Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Logitech Harmony Express remote with Alexa

Options
  • 16-04-2019 10:55am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Logitech have announced a new Harmony remote with Alexa built in:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/16/18311894/logitech-express-alexa-remote-control-announced-features-pricing

I was expecting they would bring out a new remote with voice assistant built in, but I have to say, this one looks very disappointing:

- WAY too expensive at $250 for what it is. IMO this is more like a $100 remote
    - Removes the screen and most of the buttons, you basically have to use Alexa for most things. I don't think voice is good enough for that level of use.
    - Alexa only, I prefer Google Assistant.

Looks disappointing IMO. This isn't the first time Logitech went the wrong way with their remotes. They once brought out an all touch screen remote, thinking that was the future, but it was a pain to use and instead they moved to the combination of small touch screen and lots of buttons, which worked much better. Seems like they forgot this lesson.

What I was hoping for.
    - Harmony Elite Remote with a mic + speaker + a voice assistant button, in addition to all the existing buttons.
    - Option to select Alexa or Google Assistant based on your preference.

Aside from this, I'd like to see them move from using Bluetooth to connect the remote to the hub to using wifi. It gives you more flexibility if the hub is in another room. Plus support for multiple hubs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yeah this does nothing for me and is very overpriced for what it is.

Let's hope there's another player on the scene soon as Logitech IOT integration is certainly not inspiring like it should when they have had a huge head start

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cavoo.com is the one I'm keeping an eye on. I don't think it is quiet their yet, but looks really interesting.

Add 4 more HDMI ports to it and sell it in Europe with support for Sky, Virgin, etc. and I'd be very tempted to give it a try.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I like how it looks and how it may operate, but I wouldnt pay for it at half that price, let alone that full price.

Advertisement