Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-04-2019, 10:14   #7411
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrache View Post
It's been the mood music of late, that future government over there can't be beholden by agreements from previous governments. The simple fact it'll be an international treaty of some sort escapes them.
So having Brexited, the next UK government will have to declare their intention to exit from the Withdrawal Agreement. This will require a two-year notification period during which time the backstop may be in force, and the UK and EU will have to negotiate a new Withdrawal Agreement from the Withdrawal Agreement, which we can call WA² I guess.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-04-2019, 10:17   #7412
prawnsambo

Some brexiters have left the reservation completely. Apparently it's all the Queen's fault now.

The replies are gold though.
09-04-2019, 10:19   #7413
Tell me how

The UK hard brexiteers seem to not be able to read the subtle signs of where opinions lie. Macron and Merkel meeting Varadkar recently, specifically with the effort that went in to Merkel meeting border region people and Barnier travelling to Ireland once again is all happening to bolster the impression of the EU standing with Ireland.

It is a choreographed political dance which seems to be completely wasted on many in the UK, hence the likes of Leadsom's comments above.

There are going to be fascinating documentaries and books written about all of this, and we still don't know what the ending is going to be.
09-04-2019, 10:37   #7414
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prawnsambo View Post
Some brexiters have left the reservation completely. Apparently it's all the Queen's fault now.

The replies are gold though.
these lads seem determined to delegitimize every British insitution

The crown, parliament, the judiciary etc etc

nothing is beyond sacrifice at the Brexit altar
09-04-2019, 10:41   #7415
Leroy42

I knew it would happen in the end, they have gone after everything else, but finally the Brexiteers now want rid of the queen, or to give the queen unilateral powers over parliament. TBH I'm not really sure what he actually wants.

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/st...21530480463872

So, the Monarchy can be added to the list of things the Brexiteers want to change about the UK.

GFA
House Of Lords
Judical system
Parliament
PM
Civil Servants
EU (naturally)
Ireland
France
Germany
Media
Advertisement
09-04-2019, 10:56   #7416
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
He's really annoyed that an unelected politician whose position is awarded through bloodlines, hasn't massively overreached her legal powers to save the UK from elected foreign politicians who are trying to prevent the UK from shooting its own economy in the face.

So he's calling for the replacement of said politician with "something new", clearly unaware of the irony that without this politician there is no "K" in "UK".

It comes across no more coherent than the ramblings of a vagrant handing out conspiracy theory newsletters in Hyde Park and shouting about mind control and lizards.

Or that guy who believes he's the real Taoiseach of Ireland because he performs some ancient Celtic ritual every year which the Government neglects to do.
09-04-2019, 10:58   #7417
Leroy42

So what are peoples thoughts on the EU meeting outcome on Wednesday? Will the EU grant a further extension? Will there be amendments to the WA to water down the backstop and thus give it room to pass?

Is the flextentsion idea a runner(seems crazy to me)?

Or will the EU slam the door shut and tell the UK to come back with at least a bottle of wine before they can come into the party?
09-04-2019, 11:01   #7418
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy42 View Post
So what are peoples thoughts on the EU meeting outcome on Wednesday? Will the EU grant a further extension? Will there be amendments to the WA to water down the backstop and thus give it room to pass?

Is the flextentsion idea a runner(seems crazy to me)?

Or will the EU slam the door shut and tell the UK to come back with at least a bottle of wine before they can come into the party?
I think the EU will offer a longer extension than May wants. They'll also want either a general election or a second referendum to justify it. Allowing the Tories to become more and more unhinged benefits nobody. I can't imagine that the EU will be explicit. It will have to come from May as those are her only options. If Labour run on a People's Vote platform, I can see them repeating Blair's achievement in 1997 when the Tories had drifted too far to the right.
(3) thanks from:
09-04-2019, 11:31   #7419
murphaph

If we have a long delay with Euparl elections in the UK then Brexit is effectively dead IMO.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-04-2019, 11:33   #7420
Leroy42

Yes, that is my reading of it. If they accept the EU elections in the UK, which they very much seem to be doing, then why bother leaving at all for the next few years? (that is not of course the only reason not to leave but just yet another reason)
09-04-2019, 11:36   #7421
Laois_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
I think the EU will offer a longer extension than May wants. They'll also want either a general election or a second referendum to justify it. Allowing the Tories to become more and more unhinged benefits nobody. I can't imagine that the EU will be explicit. It will have to come from May as those are her only options. If Labour run on a People's Vote platform, I can see them repeating Blair's achievement in 1997 when the Tories had drifted too far to the right.
This is what I think will happen too - although the Tories won't vote for a General Election until they get rid of May so I'm not sure even a year would be enough!

I would hope Labour would use that time also to replace Corbyn.

With that said, one of the best negotiating factors in favor of the EU is the fact that the UK are totally and utterly unprepared for a hard, no-deal Brexit. Giving them long extensions potentially weakens the EU position in the long term as it gives them the opportunity to get better organized (stop laughing)!
(2) thanks from:
09-04-2019, 11:37   #7422
VinLieger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy42 View Post
Yes, that is my reading of it. If they accept the EU elections in the UK, which they very much seem to be doing, then why bother leaving at all for the next few years? (that is not of course the only reason not to leave but just yet another reason)

Indeed and if we have at least 6 month to 1 year delay the only real argument against a 2nd ref or a GE which is the time required goes out the window.
09-04-2019, 11:37   #7423
MikeSoys

so uk government is delaying brexit again ( the more its delayed the softer its getting ( if it happens at all))- but the people did vote to leave so the peoples vote does not matter
...TM folds quicker then Superman on laundry day!!
09-04-2019, 11:38   #7424
Infini

Quote:
I honestly think it will have to be something along these lines. Britain is utterly paralysed at this point and Brexit is an utter joke and complete scam. Something needs tk give at this point.
09-04-2019, 11:39   #7425
Professor Moriarty

Quote:
There is one fly in that ointment and his name is Jeremy. At best, he is a soft Leaver. He will do everything he can to ensure there isn't a second referendum and/or that a second referendum isn't in the Labour manifesto.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion