Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to work storage heater?

Options
  • 13-03-2019 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have general concerns about how to work my storage heaters in my new apartment. Anybody I have asked (landlord, friends, neighbours and the internet) have left me even more confused.

I have grasped the concept of the input and output settings but I cannot get heat to come out and I think the wall switches are the issue.

There are two main ones in the kitchen.

I was told they dont turn on until the night, so I was wondering why a red light is coming on at all times throughout the day (even in the mornings) with one of the heaters? Does this mean this rad is storing heat outside of the peak hours?

Also, this is only the case with one of the heaters. On the other one, it never glows red when switched on, even at night. Why does one glow red at all times and the other one does not at all?

Could you please advise what I should expect to see when I turn on the wall switches?

Also, should I leave these wall switches switched on at all times?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Clodagh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I have general concerns about how to work my storage heaters in my new apartment. Anybody I have asked (landlord, friends, neighbours and the internet) have left me even more confused.

I have grasped the concept of the input and output settings but I cannot get heat to come out and I think the wall switches are the issue.

There are two main ones in the kitchen.

I was told they dont turn on until the night, so I was wondering why a red light is coming on at all times throughout the day (even in the mornings) with one of the heaters? Does this mean this rad is storing heat outside of the peak hours?

Also, this is only the case with one of the heaters. On the other one, it never glows red when switched on, even at night. Why does one glow red at all times and the other one does not at all?

Could you please advise what I should expect to see when I turn on the wall switches?

Also, should I leave these wall switches switched on at all times?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Clodagh
    Switches should be left on at all times, if you want heat.

The neon indicators should glow at night when the heaters are "taking in" electricity. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clodaghdoyle96

Switches should be left on at all times, if you want heat.

The neon indicators should glow at night when the heaters are "taking in" electricity. 

Hi, that's great thank you.

So one glows during the day at all times. And the other does not glow at all.

So something must be wrong with them as they're not glowing at the correct intervals.. Is it my electricity provider I contact in this case or?

sugarman wrote: »
    Hi, that's great thank you.

So one glows during the day at all times. And the other does not glow at all.

So something must be wrong with them as they're not glowing at the correct intervals.. Is it my electricity provider I contact in this case or?

Nothing to do with your provider. Try find a manual or instructions online how to set your timers. There should be a brand / model number somewhere on the heater you can Google.
    How would googling the heater manuals help, if one heater has power to the wall switch during the day and the other wall switch never has power ? 

How would googling the heater manuals help, if one heater has power to the wall switch during the day and the other wall switch never has power ? 

Thanks for the help both.

Hi sugarman, the brand is creda but there are no model codes on the heaters. The creda website tells you where they should be located but they aren't they. 😂

sugarman wrote: »
    Their post isn't entirely clear, I thought they were talking about the indicators on the heater itself.

OP, if you mean these switches, they should be left on all the time.

If the red light isnt glowing when the switch is turned on and theres no heat, it probably needs a fuse changed which you'd need to contact your landlord.

Yeah I probably will contact them. Thank you!

Do you know if they should be glowing at all times of the day then? (One switch glows anytime of the day whenever I switch it on).

• Advertisement

You said you had storage heaters, then clearly NO, the supply outlet feeding them should NOT be glowing 24/7.
    When switched ON , they should glow at night time on night rate electricity.

Maybe you have a Creda combination heater, which is a storage heater and a convection heater combined, then the convection heater will run during the day (if switched On) and the storage heater will come on at night (if switched ON).

Maybe you have one of each.

Maybe a pic of what you got would help.

anything like it here ?

http://www.storage-heater.ie/newstorageheaters.html

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

The switch on the wall should always be on if you are using the storage blocks.  If there is a red light on the top of the heater, there is probably another switch on the wall that allows you to have the heater on when the stored heat is used and it sounds like that is what is on?  In my place there are 2 switches side by side, the fused one is the storage element.

Be careful with them, they are incredibly expensive to run. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi folks,

Here is some general information on the Electric Ireland website regarding storage heater usage.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement