Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ballybunion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Oh! That's kitesurfing!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.vecteezy.com%2Fsystem%2Fresources%2Fpreviews%2F000%2F163%2F460%2Fnon_2x%2Fkitesurfer-vector.jpg&f=1

I was picturing this

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbeaches.com%2Fimages%2Ffeatures%2FWindsurfingEquipment.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Turns out he was / is a wind-surfer (your 2nd pic) and very experienced.

He did not round Loop Head and land in Kilkee, as many media are reporting. He crossed the Shannon (10 miles, and in the dark) and landed in townsland of Kilkee , which extends to southern shore of Clare.

Hes a nice guy, and we are all delighted here that hes safe & well.

Told a great story on Lare Late ladt Fri!!

Turns out he was / is a wind-surfer (your 2nd pic) and very experienced.

He did not round Loop Head and land in Kilkee, as many media are reporting. He crossed the Shannon (10 miles, and in the dark) and landed in townsland of Kilkee , which extends to southern shore of Clare.

Hes a nice guy, and we are all delighted here that hes safe & well.

Told a great story on Lare Late ladt Fri!!

Rider, the Late Late show from 16 November?

Rider, the Late Late show from 16 November?

Yup. Thats the one. He was on first thing, if you find the show on a viewer.

Pretty cold & wintery here. Biting breeze today, but msnaged to get in s long walk on beach today, as tide was out at my walk time. Plenty of locals there too.

Did ya see the newsletter? Theatre is in trouble again. But there seems to be a plan to save it. Also, Tommy Tiernan is coming 8th Dec. Should be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

Late late is not geoblocked so it should be watchable from the website or by installing the app on ipad or android
    https://www.rte.ie/player/gb/show/the-late-late-show-68/10965027/

• Advertisement

Thanks, Thanatosgratus.

I had given up hope with RTE Player and their hatred of AdBlocker.

Yup. Thats the one. He was on first thing, if you find the show on a viewer.

Pretty cold & wintery here. Biting breeze today, but msnaged to get in s long walk on beach today, as tide was out at my walk time. Plenty of locals there too.

Did ya see the newsletter? Theatre is in trouble again. But there seems to be a plan to save it. Also, Tommy Tiernan is coming 8th Dec. Should be good!

I just saw it now. I was in Cahill's 2-3 times in September, I might have walked right past him.

I've never been inside the Theatre. I've seen photos. Looks like a nice place.

Am out walking more often now, so seeing more.

Things I saw today-

More LED street lights near beach.
    Ground level lights being installed / fixed along path above Gents beach.
    Rock armour on beach (along by Golf Course) being worked on.
    Last of the old houses (near the cliff) on Ladies Beach knocked down . Was this a tea house years ago? Lots of building materials around too, so maybe new house going in.
    Tommy Tiernan is on in thratre this Sat.
    Petrol & diesel is same price in Buckleys. Not sure if its just a billboard display error!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Petrol & diesel is same price in Buckleys. Not sure if its just a billboard display error!

Was wondering the same thing yesterday when I saw it as well.

Diesel price dropping all over the country. Went Crimbo shopping in Ikea (thats in Dublin, Snow) and got it for 1.32 a litre....

• Advertisement

....glad to be back in The Kingdom!

Kerry abu!!

d2fcb9bd62c72f67a4681765c2fcd988.jpg

On 19 March, in Ballyb, there will be an event to mark 100 years since Marconi made his wireless voice transmission across thr Atlantic. From humble Ballybunion to Nova Scotia. Guglielmo's grandson will be in attendance. As well as various radio buffs, dignatries and emergency service folk. It was a hell of an achievement. 2 generators mounted on 2 trucks ptoducing 22,000 volts to transmit the spoken message (one way).

hdg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

On 19 March, in Ballyb, there will be an event to mark 100 years since Marconi made his wireless voice transmission across thr Atlantic. From humble Ballybunion to Nova Scotia. Guglielmo's grandson will be in attendance. As well as various radio buffs, dignatries and emergency service folk. It was a hell of an achievement. 2 generators mounted on 2 trucks ptoducing 22,000 volts to transmit the spoken message (one way).

Sounds interesting, i must put that into my plans...

The Marconi 100 year celebration went very well. The weather was good to us, and 300 school children (and a few adults) learned a bit of local history..... and I met 2 princesses and a prince.... that doesn't happen every day!!

I must update the Marconi Wiki page to mention Ballyb as we are sadly missing!!

Check out article on Independant.ie

m.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/hello-canada-its-princess-marconi-calling-from-ballybunion-37931826.html

Were the races even run yesterday? No information about it anywhere on the internet. :confused:

Run Ballybunion did go ahead. Weather fab. I have no details about number of runners or winners or photos.

Next week is Women In Media

.... and also a 60k cycle in aid of Breast Cancer Ireland
    www.breastcancerireland.com/news/womens-cycling-event-of-north-kerry-in-aid-of-breast-cancer-ireland/

Run Ballybunion did go ahead. Weather fab. I have no details about number of runners or winners or photos.

Next week is Women In Media

.... and also a 60k cycle in aid of Breast Cancer Ireland
    www.breastcancerireland.com/news/womens-cycling-event-of-north-kerry-in-aid-of-breast-cancer-ireland/

Thanks, Rider. I found the results when I switched from DuckDuckGo to Google.

• Advertisement

Sunshine in Ballybunion!

c011.gif

There's a bit of beach at the bottom of the Nine Daughter's Hole? I never knew that! I thought the surf was hitting rock down there.

D-D7WGQX4AEbxGy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

There's a bit of beach at the bottom of the Nine Daughter's Hole? I never knew that! I thought the surf was hitting rock down there.

D-D7WGQX4AEbxGy.jpg

I've never seen sand down there, are you sure its not pic of somewhere else?

Cork2015! wrote: »

I got the pic from KerryGeo's twitter. I don't know what more to tell you, Cork2015.

https://twitter.com/kerry_geo

I never had the guts to walk around the outer rim of the hole.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia-cdn.tripadvisor.com%2Fmedia%2Fphoto-s%2F0b%2F60%2F5a%2Fa9%2Fphoto0jpg.jpg&f=1

There is definitely sand down there. I have stood there before when conditions are right and the tide is out far enough. Rarely happens, but possible. All the base of cliffs around there are sandy bottom.

Not 100% sure that that pic is 9 Daughters though. Angle looks funny.

New piece of kit overlooking Ladies Beach. And new benches too!

DjORrUf.jpg

New piece of kit overlooking Ladies Beach. And new benches too!

DjORrUf.jpg

Take a view o'er the mountain fine sites you'll see there
    Yes in a high rocky mountain in the west coast of Clare
    Oh the towns of Kilkee and Kilrush can be seen
    From the high rocky slopes round the cliffs of Dooneen

I've never thought of the Ladies' Strand as part of Doon, but this is the internet, not rocket science. (No need to be precise. :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

There is definitely sand down there. I have stood there before when conditions are right and the tide is out far enough. Rarely happens, but possible. All the base of cliffs around there are sandy bottom.

ya i was thinking the same myself something doesn't look right about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I am putting up a link to where you will find where that picture is from
    https://www.facebook.com/KerryGeo1/photos/pcb.2345460192363555/2345452805697627/?type=3&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARAdrRPr2L_fYYQTMa1d9xxP_PMhmpi7jqU5EOWO8oqqNBABcGARMUqhCSDIHR2e5M7mtncwXZnspEEP

Advertisement