Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2.4G Wifi on Eir F2000 Modem

• 06-07-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I recently had Eir fibre broadband installed and am very happy with it. My connection speed has moved from 8Mbps at best to 150 Mbps at best.

However I seem to have an issue with the 2.4G WiFi network. I have seen similar issues reported, but none match the symptoms I am seeing:

The download speeds on this Wifi network seem to degrade over time. It gets down to as low as about 1mbps. I can resolve it by restarting 2.4G (disable & re-enable on the router), but then it degrades again over the next 24 hours. This happens even for devices held right beside the router, so it is not a signal issue.

5G and wired work fine, but I do still need 2.4G as it has better reach (in this old house) and I still have some devices that do not support 5G

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

tombrown wrote: »
    I recently had Eir fibre broadband installed and am very happy with it. My connection speed has moved from 8Mbps at best to 150 Mbps at best.

However I seem to have an issue with the 2.4G WiFi network. I have seen similar issues reported, but none match the symptoms I am seeing:

The download speeds on this Wifi network seem to degrade over time. It gets down to as low as about 1mbps. I can resolve it by  restarting 2.4G (disable & re-enable on the router), but then it degrades again over the next 24 hours. This happens even for devices held right beside the router, so it is not a signal issue.

5G and wired work fine, but I do still need 2.4G as it has better reach (in this old house) and I still have some devices that do not support 5G

Any suggestions?
    Hi tombrown, 

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new service. 

The best advice I can offer is to contact our support team on 1890 260 260, they'll troubleshoot with you to identify the issue. They can advise you on all. 

Thanks 

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Try twiddle with settings disable ipv6
    Disable network broadcasting
    Check where you put the router is it next to a ton of wires in a cabinet
    Is there aluminium sheeting around near it.
    Get a WiFi band scanner app and check if there are any other WiFi signals broadcasting on that channel louder than yours? If so change to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Try twiddle with settings disable ipv6
    Disable network broadcasting
    Check where you put the router is it next to a ton of wires in a cabinet
    Is there aluminium sheeting around near it.
    Get a WiFi band scanner app and check if there are any other WiFi signals broadcasting on that channel louder than yours? If so change to another.
    Thanks - I'll try those. But would any of them cause 2.4G Wifi to degrade over 24 hours (vs being crap from the start) and have no impact on 5G?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I once had an issue with an neighbours old microwave from the 80s interfering with my WiFi before used to drop out almost completely for 15 minutes around the same every evening.
    Only noticed it when I was then next door and my mate was online when it dropped on him too about the same time and he commented that someone was using the microwave again and would have to wait.
    However I have not come across anything that gets weaker and weaker throuout the course of the say. 
    Is it overheating?
    A replacement modem or a better modem may resolve 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 patton43

was there any resolution to this?  Mine does the same thing all the time.  Have to restart daily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

change the wifi channel it uses 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭eir: Linzi

patton43 wrote: »
    was there any resolution to this?  Mine does the same thing all the time.  Have to restart daily.
    Hi patton43

You would have to contact our support team on 1890 260 260.

Kind Regards

Linzi

• Registered Users Posts: 4 caylus

patton43 wrote: »
    Hey Patton, can I ask what your tech level is that you're comfortable with?

I bought a TP-link archer C50 AC1200 (v4) router for 50 euros, and it solved all my Wi-Fi problems. Basically, the router handles WiFi connection to your devices, and then passes the traffic through an ethernet cable to the Eir modem/router.

I installed OpenWRT on it to increase stability and performance, but I'd describe the required technical level how to do that as moderate difficulty.

Advertisement