Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Was I scammed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

David73 wrote:
    The car probably only needed a new fuel filter costing 80 euro.

Bit of a baseless leap no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

bazz26 wrote: »
    Surely a working 2008 Scenic would still be worth more than the cost of spending 1k on repairing it?

You would think so Bazz. There's 15 '08 Scenics on DD right now. Only a small few asking more than €2k. Probably 50% of them are asking under €1.6k. Hard to justify spending a Grand on one when something else on it could go tits-up next week.
    Obviously the €1k repair figure was pulled out of the Garage Owners ar$e, but if the OP believed that was the cost to repair it then getting rid of it doesn't seem like a totally crazy option.

BTW, lets hope he goes for something less Renaultish next time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Were you duped? Yes
    Is this common practice? Yes
    Do I have any fallback? No
    Should I have brought it to a reputable garage/dealer? No, the more "reputable" they are, the more you would have been duped.

If you think about why dealers give you a deal on a new car if you trade in your old one "for scrappage", they are only just reducing the massive mark-up they have on the new car, taking your second hand car, dusting it off and selling it back into the used car market. They are making two profits off you and laughing their way to the bank "See ya in 12 months for your yearly service, hahaha

My advice for anyone is to import a second hand car (while you still can) and try and find a greasy independent mechanic in the sticks who knows what he's doing and has connections for cheap parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Trekky77 wrote: »
    garage owner said it was needed for recycling
    However, today I recieved an email confirming the car for an NCT appt.
    Well, technically, it IS being recycled. Just not the way you thought :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

bfa1509 wrote: »
    If you think about why dealers give you a deal on a new car if you trade in your old one "for scrappage", they are only just reducing the massive mark-up they have on the new car, taking your second hand car, dusting it off and selling it back into the used car market. They are making two profits off you and laughing their way to the bank "See ya in 12 months for your yearly service, hahaha

Jaysis, imagine that, you're not serious are you? A business looking to make money and not operate for cost! People can shop around and buy where they want, nobody has a gun to their head.

To aliken that to what happened to the OP here is totally wrong.

A garage selling cars at a profit is a business, it's not deceitful. The OP was told their car wasn't worth fixing, conned out of it for very little money when the later actions of the garage show that the car is very much repairable. They went to a garage for profession opinion in good faith and they were lied to, to better line the garages pockets.

• Advertisement

Jaysis, imagine that, you're not serious are you? A business looking to make money and not operate for cost! People can shop around and buy where they want, nobody has a gun to their head.

Exactly. Why does this not apply here? The garage is a business too. He didn't have to take their money.
    To aliken that to what happened to the OP here is totally wrong.

A garage selling cars at a profit is a business, it's not deceitful. The OP was told their car wasn't worth fixing, conned out of it for very little money when the later actions of the garage show that the car is very much repairable. They went to a garage for profession opinion in good faith and they were lied to, to better line the garages pockets.
    The garage in the OPs case was no more decietful than a dealer would be. They are both playing on the ignorance of the customer for the sake of a profit. Nobody held a gun to anyone's head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

True but will they go into such detail. Many of these kinda situations are put off as civil matters.

If the garage do give in they have the op on the hook for the costs of the repairs. Which judging by their initial quote will be dear too. It's hard seeing any outcome being easy on the op unfortunately.
    all i can say is the garage would not rip me off like that and the gardai would not refuse to investigate
    If the garage do give in they have the op on the hook for the costs of the repairs.
    i doubt you can charge someone for work carried out during a an action of fraud. OP should see solicitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

all i can say is the garage would not rip me off like that and the gardai would not refuse to investigate

i doubt you can charge someone for work carried out during a an action of fraud. OP should see solicitor

Why would garda not refuse? are you Superman? or batman? maybe Spiderman!!! :P:P:P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why would garda not refuse? are you Superman? or batman? maybe Spiderman!!! :P:P:P:P:P
    i would write to the super in the first instance. Ever done that?
    I am not the one ripped off. i have been in a somewhat similar situation but the garage did not get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Exactly. Why does this not apply here? The garage is a business too. He didn't have to take their money.

The garage in the OPs case was no more decietful than a dealer would be. They are both playing on the ignorance of the customer for the sake of a profit. Nobody held a gun to anyone's head.

Generally when trading in to a dealer, you are trading in an operational car that you can drive away in and you can take your business where you wish.

The OP's car was a non runner, recovered to this garage who told them the car was an un-viable repair and offered to scrap the car for them, only to put it back on the road. Their options were far more limited and as a layperson they were easy pickings for a less than honest garage.

I'm probably worse for arguing the point, but how you can't see how this is different to driving your working car to a garage and looking for a trade in quote is beyond me.
    OP wrote:
    I recently had a break down in my 2008 scenic. The car wouldn’t restart and it was towed to the nearest garage. I was in contact with the garage for a few days and they said they couldn’t find the problem. Eventually the owner said the cost of fixing the engine would be close to 1 grand after labor and parts etc.
    I took this in good faith and said I would have the car towed to be scrapped. The owner however offered me €150 for parts and then he would recycle. I was happy enough to take that as it would cost the same to be scrapped. I dropped in the log book (garage owner said it was needed for recycling) and that was that.

However, today I recieved an email confirming the car for an NCT appt. I called the garage ... he spoke to a colleague who had decided he was going to take it on for a ‘project’.

Have I been duped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I see little hope for the OP in this case.

I expect it's best to move on and get another car on the road. All the best with it.

One piece of advice for the future - if you get a breakdown have your car recovered to a garage/mechanic that you know and trust.

Generally when trading in to a dealer, you are trading in an operational car that you can drive away in and you can take your business where you wish.

The OP's car was a non runner, recovered to this garage who told them the car was an un-viable repair and offered to scrap the car for them, only to put it back on the road. Their options were far more limited and as a layperson they were easy pickings for a less than honest garage.

I'm probably worse for arguing the point, but how you can't see how this is different to driving your working car to a garage and looking for a trade in quote is beyond me.

So you disagree that dealers play on the ignorance of customers for the sake of a profit? That would be a bold disagreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes ranting and raving will work

If the OP doesn't have any paperwork to say the car was going to be destroyed they haven't a leg to stand on

They got paid for the car, they willingly handed the car over to the garage...

What are the "cops" going to do?

I wouldn't take that as legal advice. I completely disagree. I doesn't look like a simple sale to me.

You could argue you had an agreement with the garage that in exchange for X they would scrap your car. Paperwork would only go towards proving the agreement but to say you don't "have a leg to stand on" without paperwork is nonsense. Loads of cases are won and / or lost on straight swearing matches between witnesses, including cases every day regarding the scope and meaning of contracts / agreements.

I don't think you'd struggle to prove what the agreement and understanding was between you and the garage unless you have reason to think it was a straight sale.

If I paid a company to take paperwork away for shredding I wouldn't expect to see it used in a national school for paper maché.

If a person, for any reason including environmental reasons, agrees with a car garage that for x sum they will turn your car into a cube then that's what they've contracted to do. They can't put it back on donedeal or paint it in Mayo colours and drive it to Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Trekky77

I was in touch with the garage again today. Long story short, the owner said I could buy the car back for €700 plus the €150 back.

At this stage I am probably go any further as it could develop into a he said she said situation and I have no faith in the garage to actually fix the vehicle.

Thanks for all your replies, I'll put it down as a lesson learned and always get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Where is the 700 figure coming from, is he claiming they have done that amount of work on it?

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Where is the 700 figure coming from, is he claiming they have done that amount of work on it?

Yes that is the amount he is saying they have done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yes that is the amount he is saying they have done on it.

Did he outline what they did?

You should look for an itemized bill before payment.

Did he outline what they did?

You should look for an itemized bill before payment.

To be honest he just threw the figure out there and said I was trouble making after I asked was he going to forge my signature on the log book.

Tired to make me out to be the one in the wrong. I have the use of an avensis for a while so I may just keep that until I buy another.

To be honest he just threw the figure out there and said I was trouble making after I asked was he going to forge my signature on the log book.

Tired to make me out to be the one in the wrong. I have the use of an avensis for a while so I may just keep that until I buy another.

Well if the Renault is actually fixed and if they did do work on the engine then 700 mightn't be the worst of prices but no one knows unless you can find out exactly what they did.

That said they sound to be a right shower, so all of this is easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

https://www.ccpc.ie Contact these guys for advice. Hope it goes well for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Well if the Renault is actually fixed and if they did do work on the engine then 700 mightn't be the worst of prices but no one knows unless you can find out exactly what they did.

That said they sound to be a right shower, so all of this is easier said than done.

I don’t mean to be rude but it seems like your taking all of this lying down? Are you getting the car back or not I’m still unsure..

Put up some sort of a fight man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I think we're all very quick to be jumping on the theoretical bandwagon here.

If we look at what happened -

Car broke down
    - would indicate an actual problem

Mechanic had it a few days and couldn't diagnose it straight away
    - so probably not a simple solution everyone is imagining

Mechanic told op how much it would be to fix and op chose not to bother, agreed the mechanic would take it for €150
    - Mechanic didn't know they weren't going to go ahead with repairs, I'm sure most customers he gives prices to just get the work done and take their car back.

Outcome - Having been left the car, mechanic has to decide what to do with it and decides it worth his time repairing it and books nct (which I presume was nearly due).

At the end of the day a second opinion may have resulted in exact same repair bill but with a tow truck bill added to it.
    Car is only worth 2-2.5k on the market, can't say i'd be too quick to be dragging it around different garages either and I certainly wouldn't have bothered getting 1k worth of repair.

Maybe keep an eye for it going up for sale and send someone to see what recent repair work is in the service manual.....which he should add if he's genuinely trying to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

True but will they go into such detail. Many of these kinda situations are put off as civil matters.

If the garage do give in they have the op on the hook for the costs of the repairs. Which judging by their initial quote will be dear too. It's hard seeing any outcome being easy on the op unfortunately.

How come? Op never agreed to any repeairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

pippip wrote: »
    ...Maybe keep an eye for it going up for sale and send someone to see what recent repair work is in the service manual.....which he should add if he's genuinely trying to sell it.

FFS...life's too short...either be happy to get your car back working for €700 or let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

newmember? wrote: »
    FFS...life's too short...either be happy to get your car back working for €700 or let it go.

We'll that would be my thoughts too but if it keeps grating on the op it's pretty much all they can do to possibly get peace of mind to confirm it actually needed the work.

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    I don’t mean to be rude but it seems like your taking all of this lying down? Are you getting the car back or not I’m still unsure..

Put up some sort of a fight man

I'm assuming you meant to quote the op in that

I'm assuming you meant to quote the op in that

Yes, my bad

grogi wrote: »
    How come? Op never agreed to any repeairs...

True. But he brought it there with the intention of getting repairs. And then unfortunately agreed to hand over the car for €150.

Hard to believe people are still siding with the garage here, the OP left under the impression the car would be scrapped and therefore an end of life cert issued, although this wasn’t in writing it was implied, not all contracts/deals are written otherwise we’d have a mass of paperwork for every little transaction. When you leave your car to be serviced or even when you buy a new pair of jeans you enter into a contract with the seller/provider.

If they fail to hold up their end of the deal it’s a breach of contact, written or not written. End of life cert or no deal, he never agreed to sell the car..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    Hard to believe people are still siding with the garage here, the OP left under the impression the car would be scrapped and therefore an end of life cert issued, although this wasn’t in writing it was implied, not all contracts/deals are written otherwise we’d have a mass of paperwork for every little transaction. When you leave your car to be serviced or even when you buy a new pair of jeans you enter into a contract with the seller/provider.

If they fail to hold up their end of the deal it’s a breach of contact, written or not written. End of life cert or no deal, he never agreed to sell the car..

It's not hard at all on here mate!

Advertisement