Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 04:06   #76
Calhoun
Registered User
 
Calhoun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
I am genuinely not trying to troll or be unnecessarily provocative here. This is genuinely what I have been feeling this week.

The late Emma was dealt a most cruel hand of cards. The same goes double for her bereaved children, no kids should lose their mother at this time in their lives. Emma showed immense courage to expose the failings in the system that ultimately took her life and to fight for her kids to be provided for. That was hopefully of some small comfort to her in her final months.

But. I am wondering how the circus that grew up around Emma, much of it at her instigation, was accepted and facilitated without question?

What do I mean? Emma developed a disease which is sadly commonplace. Cervical cancer takes lives in this Country probably every day. My own mother had it in her 40s and thankfully survived it. Emma was let down by a screening programme. Yes, as I've said, there were failings in the system, but it is not a diagnostic and even a screening system with all aspects at optimum can provide false negatives, or false positives.

Emma put her energy into a campaign for circumstances she shared with many other women, like Vicky Phelan. What I'm wondering is, why Emma particularly warranted a helicopter visit from the President? Two requiem masses in the full public glare, one in the de facto national cathedral when her home was in the Kerry Gaeltacht and her place of burial in Kildare? A cortege past the Parliament, Government Buildings, the Áras, the Dept of Health? It looked to me like a half-assed State funeral combined with the worst undignified aspects of Princess Diana's funeral.

I guess it comes down to me feeling very uneasy about the indignity around Emma in the past few months and around her final journey. Where was the time and privacy for her kids to come to terms with her passing? Why should they be put through that circus?

I hope Vicky Phelan has a very long time left to live, but I get the distinct impression that we would not see any of this carry-on were she to pass away.
Is this really the right thread for this?

Ill bite though, i think the difference between you and other people is you look at this as a circus, where as others look at this as a possible acknowledgement of the service that the likes of Emma and Vicky have done for the country.

Its a sad state of affairs when we become so apathetic that we look at a medical system that is far from patient first and is down right confrontational when you try and look for a settlement as just a common place illness and we should go quietly into the night. Maybe you should actually ask your mother was she happy with the service she got from her doctors at the time.

Why does this have to be Emma v Vicky or any of the other ladies or even gentlemen impacted. From what i have seen the media has given allot of time to many of the victims even the husband one of of them.

I would like to think that all the pomp and ceremony around Emma's final journey would be seen as a sign of respect to her. For me she is a modern day hero (without being OTT), she basically fought hard to make sure her kids had something after she was gone and by doing so with the others exposed a fairly horrible part of our healthcare system. I would hope that the kids can see from everything that has happened how important the impact their mother had.

I think your wrong, i think if touch wood anything happened to Vicky you would see the same public acknowledgement of respect for her.
Calhoun is online now  
Advertisement
11-10-2018, 07:49   #77
iamwhoiam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,498
What a powerful message Emma left on her funeral day . I hope the powers that be listened and heard her voice .RIP Emma and I hope your children get your strength and courage now
iamwhoiam is offline  
(3) thanks from:
11-10-2018, 15:46   #78
padd b1975
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
I am genuinely not trying to troll or be unnecessarily provocative here. This is genuinely what I have been feeling this week.

The late Emma was dealt a most cruel hand of cards. The same goes double for her bereaved children, no kids should lose their mother at this time in their lives. Emma showed immense courage to expose the failings in the system that ultimately took her life and to fight for her kids to be provided for. That was hopefully of some small comfort to her in her final months.

But. I am wondering how the circus that grew up around Emma, much of it at her instigation, was accepted and facilitated without question?

What do I mean? Emma developed a disease which is sadly commonplace. Cervical cancer takes lives in this Country probably every day. My own mother had it in her 40s and thankfully survived it. Emma was let down by a screening programme. Yes, as I've said, there were failings in the system, but it is not a diagnostic and even a screening system with all aspects at optimum can provide false negatives, or false positives.

Emma put her energy into a campaign for circumstances she shared with many other women, like Vicky Phelan. What I'm wondering is, why Emma particularly warranted a helicopter visit from the President? Two requiem masses in the full public glare, one in the de facto national cathedral when her home was in the Kerry Gaeltacht and her place of burial in Kildare? A cortege past the Parliament, Government Buildings, the Áras, the Dept of Health? It looked to me like a half-assed State funeral combined with the worst undignified aspects of Princess Diana's funeral.

I guess it comes down to me feeling very uneasy about the indignity around Emma in the past few months and around her final journey. Where was the time and privacy for her kids to come to terms with her passing? Why should they be put through that circus?

I hope Vicky Phelan has a very long time left to live, but I get the distinct impression that we would not see any of this carry-on were she to pass away.
A brave statement in the current climate.

I fear she may have been influenced by the "stick it to the man" brigade which has ended up cheapening and over-politicising her funeral service.
padd b1975 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
11-10-2018, 16:28   #79
iamwhoiam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by padd b1975 View Post
A brave statement in the current climate.

I fear she may have been influenced by the "stick it to the man" brigade which has ended up cheapening and over-politicising her funeral service.
I saw nothing whatsoever cheap about a brave woman sending out a message to those who can change policies to protect women .
iamwhoiam is offline  
12-10-2018, 01:01   #80
Larbre34
Registered User
 
Larbre34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by padd b1975 View Post
A brave statement in the current climate.

I fear she may have been influenced by the "stick it to the man" brigade which has ended up cheapening and over-politicising her funeral service.
Quite so.
Larbre34 is offline  
Advertisement
12-10-2018, 01:16   #81
road_high
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larbre34 View Post
I am genuinely not trying to troll or be unnecessarily provocative here. This is genuinely what I have been feeling this week.

The late Emma was dealt a most cruel hand of cards. The same goes double for her bereaved children, no kids should lose their mother at this time in their lives. Emma showed immense courage to expose the failings in the system that ultimately took her life and to fight for her kids to be provided for. That was hopefully of some small comfort to her in her final months.

But. I am wondering how the circus that grew up around Emma, much of it at her instigation, was accepted and facilitated without question?

What do I mean? Emma developed a disease which is sadly commonplace. Cervical cancer takes lives in this Country probably every day. My own mother had it in her 40s and thankfully survived it. Emma was let down by a screening programme. Yes, as I've said, there were failings in the system, but it is not a diagnostic and even a screening system with all aspects at optimum can provide false negatives, or false positives.

Emma put her energy into a campaign for circumstances she shared with many other women, like Vicky Phelan. What I'm wondering is, why Emma particularly warranted a helicopter visit from the President? Two requiem masses in the full public glare, one in the de facto national cathedral when her home was in the Kerry Gaeltacht and her place of burial in Kildare? A cortege past the Parliament, Government Buildings, the Áras, the Dept of Health? It looked to me like a half-assed State funeral combined with the worst undignified aspects of Princess Diana's funeral.

I guess it comes down to me feeling very uneasy about the indignity around Emma in the past few months and around her final journey. Where was the time and privacy for her kids to come to terms with her passing? Why should they be put through that circus?

I hope Vicky Phelan has a very long time left to live, but I get the distinct impression that we would not see any of this carry-on were she to pass away.
Absolutely. Unbridled unquestioning hero worship whipped into almost mass hysteria- none of us know the intimate medical details of her case- screening is never 100% accurate and nature/diseases can be so unpredictable in their manifestation. At least that is my understanding of it all.
I thought the funeral was a shocking over the top spectacle. I don’t care what sacred cows I’m slaying here- it was awful that she died so young and her young kids left behind but in all fairness the state or labs didn’t actually give her that cancer. I know dozens of friends and family over the years that died in all different circumstances of this cruel disease. Their families never got €7.5 million. They weren’t paraded across Dublin and the country as national martyrs either.
I think the whole episode was actually quite disturbing and way ott.
road_high is online now  
12-10-2018, 14:19   #82
iamwhoiam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,498
If Emma wanted to have a pink coffin with purple balloons on it and drive from Kerry to Dublin in a blaze of glory I absolutely do not understand why this should bother anyone . But of course we always get the ones who find it " wrong " or " cheap " or some other insulting word
Says way more about the posters than about Emma
iamwhoiam is offline  
(4) thanks from:
12-10-2018, 14:27   #83
Amirani
Moderator
 
Amirani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhoiam View Post
If Emma wanted to have a pink coffin with purple balloons on it and drive from Kerry to Dublin in a blaze of glory I absolutely do not understand why this should bother anyone . But of course we always get the ones who find it " wrong " or " cheap " or some other insulting word
Says way more about the posters than about Emma
Do we know that's what she wanted? Was it publicly mentioned that she wanted to be driven past Leinster House, Department of Health etc and the mass in Pro Catheral. Just pondering whether this would have been her decision or someone else's. It wouldn't be something I'd want for a family member of mine or for my kids to endure if it was me who died; just wouldn't be fair on them.

Again, if it was her wishes, then that clears things up. Not sure how it would've worked.
Amirani is offline  
12-10-2018, 14:33   #84
iamwhoiam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirani View Post
Do we know that's what she wanted? Was it publicly mentioned that she wanted to be driven past Leinster House, Department of Health etc and the mass in Pro Catheral. Just pondering whether this would have been her decision or someone else's. It wouldn't be something I'd want for a family member of mine or for my kids to endure if it was me who died; just wouldn't be fair on them.

Again, if it was her wishes, then that clears things up. Not sure how it would've worked.

Thing is it wasnt your funeral or your children or mine .It was Emmas and I for one give her the courtesy of knowing her own children and what they could endure .

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...th-874836.html

It is reported her choice of route for the cortege is to make politicians ask themselves if they could do better in future to help women affected by the cervical screening controversy.

In a statement released by her family yesterday, they said it was one Emma's wishes "to encourage those within to hold a mirror up to the organisations and agencies that they preside over politically and practically".

"Before she slipped from our world, our beloved Emma requested that her final journey should pass by Leinster House at Kildare Street, Government Buildings on Merrion Street and Department of Health on Baggot Street.

Last edited by iamwhoiam; 12-10-2018 at 14:41.
iamwhoiam is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2018, 14:53   #85
lonestar 74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 78
What's brave and courageous young woman. Who despite her illness from this horrible disease stood up and helped shine a light on this awful situation, that she and other weman find themselves in. Heart breaking for her young family. Heart felt condolences.
RIP Emma xxx
lonestar 74 is offline  
12-10-2018, 20:25   #86
N.S.A.Bot
Circler of wagons
 
N.S.A.Bot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,707
Mod- Locked for a few minutes while I polish up my ban hammer. Oh lordy their will be bans.
N.S.A.Bot is offline  
(4) thanks from:
12-10-2018, 20:35   #87
N.S.A.Bot
Circler of wagons
 
N.S.A.Bot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,707
Mod-tretorn and road_high when you get back from your bans do not post here again. To everyone else.

RIP THREAD.

Nothing else. Any other discussion can go here
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057868023 Smear Test Scandal
N.S.A.Bot is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet