Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-10-2018, 13:34   #661
expectationlost

(never know which thread to use in this forum)

I had thought that storm callum had come and gone a few weeks ago, there were news reports about it https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22St...=1042&dpr=1.25 some say potential storm Callum others just say storm Callum but I guess that never official happened. Wouldn't it be better if Met Eireann kept its list of names secret until they official announced them as storms etc, then news reports wouldn't be able to jump the gun on naming something as if its official.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-10-2018, 15:56   #662
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by expectationlost View Post
(never know which thread to use in this forum)

I had thought that storm callum had come and gone a few weeks ago, there were news reports about it https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22St...=1042&dpr=1.25 some say potential storm Callum others just say storm Callum but I guess that never official happened. Wouldn't it be better if Met Eireann kept its list of names secret until they official announced them as storms etc, then news reports wouldn't be able to jump the gun on naming something as if its official.
When Callum was used on here for the Sunday 23 September low, it was always potential Callum as it was easier to say than "that low on Sunday" so to speak. It was never officially named as the storm was dramatically downgraded on model runs closer to the time which was all reported on here and other weather forums. Not in our control how useless the media is.
10-10-2018, 18:18   #663
expectationlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
When Callum was used on here for the Sunday 23 September low, it was always potential Callum as it was easier to say than "that low on Sunday" so to speak. It was never officially named as the storm was dramatically downgraded on model runs closer to the time which was all reported on here and other weather forums. Not in our control how useless the media is.
I wasn't criticising the boards, although ( I think even saying potential callum allows confusion), I was suggesting it as something the Met might do, as discussion point. I welcomed the naming of the storms as I thought it help distinguish them but I think its better to stick with a more vague "that low on Sunday" until it actually becomes a storm or not.

Last edited by expectationlost; 10-10-2018 at 19:03.
26-11-2018, 16:14   #664
prosaic

Weather warnings: Include a probability indicator

I know a lot of people quibble about the warning system. I was just now wondering if it would help to include probability in it? Take this current weather system, Diana, where it is still not at all clear how it might play out.

One could devise a part-red part-orange warning which indicates chances for red and chances for orange, like 30%/70%. This could be a rectangle with left 1/3 of it coloured orange and right 2/3 coloured red in proportion to the probability of 30% - 70%.
26-11-2018, 16:33   #665
irishrover99

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosaic View Post
Weather warnings: Include a probability indicator

I know a lot of people quibble about the warning system. I was just now wondering if it would help to include probability in it? Take this current weather system, Diana, where it is still not at all clear how it might play out.

One could devise a part-red part-orange warning which indicates chances for red and chances for orange, like 30%/70%. This could be a rectangle with left 1/3 of it coloured orange and right 2/3 coloured red in proportion to the probability of 30% - 70%.
No. It would have to be a circle.
Pie charts all the way.
Advertisement
26-11-2018, 16:54   #666
prosaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrover99 View Post
No. It would have to be a circle.
Pie charts all the way.
My rectangle is a two sided argument. There's hardly even a point to a circle.
26-11-2018, 23:09   #667
piuswal

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosaic View Post
My rectangle is a two sided argument. There's hardly even a point to a circle.
As the warnings are aimed at the general public I suspect the view is to keep them as uncomplicated as possible.

Lokk at all of the opinions . arguments, disagreements over the simple 4 colour system at present.

Image how people would react if you start introducing probabilities.

I understand the point being amde but its the overall target audience that matters, not those that appreciate the finer points.
27-11-2018, 01:45   #668
spookwoman

No weather warning on the site for wednesday yet was mentioned on weather tonight that orange was coming wednesday.
Thanks from:
19-12-2018, 11:29   #669
Storm 10

Met Eireann Weather Warnings

The back lash has begun, they cant win

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business...gs-893018.html
Advertisement
19-12-2018, 11:43   #670
DOCARCH

Silly stuff!

Footfall might be affected one day, then made up the next!

Not as if people had decided, in advance, that last Saturday was the only day they would buy stuff for Christmas. Then Saturday arrives....bad weather....ohhh....I can't/will not now buy anything for Christmas!

I bet you footfall was well up on Sunday.
(2) thanks from:
19-12-2018, 12:35   #671
Reckless Abandonment

From a Met Eireann point they can be in an impossible position at times.

I'm in retail and it's such an interesting year to watch how different weather events have changed shoppers behaviours.

Ophelia was such a shock. first time red warning really happened.
Business didn't have a clue how to act. Very few, if any had extreme weather plans.
Customer turned it into a party. Many small shops sold more alcohol that Monday than they would at Christmas.
But the big shops didnt. Due to closing

Storm Emma
Was very similar. Small shops stayed open and got cleaned out. Bigger shops had to close ( some got destroyed )
As with Ophelia takeaways had a bumper time of it. But restaurants didn't.
Local pubs that stayed open ran out of booze. City centre ones lost out big time.

The heat wave.
This caused a huge spend in nearly all areas for the first 3/4week of it. Always amazed me how quick stores could find and sell 20tf inflatable pools.
But people soon got tired of it or ran out of money.

This some believe, it
has been somewhat responsible for what many business are seeing as a poor run up to Christmas.

Extreme weather this year has shown me new trends and taught many new things my previous 20 years didn't.

The new weather warming system M.E. are using has changed the game, in this current climate of accountability.

Both M.E. and many business are caught in a no win or big win situation .

SSW -AO and other terms like it could become things business owners will be having dreams or nightmares about

Very interesting times in both weather and business
20-12-2018, 10:03   #672
Harry Palmr

Evelyn says it's the weather that is bad not the forecasting.
(2) thanks from:
20-12-2018, 10:05   #673
zell12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
Evelyn says it's the weather that is bad not the forecasting.
She was so dismissive
20-12-2018, 16:37   #674
Discodog

The problem is the media, not the forecast, turning every forecast into a "killer" event.
(2) thanks from:
26-12-2018, 18:53   #675
expectationlost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discodog View Post
The problem is the media, not the forecast, turning every forecast into a "killer" event.
I heard or read one report where Met Eireann said that Saturday had been misreported in that they had a warning for the morning but some media had misreported it as lasting all day, can't find evidence of of this now that I look for it.

Last edited by expectationlost; 26-12-2018 at 19:10.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion