Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-09-2018, 11:36   #2161
z0oT
Registered User
 
z0oT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerLily View Post
I paid 10% at contract signing, our LTV is less than 90%.

It's not clear from your posts - Are you saying you paid 10% out of your own savings at the contract signing and then the 90% - The Help to Buy amount at closing?

Just trying to understand.

I wasn't aware that it could be done that way. I thought the Help to Buy had to be claimed and paid out at the contract signing stage.

Last edited by z0oT; 13-09-2018 at 11:39.
z0oT is offline  
Advertisement
13-09-2018, 11:43   #2162
GingerLily
Registered User
 
GingerLily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0oT View Post
It's not clear from your posts - Are you saying you paid 10% out of your own savings at the contract signing and then the 90% - The Help to Buy amount at closing?

Just trying to understand.

I wasn't aware that it could be done that way. I thought the Help to Buy had to be claimed and paid out at the contract signing stage.
We paid 10% at contract signing.

The developer claimed the HTB after we finalised snagging, and when they received the money then the sent out the final paperwork.

The bank released the funds after confirming the HTB had paid out.

That's just what happened with our house purchase.

Last edited by GingerLily; 13-09-2018 at 11:52.
GingerLily is online now  
Thanks from:
13-09-2018, 12:33   #2163
z0oT
Registered User
 
z0oT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerLily View Post
We paid 10% at contract signing.

The developer claimed the HTB after we finalised snagging, and when they received the money then the sent out the final paperwork.

The bank released the funds after confirming the HTB had paid out.

That's just what happened with our house purchase.
Thanks for clarifying.


I'll need to run our situation by the Revenue I guess.
z0oT is offline  
13-09-2018, 12:34   #2164
Atomic Pineapple
Registered User
 
Atomic Pineapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 15,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerLily View Post
We paid 10% at contract signing.

The developer claimed the HTB after we finalised snagging, and when they received the money then the sent out the final paperwork.

The bank released the funds after confirming the HTB had paid out.

That's just what happened with our house purchase.
Shouldn't you have got the HTB payment back then!?

EDIT: Ah OK, I guess because your LTV was less than 90% the HTB covered the difference?
Atomic Pineapple is offline  
14-09-2018, 09:02   #2165
z0oT
Registered User
 
z0oT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 392
At the claim stage, I gather you need to furnish Revenue with the signed contracts and signed loan offer from the bank.


What was the mortgage amount on the loan offer for those that have claimed it?


We would be at an LTV of about 85%, claiming the Help to Buy would bring us down to 80%. In our case does the loan offer we would provide to Revenue have to be specified at 80% LTV or 85% LTV? Does it matter?



I know you can't claim it at all if you're under 70% LTV.
z0oT is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 09:05   #2166
hanaimai
Registered User
 
hanaimai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0oT View Post
At the claim stage, I gather you need to furnish Revenue with the signed contracts and signed loan offer from the bank.


What was the mortgage amount on the loan offer for those that have claimed it?


We would be at an LTV of about 85%, claiming the Help to Buy would bring us down to 80%. In our case does the loan offer we would provide to Revenue have to be specified at 80% LTV or 85% LTV? Does it matter?



I know you can't claim it at all if you're under 70% LTV.
The HTB doesn't change your LTV. Your LTV is the ratio of your mortgage to the value of the house and these figures are static regardless of whether or not you avail of the HTB. For example, you purchase your house for 400,000 and take out a loan of 350,000. Your LTV is 86% and you need a deposit of 50,000. The HTB reduces the deposit, but your LTV will always stay the same.
hanaimai is offline  
14-09-2018, 09:26   #2167
GingerLily
Registered User
 
GingerLily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0oT View Post
At the claim stage, I gather you need to furnish Revenue with the signed contracts and signed loan offer from the bank.


What was the mortgage amount on the loan offer for those that have claimed it?


We would be at an LTV of about 85%, claiming the Help to Buy would bring us down to 80%. In our case does the loan offer we would provide to Revenue have to be specified at 80% LTV or 85% LTV? Does it matter?



I know you can't claim it at all if you're under 70% LTV.
If you want to change your mortgage amount you'll need to do that with the bank, the bank don't deal with revenue.
GingerLily is online now  
14-09-2018, 10:37   #2168
z0oT
Registered User
 
z0oT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanaimai View Post
The HTB doesn't change your LTV. Your LTV is the ratio of your mortgage to the value of the house and these figures are static regardless of whether or not you avail of the HTB. For example, you purchase your house for 400,000 and take out a loan of 350,000. Your LTV is 86% and you need a deposit of 50,000. The HTB reduces the deposit, but your LTV will always stay the same.
Well assuming we can get our hands on it, it'll be another 5% of the purchase price we wouldn't have got otherwise. So we'll use it to reduce the mortgage by the corresponding amount, that's the plan.

Have you availed of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerLily View Post
If you want to change your mortgage amount you'll need to do that with the bank, the bank don't deal with revenue.
Well obviously that's the case, but that's not what I'm asking at all.

Lets take example numbers to illustrate:

New Build Price: 400k
Eligible Help to Buy Amount: 20k
Available Funds for Deposit: 40k

So the final mortgage amount will either be 360k (90% LTV without the HTB) or 340k (85% LTV with the HTB).

When you provide Revenue with the Loan Offer Letter from the bank, does it need to be 340k or 360k in the above example?
z0oT is offline  
14-09-2018, 11:10   #2169
hanaimai
Registered User
 
hanaimai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0oT View Post
Well assuming we can get our hands on it, it'll be another 5% of the purchase price we wouldn't have got otherwise. So we'll use it to reduce the mortgage by the corresponding amount, that's the plan.

Have you availed of it?


Well obviously that's the case, but that's not what I'm asking at all.

Lets take example numbers to illustrate:

New Build Price: 400k
Eligible Help to Buy Amount: 20k
Available Funds for Deposit: 40k

So the final mortgage amount will either be 360k (90% LTV without the HTB) or 340k (85% LTV with the HTB).

When you provide Revenue with the Loan Offer Letter from the bank, does it need to be 340k or 360k in the above example?
Yes, I'm currently going through the process.

In your example, you just pick whichever mortgage amount you want. If you want to borrow 360k and you are eligible for 20k from the HTB, then you just need to put 20k more in to the deposit and you can keep your remaining 20k for furniture or whatever. If you'd prefer to borrow less, then you apply for a mortgage of 340k, use 20k of the HTB towards the deposit and you put up the remaining 40k required.

So it's not really a case of which one should it be, it's whichever loan amount you want to apply to the bank for and that the bank has approved for you to borrow.
hanaimai is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 11:13   #2170
GingerLily
Registered User
 
GingerLily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0oT View Post
Well assuming we can get our hands on it, it'll be another 5% of the purchase price we wouldn't have got otherwise. So we'll use it to reduce the mortgage by the corresponding amount, that's the plan.

Have you availed of it?


Well obviously that's the case, but that's not what I'm asking at all.

Lets take example numbers to illustrate:

New Build Price: 400k
Eligible Help to Buy Amount: 20k
Available Funds for Deposit: 40k

So the final mortgage amount will either be 360k (90% LTV without the HTB) or 340k (85% LTV with the HTB).

When you provide Revenue with the Loan Offer Letter from the bank, does it need to be 340k or 360k in the above example?

You will already be approved for the scheme before you send the contracts to Revenue as part of the claim stage, the loan offer you send should be the one you actually plan on drawing down - so if you want to use thr HTB to increase your deposit and reduce your mortgage you'll need a new loan offer.
GingerLily is online now  
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 11:25   #2171
z0oT
Registered User
 
z0oT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 392
Thank you both for your answers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerLily View Post
If you want to use thr HTB to increase your deposit and reduce your mortgage you'll need a new loan offer.


Crux of the issue for us is that the bank wants to see the developer registered on the list of Approved Contracters on the Revenue website before they'll reduce the amount on the Loan Offer.
z0oT is offline  
14-09-2018, 14:47   #2172
GingerLily
Registered User
 
GingerLily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0oT View Post
Thank you both for your answers.






Crux of the issue for us is that the bank wants to see the developer registered on the list of Approved Contracters on the Revenue website before they'll reduce the amount on the Loan Offer.

Can you not just get a mortgage for the higher amount? You can always pay off a large chunk early if you leave a portion of your mortgage at a variable interest rate?
GingerLily is online now  
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 16:41   #2173
z0oT
Registered User
 
z0oT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerLily View Post
Can you not just get a mortgage for the higher amount? You can always pay off a large chunk early if you leave a portion of your mortgage at a variable interest rate?
Yes, that's no issue - We already have the mortgage loan offer for the higher amount, as a contingency. It actually isn't that big of a deal if we can't claim it.



The developer we're buying from doesn't strike me as the most organized, if they're to advertise eligibility for Help to Buy, they really should have it all ironed out up front and be on that list.
z0oT is offline  
17-09-2018, 13:40   #2174
Chrisc84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1
Hey

Just wondering if someone could confirm if my understanding is correct.

I am purchasing for 225k at 90% LTV, I have 5% myself and am planning to use HTB for the other 5%. Do I pay my 5% at contract signing and then the developer will claim the other 5% from Revenue before the sale closes.

Also have people insisted on clauses being entered in the contract to account for the HTB claim being successful or is it certain to be paid out once the approval of the application has been obtained.
Chrisc84 is offline  
17-09-2018, 14:13   #2175
podgemonster
Registered User
 
podgemonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc84 View Post
Hey

Just wondering if someone could confirm if my understanding is correct.

I am purchasing for 225k at 90% LTV, I have 5% myself and am planning to use HTB for the other 5%. Do I pay my 5% at contract signing and then the developer will claim the other 5% from Revenue before the sale closes.

Also have people insisted on clauses being entered in the contract to account for the HTB claim being successful or is it certain to be paid out once the approval of the application has been obtained.
Your first question is the essence of what the scheme is for. To help first time buyers fund their deposit. However the developer is under no obligation to proceed this way and can request 10% deposit on sign off. You cannot claim your HTB grant without signed contracts. You need to clarify with the seller that they will accept what you are proposing, most will. If your developer isn't on the list of revenue developers or just a difficult company, you may need to get your own solicitor to push your case to proceed with the 5% cash and 5% HTB.

Last edited by podgemonster; 17-09-2018 at 14:17.
podgemonster is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet