Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router for £120

• 23-10-2018 7:21pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It was already mentioned over on the Google Wifi thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread in case people missed it.

Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router for £120 on Amazon today (down from £160ish normally):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Dual-Band-AC2600-Router/dp/B01B4X503S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540299210&sr=8-1&keywords=r7800

I bought this router a few months ago and it is absolutely excellent. Very fast performance, works great over long distance and very stable and reliable.

It is the number one rated router on Small Net Builder, a great site that reviews most routers and other network gear.

I'm getting 500mb/s two rooms away from my router. Now most people won't get that, it requires a dual stream chipset, which only newer laptops have, but it does show it's capabilities. Actually the latest high end Macbook Pro would get about 750mb/s from this router in my home :eek:

So for anyone not happy with their cheap ISP router and looking for a lot more performance and to fill in dead spots in your home, this would be a great choice to try out.

BTW some other Netgear routers are also reduced today, if you have different needs, one of those might suit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

bk wrote: »
    It was already mentioned over on the Google Wifi thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread in case people missed it.

Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router for £120 on Amazon today (down from £160ish normally):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Dual-Band-AC2600-Router/dp/B01B4X503S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540299210&sr=8-1&keywords=r7800

I bought this router a few months ago and it is absolutely excellent. Very fast performance, works great over long distance and very stable and reliable.

It is the number one rated router on Small Net Builder, a great site that reviews most routers and other network gear.

I'm getting 500mb/s two rooms away from my router. Now most people won't get that, it requires a dual stream chipset, which only newer laptops have, but it does show it's capabilities. Actually the latest high end Macbook Pro would get about 750mb/s from this router in my home :eek:

So for anyone not happy with their cheap ISP router and looking for a lot more performance and to fill in dead spots in your home, this would be a great choice to try out.

BTW some other Netgear routers are also reduced today, if you have different needs, one of those might suit.

Do you have a FTTH connection? Can you get 1Gb/s throughout on the WAN interface? I've got the R7000 and it's unable to get much more than 400Mb/s through the WAN interface

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Bought the RT-51u Asus, plugged in tonight and its abysmal. Might look at this. Its even worse than the super hub 3 from virgin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

digiman wrote: »
    Do you have a FTTH connection? Can you get 1Gb/s throughout on the WAN interface? I've got the R7000 and it's unable to get much more than 400Mb/s through the WAN interface

No sorry, Just Virgin 240Mb/s, lucky you with FTTH :)

According to the review on small net builder of the R7800 it gets 765Mb/s and 782Mb/s at the WAN, which is very good, you would never get 1Gb/s due to overheads:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32958-netgear-r7800-nighthawk-x4s-smart-wifi-gaming-router-reviewed?showall=&start=1

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

I have one of these as my main router for a good while now, it's a really excellent piece of kit and can handle multiple streaming devices with ease, also has a decent QOS set up so that you can prioritize specific devices. I would highly recommend at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Looks to be back at £160 now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

xckjoo wrote: »
    Looks to be back at £160 now

Sorry, keep an eye out, perhaps setup a camelcamelcamel price checker reminder. I got it for £120 a few months ago, so it seems this price is a semi regular thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it hits this price again during the Black Friday sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

There are 2 available "Used - Like New" from Amazon Warehouse for less than £118.

This is back in stock for Black Friday for £120 on amazon for anyone who missed it the last time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Dual-Band-AC2600-Router/dp/B01B4X503S?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_3b2a8c82_NA&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Can you replace the eir router for this without affecting eir TV do you know?

Advertisement