Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-09-2018, 12:37   #136
Jamie2k9

They have one poor lad controlling two crossings on the line. Is the salary correct on the add, yes its a basic job but its barly min wage. I thaught other gate keeper ads started on 30k.

Your could prob count on one hand how many crossings have changed to automatic over the last 6 years. €1 million per crossing.
Advertisement
27-09-2018, 12:40   #137
Working class heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
They have one poor lad controlling two crossings on the line. Is the salary correct on the add, yes its a basic job but its barly min wage. I thaught other gate keeper ads started on 30k.

Your could prob count on one hand how many crossings have changed to automatic over the last 6 years. €1 million per crossing.
Point of order, not all lads
Actually just read your post properly.
Just to clarify, two crossings one of which is a double gate. Six gatekeepers.
27-09-2018, 21:26   #138
road_high

Quote:

I hardly ever head south on the line but aren't all the crossings north of KK automatic now? Didn't realize there were still some manuals near Waterford.
How does it work one guy covering two level crossings? Does he hop in the car close one and back to the next one? Surely one would be closed for ages!
Didn't the gatekeeper live in the usual cottage beside the crossing and part of the deal was a free house?
27-09-2018, 22:09   #139
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
I hardly ever head south on the line but aren't all the crossings north of KK automatic now? Didn't realize there were still some manuals near Waterford.
How does it work one guy covering two level crossings? Does he hop in the car close one and back to the next one? Surely one would be closed for ages!
Didn't the gatekeeper live in the usual cottage beside the crossing and part of the deal was a free house?
Yes from Mullinavat up, there are 21 crossings (10 between Waterford/Thomastown) and 18 are automatic.

Id say he walks (if its just one person), yes likely closed for ages there was a long time where trains had to slow but they appear to have sorted that. Prob closes as soon as trains out of Waterford pass Waterford West (signal cabin).

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3271.../data=!3m1!1e3

Quote:
Point of order, not all lads
Actually just read your post properly.
Just to clarify, two crossings one of which is a double gate. Six gatekeepers.
So do two gate keepers control it or just one?, I have only ever saw one usually on the Kilkenny side of Irish's Bar.
Thanks from:
28-09-2018, 07:23   #140
Working class heroes

Quote:
Yes from Mullinavat up, there are 21 crossings (10 between Waterford/Thomastown) and 18 are automatic.

Id say he walks (if its just one person), yes likely closed for ages there was a long time where trains had to slow but they appear to have sorted that. Prob closes as soon as trains out of Waterford pass Waterford West (signal cabin).

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3271.../data=!3m1!1e3

So do two gate keepers control it or just one?, I have only ever saw one usually on the Kilkenny side of Irish's Bar.
Yes, just one.
GK gets an indication that a train is en route and closes both gates(kilmacow). Gates are very near each other(100m approximately).

Rossinan is a different XC and operated by another GK.
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 10:09   #141
Jamie2k9

Lots of positions open for DART Expansion, National Control Center and City Centre Resignaling

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/career-opportunities
02-01-2019, 08:32   #142
Jamie2k9

Now hiring drivers.

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/car...rain%20Drivers
(2) thanks from:
02-01-2019, 08:56   #143
GM228

Quote:
Looking for 100 drivers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019...train-drivers/

There has been a long term legacy agreement not to advertise externally, change was always subject to agreement, looks like that is done with, but interestingly there appears to be no new agreement on this so I'll expect a particular union to have all sorts to say about this.

Last edited by GM228; 02-01-2019 at 09:00.
Thanks from:
02-01-2019, 09:22   #144
Jamie2k9

Say in what respect?

Im sure IE are saying any new agreement for the next pay row.
Advertisement
02-01-2019, 09:49   #145
Hilly Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM228 View Post
Looking for 100 drivers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019...train-drivers/

There has been a long term legacy agreement not to advertise externally, change was always subject to agreement, looks like that is done with, but interestingly there appears to be no new agreement on this so I'll expect a particular union to have all sorts to say about this.

Nope, anyone internal can apply as well and there will be a shortage due to retirements etc.
02-01-2019, 10:30   #146
TallGlass

I thought it said 400 drivers? Internally be an easier comp, however they might need external to meet the number and female quota.

Looks like a long process.
02-01-2019, 10:31   #147
Political Wall Map

Unions couldnt get involved in this one. The only reason they are looking at external recruitment is because of the low number of internal applicants that passed assesments the last time round. So unions could have no say in it. They need drivers and cant fill from internal staff. Its not IE that set the standards anymore so the only people who could have a potential problem would be the trainers, and since the training has changed in the last couple years to suit people with no railway experience..... nothing can really be said.....

GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR PEOPLE.
02-01-2019, 10:37   #148
dashoonage

anyone know what the routs assignment will be out if this ? Will you be able to work where you live i mean ? also where does the 32 weeks training take place?
02-01-2019, 10:41   #149
Political Wall Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoonage View Post
anyone know what the routs assignment will be out if this ? Will you be able to work where you live i mean ? also where does the 32 weeks training take place?
Not really. Doest really work like that. But you could get lucky. Id say you will apply for either loco or dart. And then state preferred location either in the interview stage or during the application. 32 weeks training is in dublin. Either fairview, heuston or Inchicore.

Jump on the chance. See how the application process goes and worry about the rest after it.
02-01-2019, 11:22   #150
lfc200

Starting salary of €45K, are there shift rates, weekend rates etc on top of that or is that all in?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion