Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-09-2018, 15:14   #871
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Don't forget to swipe right
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,037
Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ....... View Post
Youve got it backwards.

Rachel HAD to become the rising star because Tim was caught out. The Garda investigation on his activities was going on long before the media was reporting on it. When the Allens knew the game was up with Tim they moved to push Rachel into prime position because they knew Darina would stay with him and thus be no good to them for tv etc for some time. So Rachel was on the up and up before we all knew about Tim, but not before the Allens did.
Why do people refer to strangers by their first names?

You'd swear some people were describing the plot to some daytime soap-opera. I'm not sure what inspires such apparent infatuation with this family.
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 15:17   #872
aroundthehouse
Banned
 
aroundthehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Why do people refer to strangers by their first names?

You'd swear some people were describing the plot to some daytime soap-opera. I'm not sure what inspires such apparent infatuation with this family.
because their lives are like a soap opera, they attempt to portray this wholesome cooking family from the countryside just to make money whilst behind the scenes they are far from that
aroundthehouse is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:23   #873
The Crowman
Registered User
 
The Crowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayto lover View Post
Loads of posters have suggested that Tim took the blame for a younger family member. It might be true but it could also suggest a cunning plot to save him from family expulsion while still protecting the guilty party.
I for one am not buying that unless someone can relay a convincing story.
The man is a horrible creep, just listening to his voice on that YT video of him posted further back is enough me of his guilt
The Crowman is offline  
(3) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:25   #874
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Don't forget to swipe right
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,037
Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthehouse View Post
because their lives are like a soap opera, they attempt to portray this wholesome cooking family from the countryside just to make money whilst behind the scenes they are far from that
Isn't it all a bit nasty, though?

Imagine your Mum or your sister cooked buns for a living, and maybe did so on the telly.

Is that really a carte blanche for people to idly gossip about the innermost workings of your mind, impute all sorts of malevolent/ sinister motives to you, and talk about you as if they knew the first thing about you?

I don't think so. Most people are decent people at their core, including people contributing to this thread, probably. And i really don't see why they sometimes feel they can say what they want, in public, about total strangers.
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:29   #875
aroundthehouse
Banned
 
aroundthehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Isn't it all a bit nasty, though?

Imagine your Mum or your sister cooked buns for a living, and maybe did so on the telly.

Is that really a carte blanche for people to idly gossip about the innermost workings of your mind, impute all sorts of malevolent/ sinister motives to you, and talk about you as if they knew the first thing about you?

I don't think so. Most people are decent people at their core, including people contributing to this thread, probably. And i really don't see why they sometimes feel they can say what they want, in public, about total strangers.
because they put themselves out there in the public domain to make as much money as they can from auld ones buying their rehashed cook books, anybody willing to do that must take the good with the bad and if you are in the public eye you just wont get away with hoarding kiddie porn or peddling drugs.... its not like rachel goes on tv to bake a few buns for the love of baking....its to make as much money as they possibly can
aroundthehouse is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 15:31   #876
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Don't forget to swipe right
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,037
Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthehouse View Post
its to make as much money as they possibly can
Who cares? it's called making a living. We all try to make as much money as we can.

Fine, i'm only making a suggestion. Go back to the curtain-twitching and overly-personal accusations then.
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:34   #877
Grayson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 13,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Isn't it all a bit nasty, though?

Imagine your Mum or your sister cooked buns for a living, and maybe did so on the telly.

Is that really a carte blanche for people to idly gossip about the innermost workings of your mind, impute all sorts of malevolent/ sinister motives to you, and talk about you as if they knew the first thing about you?

I don't think so. Most people are decent people at their core, including people contributing to this thread, probably. And i really don't see why they sometimes feel they can say what they want, in public, about total strangers.
To be fair that's a debate about celebrity itself. I don't think it really matters if they're making buns or are a politician, they're in the public eye. there is a discussion about how much intrusion is allowed. Is it ok to report on a celebrity wedding, or on their crimes? Does it matter how much they put themselves out there, for example if it was a reality TV personality who's constantly trying to get themselves in a gossip magazine, is it different to a celebrity chef who just turns up for work?
I think celebrity gossip is really the lowest form of news, if it can even be called that. That however doesn't mean that it's unethical to report it.
Grayson is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:36   #878
aroundthehouse
Banned
 
aroundthehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Who cares? it's called making a living. We all try to make as much money as we can.

Fine, i'm only making a suggestion. Go back to the curtain-twitching and overly-personal accusations then.
we all try to make as much money as we can but not all of us do it in the public eye and as i have said, if you go into the public domain to make your living you must know that you are open to scrutiny and certainly selling drugs and collecting kiddie porn for people in the public eye, of course people are going to talk about it, two of the worst things anybody could do....all the while rachel is baking buns on the television whilst launching a new cookbook, it doesnt wash
aroundthehouse is offline  
(3) thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:45   #879
.......
Registered User
 
.......'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Why do people refer to strangers by their first names?

You'd swear some people were describing the plot to some daytime soap-opera. I'm not sure what inspires such apparent infatuation with this family.
Its shorter than typing "Tim Allen", "Rachel Allen", "Darina Allen" each time.

Would seem a bit odd to be typing out their whole names when the entire readership of boards.ie knows exactly who is being referred to when we refer to Tim in this thread.
....... is offline  
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 15:46   #880
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Don't forget to swipe right
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,037
Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
To be fair that's a debate about celebrity itself. I don't think it really matters if they're making buns or are a politician, they're in the public eye. there is a discussion about how much intrusion is allowed. Is it ok to report on a celebrity wedding, or on their crimes? Does it matter how much they put themselves out there, for example if it was a reality TV personality who's constantly trying to get themselves in a gossip magazine, is it different to a celebrity chef who just turns up for work?
I think celebrity gossip is really the lowest form of news, if it can even be called that. That however doesn't mean that it's unethical to report it.
Can't disagree with anything you've said, and I happen to think the story about the drug seizure is newsworthy, even the bit about the guy's family connections.

i have no issue at all with how this was reported. All I'm saying is that any ordinary family (and regardless of their fairly comfortable lives, this is just an ordinary family) must be in turmoil right now.

maybe we should have a bit of compassion and a bit of cop-on when discussing people who themselves have done nothing wrong. Do we really need to paint innocent people, running a successful business and trying to get on with their lives, in such a sinister light? What gives anyone the right to do that, isn't that just being a colossal dick?
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 15:47   #881
.......
Registered User
 
.......'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Do we really need to paint innocent people, running a successful business and trying to get on with their lives, in such a sinister light?
If you can tell us how to talk about the supporters of a convicted child pornographer in a in a non sinister light we would all be delighted to hear about it.
....... is offline  
14-09-2018, 15:56   #882
aroundthehouse
Banned
 
aroundthehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ....... View Post
If you can tell us how to talk about the supporters of a convicted child pornographer in a in a non sinister light we would all be delighted to hear about it.
here here...
aroundthehouse is offline  
14-09-2018, 16:03   #883
Grayson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 13,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Can't disagree with anything you've said, and I happen to think the story about the drug seizure is newsworthy, even the bit about the guy's family connections.

i have no issue at all with how this was reported. All I'm saying is that any ordinary family (and regardless of their fairly comfortable lives, this is just an ordinary family) must be in turmoil right now.

maybe we should have a bit of compassion and a bit of cop-on when discussing people who themselves have done nothing wrong. Do we really need to paint innocent people, running a successful business and trying to get on with their lives, in such a sinister light? What gives anyone the right to do that, isn't that just being a colossal dick?
I think it's all down to that old phrase "in the public interest". It's very broad though and there's a lot of grey areas.
Grayson is offline  
16-09-2018, 17:11   #884
thesandeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,639
We can't let Cork steal all the limelight:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-09-16-17-01-20.jpg (542.1 KB, 299 views)
thesandeman is offline  
08-10-2018, 23:38   #885
skooterblue2
Registered User
 
skooterblue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloss View Post
Young Joshua was a pal's dealer and has been importing amounts like what was reported regularly for years.

Lots of drug squad activity in Midleton over the weekend. The guards were aware him for a while, and waited until he was 18 to nab him. They plan on making an example of him so watch this space.

Of course everything I said could be fiction.
A dog never bites just the one time. I think this is perfect opportunity for him to be a role model/poster boy for "I did drugs and now I am REALLY sorry!!!". I doubt he wasnt warned to "cease and desist".
skooterblue2 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet