Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

I have been following the reaction tot he Cork football plan, which aims to challenge for All Irelands in 5 years. This might be a bit ambitious given Kerry have won the last 5 minor All Irelands but none the less they recognise they are not competing and saw the need to do something about it. Have Waterford every done anything similar in either code??

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Has the venue for the Waterford Offaly league game been decided? Gas.ie still showing TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    Has the venue for the Waterford Offaly league game been decided? Gas.ie still showing TBC

Should have read gaa.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    Should have read gaa.ie

Was posted on here that it is Thurles for the game. The poster said it will be announced officially over the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

John Dee has returned to Portlaw again from Mount Sion. Probably the most notable transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭tommylad1212

DiscoStew wrote: »
    John Dee has returned to Portlaw again from Mount Sion. Probably the most notable transfer.

Again ! Is this the third time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭whiteandblue

Are they available to look at online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

How is Lismore's Iarlaith Daly playing Harty with CBC Cork? Is he living in the city? Anything to Growler?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭whiteandblue

How is Lismore's Iarlaith Daly playing Harty with CBC Cork? Is he living in the city? Anything to Growler?

I don't think he's his son but I could be wrong? He must be some schools player considering he played with Waterford under 21's last year.

CBC or Christians offer hurling scholarships to compete with other schools and with more importantly rugby within their own school and you can't play both hurling and rugby as far as I'm aware. A new principal started a few years back and promoted GAA as well as rugby. They have lads coming in from Midleton, Mallow, Douglas, Inniscarra, Carrigaline and even Lismore just for Harty Cup hurling and have excellent strength and conditioning programmes from 1st year. I know Michael Breen from Tipp started teaching there as well so they're possibly employing teachers to promote the hurling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Cake Man wrote: »
    Good to hear DLS having a good year in the Harty. Waterford colleges have been poor at this grade in the last few years and unsurprisingly our minor county teams have been average enough.
    Any stand out names to look out for that'll likely make the county minor (u17?) team later in the year?

Big difference between Harty cup and county minor now, harty being u19 and minor being u17. Some really good performance from dls players, I know Dermot Dooley said most of the team are 6th years this year, so unlikely many will be playing county minor.

Dermot Dooley is the main man over this team, with Derek McGrath and Kevin Moran teaching in the school as well they probably have some input with regards advice to players and management but it's Dooley who is running it.

Couple of interesting things from the game yesterday, there was no South Kilkenny player in the starting 15 which i found Interesting, particularly given how strong mooncoin were this year at minor level. Usually a few South kk playing with dls but not this year. The other thing was a lad called eoghan Reilly played corner forward for dls, played well too, his club listed as Middleton. I don't know if this was an error making the programme or what but very rare dls would have lads from cork playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

I don't think he's his son but I could be wrong? He must be some schools player considering he played with Waterford under 21's last year.

CBC or Christians offer hurling scholarships to compete with other schools and with more importantly rugby within their own school and you can't play both hurling and rugby as far as I'm aware. A new principal started a few years back and promoted GAA as well as rugby. They have lads coming in from Midleton, Mallow, Douglas, Inniscarra, Carrigaline and even Lismore just for Harty Cup hurling and have excellent strength and conditioning programmes from 1st year. I know Michael Breen from Tipp started teaching there as well so they're possibly employing teachers to promote the hurling as well.

He played Harty for them last year as well , and yes he is some schools player

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Big difference between Harty cup and county minor now, harty being u19 and minor being u17. Some really good performance from dls players, I know Dermot Dooley said most of the team are 6th years this year, so unlikely many will be playing county minor.

Dermot Dooley is the main man over this team, with Derek McGrath and Kevin Moran teaching in the school as well they probably have some input with regards advice to players and management but it's Dooley who is running it.

Couple of interesting things from the game yesterday, there was no South Kilkenny player in the starting 15 which i found Interesting, particularly given how strong mooncoin were this year at minor level. Usually a few South kk playing with dls but not this year. The other thing was a lad called eoghan Reilly played corner forward for dls, played well too, his club listed as Middleton. I don't know if this was an error making the programme or what but very rare dls would have lads from cork playing

Hes from passage I think mistake on programme

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

most of south kilkenny lads (mullinavat, Mooncoin, piltown, kilmacow, glenmore) go to either carrick in some cases but the majority go to the Abbey in Ferrybank, historically most of those lads would have gone to DLS - look up the 07/08 panels for eg.

most of south kilkenny lads (mullinavat, Mooncoin, piltown, kilmacow, glenmore) go to either carrick in some cases but the majority go to the Abbey in Ferrybank, historically most of those lads would have gone to DLS - look up the 07/08 panels for eg.

11 from mooncoin going to DLS in September 19 anyway

Hes from passage I think mistake on programme

Thanks for information, I did think Middleton to Waterford was some commute for school! Good player in fairness, played well.

KevIRL wrote: »
    11 from mooncoin going to DLS in September 19 anyway

Dls had a panel of 40 listed on the programme. 3 of the 40 were South Kilkenny - 2 mooncoin and 1 pilltown.

Anyway, another poster pointing out Abbey Community college in ferrybank being popular with South kk probably explains it.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Dls had a panel of 40 listed on the programme. 3 of the 40 were South Kilkenny - 2 mooncoin and 1 pilltown.

Anyway, another poster pointing out Abbey Community college in ferrybank being popular with South kk probably explains it.

Sorry I wasn't clear. 11 first years from mooncoin going to DLS in Sept 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

KevIRL wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't clear. 11 first years from mooncoin going to DLS in Sept 2019

Years ago (80’s and 90’s) de la salle teams for Harty cup would have half if not more kk reg lads on it.......not sure how many kk’s were on the double winning side in 07/08.....does anyone know.....?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Years ago (80’s and 90’s) de la salle teams for Harty cup would have half if not more kk reg lads on it.......not sure how many kk’s were on the double winning side in 07/08.....does anyone know.....?

I was in 6th year in DLS the first year they won it

Think there were 2/3 lads

Lots of funny tales about away trips for the squad lol. Great excitement around the school at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

What’s the motive behind that? He’s been with sion a good few years now and Portlaw have been going backwards at intermediate, so a bit surprising

Road-Hog wrote: »

There was a good few, Peter McCarthy (Piltown) and Danny Purcell (Mooncoin) Won AI minors with KK in 08, Neill Kelly from Piltown was a brilliant player on those DLS teams aswell. Definetly the emergence of the Abbey CC in Ferrybank (competes in the Leinster competition) as a strong hurling school has hovered up a lot of the Sth KK contingent that DLS once drew. But from a Waterford point of view it’s probably better that it’s all Waterford lads, there’s few enough getting exposure to this level of hurling as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There was a good few, Peter McCarthy (Piltown) and Danny Purcell (Mooncoin) Won AI minors with KK in 08, Neill Kelly from Piltown was a brilliant player on those DLS teams aswell. Definetly the emergence of the Abbey CC in Ferrybank (competes in the Leinster competition) as a strong hurling school has hovered up a lot of the Sth KK contingent that DLS once drew. But from a Waterford point of view it’s probably better that it’s all Waterford lads, there’s few enough getting exposure to this level of hurling as it is

Interesting to see a Waterford school competing in a Leinster competition. A bit like Roscrea playing Leinster schools rugby I suppose.

What’s the motive behind that? He’s been with sion a good few years now and Portlaw have been going backwards at intermediate, so a bit surprising

He didn't hurl at all last year

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

hardybuck wrote: »
    Interesting to see a Waterford school competing in a Leinster competition. A bit like Roscrea playing Leinster schools rugby I suppose.

The Abbey in Ferrybank was formed when the old convent (girls school) amalgamated with the Tech in Slieveure...so the Abbey assumed Slieverue's Leinster place.

The Abbey do ok in Leinster both in terms of hurling and camogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

PTH2009 wrote: »

Our punishment for breaking the training weekend rule is to play Offaly at a venue that is closer to Offaly than it is to Waterford.
    Meanwhile, Armagh's punishment for the same offence is to play their game against Clare at a Down venue that is 100 metres from the Armagh border and over 100 miles from County Clare.
    At what point should we start getting paranoid about this kind of stuff?

I guess if the school is officially situated in Co Kilkenny it must compete in Leinster competitions, similarly Roscrea school is situated in Laois as the county boundary comes in through the suburbs of the town.

To be fair The Abbey would consist of mostly sth KK folk, they’d have a few Ferrybank lads hurling with them but mostly made up of South Kilkenny clubs

Our punishment for breaking the training weekend rule is to play Offaly at a venue that is closer to Offaly than it is to Waterford.
    Meanwhile, Armagh's punishment for the same offence is to play their game against Clare at a Down venue that is 100 metres from the Armagh border and over 100 miles from County Clare.
    At what point should we start getting paranoid about this kind of stuff?

Wait til the excuse of 'crowd demands', 'No parking' etc come into play for Walsh Park and we have too travel for our home games instead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

DeiseX wrote: »
    The Abbey in Ferrybank was formed when the old convent (girls school) amalgamated with the Tech in Slieveure...so the Abbey assumed Slieverue's Leinster place.

The Abbey do ok in Leinster both in terms of hurling and camogie.

I see, interesting.

However, the school is in Waterford. Roscrea school is actually located in Offaly, so my comparison wasn't like for like.

Good to see another school in the area getting to play games at a good level though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

CCR is in Offaly. Ballyskenagh to be exact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement