Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 12:36   #46
pixelburp
Moderator
 
pixelburp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,095
Not much to show here: I did have 10k written from a previous draft of an idea, but it was scattered and lacked direction in its plot / story. If nothing else, this thread has forced myself to sit down & write the potted summary of every story beat. At least now I know where the story can go, clichés be damned
pixelburp is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-11-2018, 12:41   #47
Mr E
Administrator
 
Mr E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 46,816
I did a word sprint last night with a group on the Nano Facebook page, but I'm still only about 1500 total. Work has been **** for the last few weeks.

I think need to step back and do a better outline - it will help me in the long run. I have a plan in my head but I need to make it more concrete.
Mr E is offline  
Thanks from:
07-11-2018, 17:00   #48
Hesthea
Registered User
 
Hesthea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E View Post
I did a word sprint last night with a group on the Nano Facebook page, but I'm still only about 1500 total. Work has been **** for the last few weeks.

I think need to step back and do a better outline - it will help me in the long run. I have a plan in my head but I need to make it more concrete.
That's really cool.
As long it is something enjoyable you should keep on writing even if you can't write much. But if it starts to stress you out just relax and take it easy and remember, you might not be able to write the 50k but at least you have started to go on the right direction to it
Hesthea is offline  
(3) thanks from:
28-11-2018, 11:14   #49
km85264
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
Folks
I've many times considered signing up for NaNoWriMo but never have. For me, personally, the target of close to 2000 words a day for 30 days straight is simply unachievable.
However, as November dwindles and folks have most likely either fallen by the wayside or already achieved the goal, I'd love to hear the experiences of those who gave it their best. Was it a worthwhile thing, even if it was too much to achieve in the timeframe? Or should they, as I've often wondered, convert it to National Novella Writing Month (a novella being 17.5k+ words, so about 600 a day)? Or National First Thee Chapters Writing Month might be a good target, albeit NaFiThChaWriMo doesn't really roll off the tongue :-)
Kieran
km85264 is offline  
28-11-2018, 22:43   #50
Hesthea
Registered User
 
Hesthea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by km85264 View Post
Folks
I've many times considered signing up for NaNoWriMo but never have. For me, personally, the target of close to 2000 words a day for 30 days straight is simply unachievable.
However, as November dwindles and folks have most likely either fallen by the wayside or already achieved the goal, I'd love to hear the experiences of those who gave it their best. Was it a worthwhile thing, even if it was too much to achieve in the timeframe? Or should they, as I've often wondered, convert it to National Novella Writing Month (a novella being 17.5k+ words, so about 600 a day)? Or National First Thee Chapters Writing Month might be a good target, albeit NaFiThChaWriMo doesn't really roll off the tongue :-)
Kieran
I've written at the moment 28k words and even though Nanowrimo ends in 2 days i am still writing.

My goal was not to write 50k words in 30 days but to see how much i would be able to achieve if i wrote a bit per day everyday until the last day of November.

The fact that i have written this much by itself is something to be proud of. Between work and my kid i don't have much "me time" so to speak. Hence the more i wanted to participate.

It is my 2nd time doing nano and i still haven't been able to write the 50k words. This year i am writing even less than in 2014 (Yes. You've read it right) maybe next year will be the year that i'll make it through =)

The trick is to not edit anything whatsoever and keep writing but that is extremely hard for me to do since i can't ignore it.

So, whether you write 600 or 1600 words per day, the important part is that you write a bit per day no matter if you can achieve the 50k or not. As long you feel like you have accomplished (or are accomplishing) something with it that is what it truly matters.

So, next year, i hope you participate alongside us too
Hesthea is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-11-2018, 08:59   #51
Das Kitty
Manic Pixie Dream Tarantula ☆゚.*・。゚
 
Das Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 11,828
I kept with the pace in 2015, this year I knew I wasn't going to.

I still got 10k words typed up. And I have hand written rough drafts of about 5k more that I haven't typed yet. In that sense I feel it was a success for me. It's a lot more than I would have done otherwise.
Das Kitty is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2018, 09:20   #52
pixelburp
Moderator
 
pixelburp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,095
Wrote about 10k on a story; then got frustrated, junked it and started again, writing about 5k. So ... can I say 15k?
pixelburp is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2018, 09:40   #53
km85264
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 67
It's great to hear that people aren't too worried about the 50k target and are still engaged at this point. That makes me feel better about the whole initiative.
Well done on the 28k Hesthea, that's a very impressive total. I guess the trick now is to wind down a bit come Saturday but not stop altogether.
km85264 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2018, 09:50   #54
Mr E
Administrator
 
Mr E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 46,816
I got to about 8k. With work commitments, family commitments and no free weekends, November was a bit of a write off (pun intended).

I'm still going to work away on the story in my spare time, but at my own pace from now on.
Mr E is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-11-2018, 09:54   #55
Das Kitty
Manic Pixie Dream Tarantula ☆゚.*・。゚
 
Das Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 11,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
Wrote about 10k on a story; then got frustrated, junked it and started again, writing about 5k. So ... can I say 15k?
Yes!
Das Kitty is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2018, 10:55   #56
pixelburp
Moderator
 
pixelburp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,095
I also got a little side-tracked just trying to write out a few random scenes, unrelated to that 10k blob; they were a few vignettes I couldn't stop thinking of, so took the time out to scribble them down.

But that's me to a tee: start out with one brilliant idea; get a few thousands words down; lose steam & heart; declare the idea rubbish; get distracted by newer, shinier idea
pixelburp is offline  
Thanks from:
29-11-2018, 13:52   #57
echo beach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,132
I am on about 11k, also a lot less than my last attempt in 2016, but it is 11k more than I wrote in October or September or (insert month of choice) and it has thrown up some new ideas and new characters so I'm happy(ish).
I see quite a few people at or about the target so it can be done...maybe next year.
echo beach is offline  
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2018, 21:27   #58
Hesthea
Registered User
 
Hesthea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
I also got a little side-tracked just trying to write out a few random scenes, unrelated to that 10k blob; they were a few vignettes I couldn't stop thinking of, so took the time out to scribble them down.

But that's me to a tee: start out with one brilliant idea; get a few thousands words down; lose steam & heart; declare the idea rubbish; get distracted by newer, shinier idea
The advice i could give t you about that is to not bin it. Just keep it in a different folder. Maybe you will end up connecting the two or takes pieces from one to add to the other.
Hesthea is offline  
29-11-2018, 21:32   #59
Hesthea
Registered User
 
Hesthea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E View Post
I got to about 8k. With work commitments, family commitments and no free weekends, November was a bit of a write off (pun intended).

I'm still going to work away on the story in my spare time, but at my own pace from now on.
That is the best plan. After November i will keep writing it but at a slower pace too. There are also things i want to change and others i want to do so that i can advance with it.

I saw a few bullet journals in which people gather their ideas, character info and not only in it and that might me help a lot in keeping my story on its tracks. Not to mention is also an idea of when i feel like my chara doesn't feel quite right i can always read the info about his/ her personality traits, things they like/ dislike. How they would act in certain situations to better understand them and don't lose them along the plot x)
Hesthea is offline  
Thanks from:
29-11-2018, 22:19   #60
pixelburp
Moderator
 
pixelburp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesthea View Post
The advice i could give t you about that is to not bin it. Just keep it in a different folder. Maybe you will end up connecting the two or takes pieces from one to add to the other.
Ah, for better or worse everything I write is on Google Drive so I don't bin anything, even if abandoned I have come back to old stuff, but it's maintaining the mental interest / enthusiasm that does for me every time!
pixelburp is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet