Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unconfident driver

• 19-04-2019 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Have my licence for just over 2 years now, but today I think I made a terrible mistake and completely ran a red light. I just did not see the light at all, so I'm not positive it was red, but all i know is that no other cars around me drove through it.
    This happened at a busy cross roads and I cannot stop thinking about what could have happened if the road had been a bit busier and cars were coming from another direction. I'm hesitant to go back on the road again. I've really lost all confidence in myself after it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You need to get back on the road again. Even if it means avoiding that intersection for a while.

Yes, what happened was scary, but it has woken you up to the fact that many people drive around paying only 50% attention to what goes on around them.

Edit, not Learning to drive. Moved to main.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Don’t worry about it, what’s done is done. just try to learn from it.
    Despite our best efforts we can become distracted at times. I know I have done a lot of silly things and I am driving a lot longer than you.
    Just try to focus on your driving and you will be fine. I would agree with biko , don’t stop even for a short break or you will find it harder to motivate yourself to get driving again.
    You were fortunate so onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’d echo the above posts. Straight back up on the horse -:)

A good idea would be to imagine you’re doing a driving lesson, or the test for the next few times you’re out.

It will help you focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you are a new driver, the majority of your capability is being taken up with just driving the car. As you get more time on the road, you will develop more and more spare capacity to the point that you will wonder how you ever missed that light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

There's a light near me that I've missed a few times, driving slowly mind. The reason is because I'm preoccupied with merging with traffic, rather that the light that can change out of sequence with the rest around it, and it can be out of view.

I kick myself after it, but just make a mental note to myself not to do it again the next time I'm there.

Absolutely no point on dwelling on it, but just keep only in mind to be a little more careful at the same light next time. That's all you can do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Regardless if I have a green light I still look in all directions to make sure nobody else is breaking the lights of whatever. So I would advise, if you don't already to look each way all the time.
    If you do that and you drove through the light and something was coming towards you, you would of seen it and stopped. Don't beat yourself up, we all make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Just learn from it. Every so often I witness something small happen on the road which in the wrong circumstances could have lead to an accident and I just add it to the 'lessons learned' pile which in the long run will make you a better driver.

You have to get back out there though, no question. I can guarantee that you won't run a red light again seeing as how badly this affected you. That's a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

I only passed my test a couple of weeks ago.

During one of my practice drives with my friend a few weeks before my test, I almost ran a red light. It was a long straight road with no traffic ahead of me, so I was focussing on distant things more than what was immediately ahead. Luckily, my friend shouted out twice that I have a red light, before we got too close. I still had to slam on the brake in order to stop before the white line since I was travelling at 50-60 km/h. There was a truck right behind us, which fortunately was coming to a stop anyway.

I was shaken, but like the poster above said, it won't happen again. Getting a friend or a relative who's an experienced driver to accompany you for a few drives might help. You'll have some moral support while you gain your confidence back.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

We all make mistakes. And driving is a skill that needs hours of experience. You get that by being aware and not distracted. Otherwise you miss stuff. I nearly missed a set of lights this week. I have over 25 years behind the wheel.

Also consider the impact of conditions. Lots of daytime driving in reasonable weather in suburbia does not build up your skillset for the cross city or cross country drive in the dark driving rain.

I used to do a lot of cross country long distance. Then nothing but suburbia for 10 years. You get out of practice. And, as you age , your "fear" increases. You can cope with more, but are more aware of what can go wrong.

TL:DL, It's a skill that needs self and situational awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Smells like a Troll's 1st attempt .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Smells like a Troll's 1st attempt .

Based on ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

1st post. New Boards sign-up. Has been here at 8:30 this evening, but has yet to reply to any of the comments posted. Not even a 'Thanks'.
    Apart from that it's a "nothing story" where apparently the OP isn't even sure what (if anything) occurred. Why sign up here to tell us all about a possible mistake ???

Maybe it's all genuine, but did you sign up to boards just to post some vague ramblings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Allinall wrote: »
    Based on ??

It's the ops first post, and there has been no further correspondence.

Edit

I've reported it as a troll post.. anyone else wants to also report the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

mikeecho wrote: »
    It's the ops first post, and there has been no further correspondence.

Edit

I've reported it as a troll post.. anyone else wants to also report the first post.

WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP has answers

It's good to report things you think are not above board, but leave it at that.
    If you start accusing people of trolling on-thread you're likely to derail thread and might end up getting thread-banned or more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement