage the N83 and N67
    3. Now this services rule.

2. Indeed. TII being burdened with an entire N83, most of which serves no useful purpose as a national road is ridiculous. At least the N66 went. There is minor merit to the N67 as it's a coast road the whole way up anyway, but a proper connection to the Ardrahan-Kinvara road would have been better (upgrades to this road would have been required but the N67 between the old N18 and Kinvara is being upgraded anyway).

3. This is a new nationwide policy. All motorways now have offline services deemed of sufficient quality now fully signposted from the mainline. On the M7 now there are signs for services at J27 (Applegreen Birdhill), J23 (Barack Obama Plaza) and J14 (Junction 14 Mayfield). Similarly on the M8 with services at J3 (Topaz Manor Stone), J8 (Topaz Cashel) and J14 (Topaz Fermoy) all signed. Not as much diversity on the M8 though.

It's odd how it's been erected though, it's almost obscured by the previous sign.
    Yeah, it almost looks like TII are playing silly buggers with this one.

@m17, unfortunately your pitcure doesn't show it, but this sign is so close to the previous sign as to be almost impossible to see while driving at anything near normal speed on a motorway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it almost looks like TII are playing silly buggers with this one.

@m17, unfortunately your pitcure doesn't show it, but this sign is so close to the previous sign as to be almost impossible to see while driving at anything near normal speed on a motorway.

I'm back there on Thursday evening I'll take a better snap

Advertisement