Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scam email to Eircom email account: Be sure to read this message! Your personal data

Options
  • 25-01-2019 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I got this nasty and abusive email today to my eircom.net email address.

Hello!

As you may have noticed, I sent you an email from your account.

This means that I have full access to your account.

I've been watching you for a few months now.

The fact is that you were infected with malware through an adult site that you visited.

If you are not familiar with this, I will explain.

Trojan Virus gives me full access and control over a computer or other device.

This means that I can see everything on your screen, turn on the camera and microphone, but you do not know about it.

I also have access to all your contacts and all your correspondence.

Why your antivirus did not detect malware?

Answer: My malware uses the driver, I update its signatures every 4 hours so that your antivirus is silent.

I made a video showing how you satisfy yourself in the left half of the screen, and in the right half you see the video that you watched.

With one click of the mouse, I can send this video to all your emails and contacts on social networks.

I can also post access to all your e-mail correspondence and messengers that you use.

If you want to prevent this,

transfer the amount of $655 to my bitcoin address (if you do not know how to do this, write to Google: "Buy Bitcoin").

My bitcoin address (BTC Wallet) is: 1Jh1miFmhTmGQvn6Zejaqg85viD4k1vVjG

After receiving the payment, I will delete the video and you will never hear me again.

I give you 48 hours to pay.

I have a notice reading this letter, and the timer will work when you see this letter.

Filing a complaint somewhere does not make sense because this email cannot be tracked like my bitcoin address.

I do not make any mistakes.

If I find that you have shared this message with someone else, the video will be immediately distributed.

Best wishes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

This is most definitely a scam. It would scare the sh1t out of some people though. I reckon it works with a small % of people. I also wonder why it is $655. Why not $650. Bit strange.
    I do not think Eir can do anything about things like this, it happens everyday to millions of people from millions of different email accounts. Impossible to end these kind of emails. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Did it actually come FROM your eir email address (TO your eir or other email address)? Look closely for small differences (0 instead of O for example).

Do NOT click on ANYTHING in the mail: Link, video, attachment, anything.

Does eir have a phishing reporting address? (Eir should be able to answer this)

Chances are that this is just a typical scam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Not just Eircom. 
    The old man got this type mail, even contained his password which was very scary for him, But he also is too old for that sort of internet...

Just a scam end of day, add to your ignores.

No harm to change password also. 

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/07/sextortion-scam-what-do-if-you-get-latest-phishing-spam-demanding-bitcoin

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

I just deleted the email. I cannot 'block sender' as it is to my address. 
    It wouldn't scare me as I wouldn't be on any websites it's talking about and the whole thing is ludicrous. 
    Does this need to be reported to the police or something? It's fairly heavy handed in the threat and intimidation department?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Guards/Police won't do anything about it. No crime has been committed until you send the person money. But if you do then in my opinion its your own fault. I believe it's a civil matter anyway so the Police probably still wouldn't do anything anyway.
    Emails like this are unfortunately now a normal day to day occurrence, there is nothing anyone can do about it as it probably came from a temporary email address that is already closed down so there is no way to track it. I usually create a infected or scam items folder and throw everything in to it, that way if I get a second one I can see if it came from the same email address and then I would report it. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 eir: Andre

sadie9 wrote: »
    I got this nasty and abusive email today to my eircom.net email address.

Hello!

As you may have noticed, I sent you an email from your account.

This means that I have full access to your account.

I've been watching you for a few months now.

The fact is that you were infected with malware through an adult site that you visited.

If you are not familiar with this, I will explain.

Trojan Virus gives me full access and control over a computer or other device.

This means that I can see everything on your screen, turn on the camera and microphone, but you do not know about it.

I also have access to all your contacts and all your correspondence.

Why your antivirus did not detect malware?

Answer: My malware uses the driver, I update its signatures every 4 hours so that your antivirus is silent.

I made a video showing how you satisfy yourself in the left half of the screen, and in the right half you see the video that you watched.

With one click of the mouse, I can send this video to all your emails and contacts on social networks.

I can also post access to all your e-mail correspondence and messengers that you use.

If you want to prevent this,

transfer the amount of $655 to my bitcoin address (if you do not know how to do this, write to Google: "Buy Bitcoin").

My bitcoin address (BTC Wallet) is: 1Jh1miFmhTmGQvn6Zejaqg85viD4k1vVjG

After receiving the payment, I will delete the video and you will never hear me again.

I give you 48 hours to pay.

I have a notice reading this letter, and the timer will work when you see this letter.

Filing a complaint somewhere does not make sense because this email cannot be tracked like my bitcoin address.

I do not make any mistakes.

If I find that you have shared this message with someone else, the video will be immediately distributed.

Best wishes!
    Hi saide9,

I completely understand your frustration on this matter. We are aware that there are scam emails in circulation at the moment this is been looked into. For more information on this matter please click here thank you.
    -Andre

Advertisement