Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 21:57   #76
LirW
Registered User
 
LirW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,577
It's all good, seems we all need to work in a big 4 as either account, lawyer or coder in order to buy in Dublin; silly me, how did I not think about that earlier!
All the chefs, care workers, civil servants under HEO grade, nurses and guards can go to shoite and move to Balbriggan, they're not worthy for city residence.
LirW is offline  
Advertisement
11-10-2018, 22:10   #77
keane2097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by draiochtanois View Post
This post has been deleted.
Is the notion here that more than a handful of people in Facebook, Google and Microsoft in Dublin offices are being given 50k+ a year in RSUs?
keane2097 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
11-10-2018, 23:44   #78
Corb_lund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by LirW View Post
It's all good, seems we all need to work in a big 4 as either account, lawyer or coder in order to buy in Dublin; silly me, how did I not think about that earlier!
All the chefs, care workers, civil servants under HEO grade, nurses and guards can go to shoite and move to Balbriggan, they're not worthy for city residence.
Society will value things differently, just like revenue generators in a firm will earn more than say ops etc

Not sure it's feasible for everyone to have their choice of place. If more than one person wants somewhere there will be a price premium.

Care workers, nurses etc are always going to fall behind that curve?
Corb_lund is offline  
11-10-2018, 23:47   #79
Corb_lund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by keane2097 View Post
Is the notion here that more than a handful of people in Facebook, Google and Microsoft in Dublin offices are being given 50k+ a year in RSUs?
No but there are a lot of people being paid substantially more than some professions. My boss earns multiples what I do and the senior management earn multiple tens times as much as me.

Hell even just drive down through business estates at the different units. A boss owns those buildings and will have more resources etc
Corb_lund is offline  
12-10-2018, 00:06   #80
LirW
Registered User
 
LirW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corb_lund View Post
Society will value things differently, just like revenue generators in a firm will earn more than say ops etc

Not sure it's feasible for everyone to have their choice of place. If more than one person wants somewhere there will be a price premium.

Care workers, nurses etc are always going to fall behind that curve?
I don't think it's often a case of living in your area of choice but living anywhere within a reasonable distance of work.
It's all well and good talking about professional couples on quadrillion moneys but the reality is that most aren't.
I don't think it's a solution to ship off people that earn median income to Kildare and let them commute in a sub-par transport system while the city is either for top earners or people in social housing.

Yes, some people earn a lot but a hell of a lot more don't and fall behind. Upskill get isn't an option for everyone, some people love their meh paying jobs and not everyone can become a lawyer. Are they less deserving of a house anywhere close to work that's not a ridiculous commute?
LirW is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2018, 00:17   #81
Cyrus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LirW View Post
It's all good, seems we all need to work in a big 4 as either account, lawyer or coder in order to buy in Dublin; silly me, how did I not think about that earlier!
All the chefs, care workers, civil servants under HEO grade, nurses and guards can go to shoite and move to Balbriggan, they're not worthy for city residence.
Everyone can’t have what everyone wants , so obviously those who earn more will get to live in the best areas how else would it or should it work
Cyrus is offline  
12-10-2018, 08:24   #82
Interested Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by keane2097 View Post
Is the notion here that more than a handful of people in Facebook, Google and Microsoft in Dublin offices are being given 50k+ a year in RSUs?
Some might have been awarded stock that ended up at that value, sure.

I know someone who works for one of those companies, they we given stock worth about a years salary that vests over a number of years. But the share price is set at the start of employment so if the share price goes up a lot over the course of employment you can end up with a lot of money.

I have no idea if that's generous or not as things go, there might be another company that gives you two years salary worth, I have no idea.
Interested Observer is offline  
12-10-2018, 08:33   #83
Samuel T. Cogley
Registered User
 
Samuel T. Cogley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,676
Didn't the last time we had this argument, or was it the time before that - someone linked a % of households earning over X grapgh and the households over 100K were in the top 95th percentile IIRC.
Samuel T. Cogley is offline  
12-10-2018, 08:35   #84
Baby01032012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoam View Post
plus the "I'm an incredible landlord" threads... amatures should sell up and go home
No likes for your post...go figure
Baby01032012 is offline  
Advertisement
12-10-2018, 08:49   #85
Interested Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 8,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
Didn't the last time we had this argument, or was it the time before that - someone linked a % of households earning over X grapgh and the households over 100K were in the top 95th percentile IIRC.
I'm not surprised at all.
Interested Observer is offline  
12-10-2018, 08:51   #86
Corb_lund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by LirW View Post
I don't think it's often a case of living in your area of choice but living anywhere within a reasonable distance of work.
It's all well and good talking about professional couples on quadrillion moneys but the reality is that most aren't.
I don't think it's a solution to ship off people that earn median income to Kildare and let them commute in a sub-par transport system while the city is either for top earners or people in social housing.

Yes, some people earn a lot but a hell of a lot more don't and fall behind. Upskill get isn't an option for everyone, some people love their meh paying jobs and not everyone can become a lawyer. Are they less deserving of a house anywhere close to work that's not a ridiculous commute?
I'm sorry but if people are happy with their meh job then they can't be unhappy about living in a meh area?? Contrary to some opinions most people (outside of the ultrarich) actually work very hard to raise themselves above average and thus have above average cars, houses etc
Corb_lund is offline  
12-10-2018, 08:54   #87
Samuel T. Cogley
Registered User
 
Samuel T. Cogley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corb_lund View Post
I'm sorry but if people are happy with their meh job then they can't be unhappy about living in a meh area?? Contrary to some opinions most people (outside of the ultrarich) actually work very hard to raise themselves above average and thus have above average cars, houses etc
A house in Kilbarrack now commands the guts of 325K. Meh workers as you folk are putting it would no doubt be delighted with a meh area.
Samuel T. Cogley is offline  
Thanks from:
12-10-2018, 09:01   #88
beaz2018
Registered User
 
beaz2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 37
what does "meh" stand for?
beaz2018 is offline  
12-10-2018, 09:07   #89
Yamileth Substantial Grassland
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaz2018 View Post
what does "meh" stand for?
Think its the opposite of posh that we had a chat about 2 pages ago.
Yamileth Substantial Grassland is offline  
12-10-2018, 09:15   #90
Shedite27
Registered User
 
Shedite27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
Didn't the last time we had this argument, or was it the time before that - someone linked a % of households earning over X grapgh and the households over 100K were in the top 95th percentile IIRC.
Can't find the link but about a year ago I read that 7% of households earn more than €100k
Shedite27 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet