Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: How did you vote (if you already have) in the Abortion referendum?
Yes 1,779 81.27%
No 410 18.73%
Voters: 2189. You may not vote on this poll

13-12-2018, 19:31   #6676
Loafing Oaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafing Oaf View Post
According to that article, the only amendments that might conceivably be passed by the Senate are liberalising ones..
This nearly happened:
https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/201...abortion-bill/

Quote:
On Tuesday, a group of pro-choice senators put forward an amendment at committee stage seeking to remove the word "serious", because they felt the risk of threat of harm to a woman should be a high enough threshold to access to abortion.
The amendment was put to a vote at Report Stage today and defeated by 15 votes to 12; which means the word "serious" remains.
But it didn't, so full steam ahead:

Quote:
Speaking on RTÉ's Drivetime, Ms Noone - who chaired the Oireachtas committee on the Eighth Amendment - said she expects the legislation to reach President Michael D Higgins' desk "very, very soon."
Advertisement
13-12-2018, 22:33   #6677
uptherebels

Send a message via AIM to uptherebels
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKK View Post
How was he going to block it?
He had every right to have his voice heard in the Seanad, as did every other senator.
Debating a bill in the houses of Oireachtas should have varied opinion, otherwise we have a serious problem in this country.

You talk about people blocking. I would be seriously concerned with our parliament if people who were elected in either chamber and were not allowed to oppose a bill. What is happening with this bill. Politicians oppose all the time in our parliament.
All I see is people getting their knickers in knots because it is Ronan Mullen, who has every right to oppose if he as a legislator believes so.
Well then maybe the good senator should have spent more time putting forward more of his own well thought out amendments instead of putting forward word for word ammendments from Mattie et al , that had been defeated in the dail.
Even if by some miracle they got passed in the seanad they would have been rejected again in the dail.
Nothing but an attempt at delaying the bill to make himself feel better and get back pat's from the anti choice/religious groupies.
People aren't giving out because Ronan used his voice. It because he didn't use his voice for anything meaningful.
20-12-2018, 13:55   #6678
Loafing Oaf

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ns-893245.html
Every county, bar two, has GPs willing to carry out abortions

Fun guessing game: Leitrim? Roscommon?

Any word of MDH signing the bill? I thought it was supposed to be this week.
20-12-2018, 14:46   #6679
Hotblack Desiato

According to the constitution it has to be signed within 5 to 7 days of being submitted to him. It can't be sooner than that.
20-12-2018, 15:42   #6680
Loafing Oaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblack Desiato View Post
According to the constitution it has to be signed within 5 to 7 days of being submitted to him. It can't be sooner than that.
Bill completed its passage through the Seanad on thursday night but it's not clear when it was 'submitted' to the Pres. How does that work anyway, slipped through the Aras letterbox? If that happened at some stage on Friday, then I suppose MDH has to put his John Hancock on it tomorrow if the proprieties are to be observed...
Advertisement
20-12-2018, 15:55   #6681
Riskymove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblack Desiato View Post
It can't be sooner than that.
it can

with the agreement of the Oireachtas the President can be asked to sign sooner. However, I presume he hasn't been asked to.
20-12-2018, 15:58   #6682
Riskymove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafing Oaf View Post
How does that work anyway, slipped through the Aras letterbox?
Army deliver it to Aras and it is formally received there
20-12-2018, 16:38   #6683
Trent Houseboat

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...dent-1.3738504

It's done
20-12-2018, 20:21   #6684
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Houseboat View Post
Honestly never thought I’d see the day in my lifetime. (before the referendum results, I mean. Obvs I knew it was going to happen after the ref happened)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-12-2018, 20:32   #6685
gctest50

(2) thanks from:
20-12-2018, 20:38   #6686
Beechwoodspark

It’s such a mess isn’t it?

Huge amount of GPs and consultants (media hasn’t picked up on this yet) won’t take part in this and as far as I can make out simple Simon is just whistling hoping something drastic will change.
Thanks from:
20-12-2018, 20:49   #6687
Billy86

What is a 'huge amount' and what prevents they clients from simply going to others who will?

No need to hope though, something drastic has changed today already.
20-12-2018, 21:00   #6688
Loafing Oaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwoodspark View Post
Of course there will be a handful of GPs who will take part but the vast majority won’t.

If you want to know why then direct your queries to simple Simon
Define a handful
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...vice-1.3526634
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he thinks 50 or 60 GPs would be sufficient to carry out abortions given that just six women in Ireland seek medical abortions every day.

Guarantee you the number participating will be a multiple of that
20-12-2018, 21:03   #6689
uptherebels

Send a message via AIM to uptherebels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwoodspark View Post
Of course there will be a handful of GPs who will take part but the vast majority won’t.

If you want to know why then direct your queries to simple Simon
The vast majority don't need to. Contrary to what the anti choice side spouted before the referendum there isn't going to be a swarm of woman rushing to the doctor's because their holidays are going to be upset. The country only needs a couple of hundred doctors, which they will have no problem in getting. I'll will take a couple of months to get to full coverage.

Last edited by uptherebels; 20-12-2018 at 21:06.
Thanks from:
20-12-2018, 21:03   #6690
Water John

This is a service that will be availed of by about 80 women per week. Don't know the number of GPs signed up but a relatively small number scattered across the country should have little difficulty providing an adequate service.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion