Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Fix Free

• 05-10-2015 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Water is one of our most valuable resources in Ireland. One of Irish Water’s priorities is to reduce the amount of water being wasted through leaks. To work towards this, we have introduced the First Fix Free scheme to support customers in reducing the amount of water being wasted through leaks on their properties.

The First Fix Free scheme, which has been under way for just six months, is already delivering significant results, saving over an estimated 18 million litres of water every day. This is enough water to provide the daily requirement of every home in counties such as Donegal, Tipperary or Wexford.

Irish Water’s First Fix Free offers our customers a free leak investigation on their external supply pipe and the repair of identified leaks. 

This scheme is available to domestic, metered customers who have registered with Irish Water. 

Customers will be notified by letter from Irish Water if their meter indicates a potential leak on their private property.

Before Irish Water carry out a leak investigation on your external supply pipe, a working Internal Stop Valve (ISV) must be located by the customer or accredited plumber as this is essential for Irish Water to carry out any investigation or repair works.

We would also ask that our customers carry out the following simple tests:

- Check if there is a constant sound of running water from any of your toilet cisterns.
    - Check if you can hear the water storage tank refilling when water-consuming appliances are not in use? It may be easier to hear this at night.
    - Check all your household and external garden taps for drips.
    - Check water-consuming appliances, e.g. washing machine and dishwasher, for plumbing issues such as dripping joints.

If an internal leak cannot be identified, please contact us and we can investigate further. Our contractors will call our customers to schedule a leak investigation at your convenience, to carry out a survey and determine if there is a leak on the external supply pipe.

If the leak investigation confirms that there is a leak on the external supply pipe, we will offer a free leak repair under our First Fix Free. Irish Water will send a leak repair offer and acceptance form to the property owner, which must be signed and returned to us prior to any works commencing. 

Once a signed acceptance form is received, our contractor will call the customer to arrange a suitable time to repair the leak.

Alternatively, if a leak is confirmed which is internal to the house, customers will be advised to arrange a repair themselves.

Irish Water has written to over 35,000 of those customers and alerting them of a potential leak on their property and will continue to write to our customers regarding our First Fix Free. 

Irish Water has already installed over 765,000 meters nationwide. The installation of water meters allows Irish Water to identify where customer side leaks are occurring. Irish Water expects to write to 70,000 customers by the time the metering programme is complete.  

Irish Water has already repaired almost 1,300 leaks saving over 11 million litres of water every day. A further 2,200 customers that Irish Water alerted have undertaken their own repairs saving a further 7 million of litres every day.

Repairing leaks on household water pipes whether inside or outside the house will save water and save money, in both the short and long term. It will help to secure a sustainable water supply to Irish Water customers. Repairing a leak can help to prevent reduced water pressure or supply interruptions in customers’ homes.

If you have a meter, and have been notified by Irish Water of a potential leak, contact us on the below details to find out more about the steps which can be taken to reduce leakage. 

For more information regarding the First Fix Free, please call 1890 278 278, visit www.water.ie or you can contact us by Twitter on @IWCare or Boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Hi,

I would like to get details on the criteria used by your private contractors, I believe replying here might be a good way to provide oversight to re-assure the public that funds are being spent efficiently when you engage private contractors. 

The reason for requesting this in my circumstances is that I have a visible leak which I investigated myself and have received 2 letters from Dublin City council. I actually dug up the leak and reported the source of the leak to Irish Water - it is coming from below the public footpath. However, one of your investigations team apparently arrived (I had no knowledge of this) and reported back that the leak was private side and they didn't note it would be eligible for the first fix campaign, which apparently means I have to fix it myself. I complained obviously, and I was asked to get a letter on headed paper from a plumber to state the leak is on the external pipe. I said I didn't have a plumber, I had investigated the leak myself. There is literally a river flowing from the leak onto the street from the location of the leak at the front wall of the garden. I was then asked to provide photos, which I will. 

From your own website, the contractor was supposed to contact me, which didn't happen, so my worry is that this contractor is not following procedures, falsifying site visits and getting paid for the work done. Honestly, there would be no reasonable doubt from anyone that the leak is external when you can see it plainly. 

• Company Representative Posts: 222 Verified rep Irish Water: Niamh

Hi davindub,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear that you experienced this.

Irish Water is responsible for the public water and wastewater network. If your leak has been investigated and found to be occurring on private property, this would fall outside of Irish Water’s remit to resolve. The First Fix Scheme aims to help reduce the amount of leakage occurring on private property around Ireland, and if you meet the qualifying criteria, this may be an option for you.

Following an investigation, our contractors would not be in the position to register you for a First Fix evaluation as there is qualifying criteria to avail of this scheme.

Please see here for more details concerning this scheme and you can also register yourself for evaluation for our First Fix scheme here.

If you believe that this leak is occurring from the public water mains, we would recommend submitting a plumber's report stating this as well as the photos you mentioned for further investigation.

Thanks,
    Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hi davindub,

Irish Water is responsible for the public water and wastewater network. If your leak has been investigated and found to be occurring on private property, this would fall outside of Irish Water’s remit to resolve. The First Fix Scheme aims to help reduce the amount of leakage occurring on private property around Ireland, and if you meet the qualifying criteria, this may be an option for you.

Following an investigation, our contractors would not be in the position to register you for a First Fix evaluation as there is qualifying criteria to avail of this scheme.

Please see here for more details concerning this scheme and you can also register yourself for evaluation for our First Fix scheme here.

If you believe that this leak is occurring from the public water mains, we would recommend submitting a plumber's report stating this as well as the photos you mentioned for further investigation.

Thanks,
    Niamh
    So you want the OP to pay for a plumber to show that the leak is on public property even though its obvious that the leak is on the public side?
    What happens to the contractor in this scenario where the OP does actually fork out for a plumber and the leak is indeed on public property, do they still get paid?

Hi davindub,

Thanks,
    Niamh

Hi Niamh,

Apologies if I wasn't clear, I would like to know what criteria is used to determine to qualify for 1st fix free, I have read the link, a contractor did come out but I am none the wiser as to why I don't qualify.

I'm sure the general public would also be interested in the criteria.

Just to be clear, I have sourced the leak on the private side of the meter but it is under the public footpath and coming to ground on my property, I fail to see why a contractor would determine that would not qualify for a first fix according to your post above and considering the links you posted.

Thank you.

Hi GreeBo,
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Hi davindub,

Thanks,
    Niamh
    So you want the OP to pay for a plumber to show that the leak is on public property even though its obvious that the leak is on the public side?
    What happens to the contractor in this scenario where the OP does actually fork out for a plumber and the leak is indeed on public property, do they still get paid?
    From davindub's previous message, it states that he, himself, has investigated the leak and believes it to be occurring on public property. The message also states that the crews investigated and reported that this matter is located on private property. Irish Water would need a report from a qualified plumber to show that this is occurring on the public side.

If davindub feels that this investigation is incorrect, and that the leak is on the public mains, it is his prerogative to submit a plumber's report along with the requested photos to Irish Water for further investigation.

Also, as advised, OP can register themselves for the First Fix scheme which may be able to help resolve this matter for them.

Thanks,
    Niamh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

If the leak is between the Boundary Box & the Point of Entry as in where the mains pipe enters the house / property then the customer qualifies for the First Fix repair scheme. That's was I was told and have availed off recently. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I've read this and I'm still none the wiser as the explanation conflates the terms 'public/private property' and 'public/private side'.

From the OP's description the leak appears to be downstream of the meter but still outside their property boundary, underneath the public footpath.

Is it Irish Water's responsibility to repair a leak as described above?

Hi FishOnABike,
    I've read this and I'm still none the wiser as the explanation conflates the terms 'public/private property' and 'public/private side'.

From the OP's description the leak appears to be downstream of the meter but still outside their property boundary, underneath the public footpath.

Thanks for your query.

Please see this link for information on the First Fix scheme which includes an image of the pipe responsibility layout. If the leak is occurring on the external supply pipe, this would be a private side leak; however, if OP is eligible, this leak may be resolved using the First Fix scheme.

Thanks,
    Niamh

Hi FishOnABike,

Thanks for your query.

Please see this link for information on the First Fix scheme which includes an image of the pipe responsibility layout. If the leak is occurring on the external supply pipe, this would be a private side leak; however, if OP is eligible, this leak may be resolved using the First Fix scheme.

Thanks,
    Niamh

Hi Niamh,

Can you please post the eligibility criteria???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I'm following this thread with interest, it should be as clear as water but honestly it's as clear as mud!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Irish Water: Daniel V

Hi davindub,

Thank you for your message.
    davindub wrote: »
    Hi FishOnABike,

Thanks for your query.

Thanks,
    Niamh

Hi Niamh,

You are eligible for the First Fix Free scheme if you are a domestic customer with:

- A confirmed leak on your external supply pipe;
    - An Irish water meter installed on your property;
    - Are connected to the public water mains; and
    - Have a working and accessible inside stop valve.

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Does it really matter what side of the boundary box the leak is on, the public mains side or the metered feed side? It still has to be repaired by Irish water's contractors. There's a lot to needless crap here and meanwhile there's good clean water flowing straight down into the ground. 

Investigation dig at the Boundary Box is required if the leak is proven to be on private well then show it to the customer and ask them kindly to sign the waiver for the repair. I doubt they'll refuse. Asking them to hire a plumber is a joke. The plumber will cost more than what the contractors would cost to carry out an investigation dig at the box. 

Hi Tommy Kelly,

Thank you for getting in touch.
    Does it really matter what side of the boundary box the leak is on, the public mains side or the metered feed side? It still has to be repaired by Irish water's contractors. There's a lot to needless crap here and meanwhile there's good clean water flowing straight down into the ground. 

Investigation dig at the Boundary Box is required if the leak is proven to be on private well then show it to the customer and ask them kindly to sign the waiver for the repair. I doubt they'll refuse. Asking them to hire a plumber is a joke. The plumber will cost more than what the contractors would cost to carry out an investigation dig at the box. 
    If you believe that there is a visible leak coming from a boundary box or from the public mains in your area, please feel free to PM us with more information and a member of our team will be happy to look into this.

Alternatively, if you believe there is a leak on the private side external supply pipe and you meet the criteria for the First Fix Free scheme, you can contact us and a member of our team will look into this. Please see here for www.water.ie/for-home/first-fix/ more information.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Hi davindub,

Hi FishOnABike,

Thanks for your query.

Thanks,
    Niamh

Hi Niamh,

You are eligible for the First Fix Free scheme if you are a domestic customer with:

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Thank you Daniel. 

I had already confirmed the below information with Irish Water:
    • There is a leak on the private side but external to the house (I am not a qualified plumber but the leak is actually visible), I dug up the leak and traced it under the public footpath.
    • There is a water meter
    • I am connected to the mains supply
    • And there is a working stop valve.
    [*]

I am trying to make sense of what the inspection already carried out was, I was not contacted in advance of the visit, nor was I present at the time they called out, if this was the first fix inspection, it did not comply with your advertised process which states I would have to be present. Hence, I would like to know

a) What was this inspection - was it a pre-pre-inspection call out or was it the first fix pre-inspection?
    b) What criteria was used by the private contractor to determine it was not eligible for the first fix campaign.

Thanks. 

Hi davindub,

Hi davindub,

Hi FishOnABike,

Thanks for your query.

Thanks,
    Niamh

Hi Niamh,

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Thank you Daniel. 

I had already confirmed the below information with Irish Water:
    • There is a leak on the private side but external to the house (I am not a qualified plumber but the leak is actually visible), I dug up the leak and traced it under the public footpath.
    • There is a water meter
    • I am connected to the mains supply
    • And there is a working stop valve.

[*]

I am trying to make sense of what the inspection already carried out was, I was not contacted in advance of the visit, nor was I present at the time they called out, if this was the first fix inspection, it did not comply with your advertised process which states I would have to be present. Hence, I would like to know

a) What was this inspection - was it a pre-pre-inspection call out or was it the first fix pre-inspection?
    b) What criteria was used by the private contractor to determine it was not eligible for the first fix campaign.

Thanks. 

Can you PM us with the following details and a member of our team will look into this matter for you?

- Name;
    - Contact number;
    - Address, including the county; and
    - Reference number (if applicable).

Thanks,
    Daniel

Advertisement